Devin Louis

Ask about bridge..

Do you change the strings yourself? I suspect someone in the past has wedged something in with the pins making them extra tight causing the wood to split.

I cant think how else this would happen.

Do you change the strings yourself? I suspect someone in the past has wedged something in with the pins making them extra tight causing the wood to split.

I cant think how else this would happen.

Yeah, its a new string, and I just changed it..

Before I change the string, its already like that, it still using a string from the store..

Is it normal? And do I have to service the guitar or its ok?

I wouldnt think it is normal.

If you havnt had it long take it back to the shop you bought it from and show them whats happened.

As long as the guitar stays in tune and the pins hold the strings thats the main thing but if the guitar is valuable to you then its probably best to get it looked at by someone who knows about guitars.

Unless it gets worse I would use the guitar. Someone in the past crammed a bridge pin (or two) down their holes to keep the strings from coming out.

Unfortunately that is not the way it works.

When the guitar is tuned and the strings have tension the ball end of the string pushes on the side of the pin in the hole and keeps everything in place.

Bridge pins pop out because the ball has hung up on the end of the pin and pulls it out.

To keep this from happening I put a 45 degree bend in the string about 1/8 inch before the ball. This keeps the ball away from the end of the pin when putting tension on the strings.

The bridge pins are not wedges keeping the strings in by force. The balls on the strings apply pressure to the pin from the side thus keeping it in place.

I apply only a little thumb pressure on the pins when changing strings.

I wouldnt think it is normal.

If you havnt had it long take it back to the shop you bought it from and show them whats happened.

As long as the guitar stays in tune and the pins hold the strings thats the main thing but if the guitar is valuable to you then its probably best to get it looked at by someone who knows about guitars.

Yeah, I already talked to the seller, but he insist that it was normal and nothing to worried about..

Unless it gets worse I would use the guitar. Someone in the past crammed a pin (or two) down their holes to keep the strings from coming out.

Unfortunately that is not the way it works.

When the guitar is tuned and the strings have tension the ball end of the string pushes on the side of the pin in the hole and keeps everything in place.

Bridge pins pop out because the ball has hung up on the end of the pin and pulls it out.

To keep this from happening I put a 45 degree bend in the string about 1/8 inch before the ball. This keeps the ball away from the end of the pin when putting tension on the strings.

The bridge pins are not wedges keeping the strings in by force. The balls on the strings apply pressure to the pin from the side thus keeping it in place.

I apply only a little thumb pressure on the pins when changing strings.

I do use my thumb only to push the pins, and just a little push..

I just scared it will crack more and as I said earlier to Stu74, the seller said it was normal, he said its happened because of the difference on temperature and string stretch..

Yeah, I already talked to the seller, but he insist that it was normal and nothing to worried about..

Well, a crack anywhere on a guitar is not normal.

If it really bothers you get it repaired.

If it was mine I would watch it for a while and if it doesn't get worse just play it.

If it gets worse I might also worry about the bridge lifting up off the top.

This is course just my opinion which is worth exactly what you paid for it. :escape:

I would be wondering about anyone who alleges to know about guitars, if he is telling you it's normal. It's not normal. Whether it matters is a different question. I don't know if it matters in terms of how it is likely to affect the guitar in the future , but a crack anywhere on a guitar would definitely matter to me.

The fact that it's the guy who sold you the guitar who is telling you it's normal looks frankly, highly suspicious, to me.

Why not get an independent opinion from a different store and from the tech guy at that store. He will give you an unbiased opinion, probably...unless business is slow and he's actively looking for work. If he tells you it's not normal and it needs to be fixed, or the guitar needs to be changed, go back to your first guy and confront him (in a nice way) with this news.

And then tell us what happened....and tell us if hospital visits are ok. :)

Well, a crack anywhere on a guitar is not normal.

If it really bothers you get it repaired.

If it was mine I would watch it for a while and if it doesn't get worse just play it.

If it gets worse I might also worry about the bridge lifting up off the top.

This is course just my opinion which is worth exactly what you paid for it. :escape:

It is bother me, and I'm scared it will gets worse,.

And I'm new on guitar, so it is make me panic,,

For now I'm still trying to ask a lot of different ppl about this, gets their opinion and contact my seller again..

I would be wondering about anyone who alleges to know about guitars, if he is telling you it's normal. It's not normal. Whether it matters is a different question. I don't know if it matters in terms of how it is likely to affect the guitar in the future , but a crack anywhere on a guitar would definitely matter to me.

The fact that it's the guy who sold you the guitar who is telling you it's normal looks frankly, highly suspicious, to me.

Why not get an independent opinion from a different store and from the tech guy at that store. He will give you an unbiased opinion, probably...unless business is slow and he's actively looking for work. If he tells you it's not normal and it needs to be fixed, or the guitar needs to be changed, go back to your first guy and confront him (in a nice way) with this news.

And then tell us what happened....and tell us if hospital visits are ok. :)

Yeah, that's why I still asking about this, because I had a feelings that the seller just don't want be a responsible on this one..

And so far, not only in this forum, but in my indonesian forum too, all ppl said it was not normal and it is not okay, so I already contact the seller to see what will he do about this.,

And of course I will update here..:)

Thanks all..:)

No, it isn't normal.

Yes, any crack is a bad crack and should be addressed, except perhaps on something quite vintage when we leave it alone for the sake of originality.

No, it probably won't affect the playing in the short term.

Yes it will be a problem if you ever try to sell the guitar.

No, I wouldn't buy it.

This is obviously an inexpensive guitar. But even inexpensive guitars shouldn't crack like this.

Keep in touch.

Looks like somebody beat the pins into the holes. I have never seen anything like this.

Its a brand new, and I don't think someone else has been push the pin..

No, it isn't normal.

Yes, any crack is a bad crack and should be addressed, except perhaps on something quite vintage when we leave it alone for the sake of originality.

No, it probably won't affect the playing in the short term.

Yes it will be a problem if you ever try to sell the guitar.

No, I wouldn't buy it.

This is obviously an inexpensive guitar. But even inexpensive guitars shouldn't crack like this.

Keep in touch.

Yeah, the seller already agreed to exchange the guitar, but we'll see..

Its a sigma guitar by martin co..

Thanks,.

Looks like somebody beat the pins into the holes. I have never seen anything like this.

I agree it does look like the pins have caused the problem.I thought they might have had something wedged in to make them very tight.

It must have been done when the guitar was made.Quality control or the shop you bought it from should have picked the fault up.Even if the shop thinks its normal they should have still pointed it out and given you a discount.

The bridge on this electric guitar i bought had a strange bit of corrosion in one of the holes so i got £50 knocked off the price.A new bridge would only cost me £15-£20.Any way i cleaned it up and am just keeping an eye on it.

SAM_0462.jpg

Anyway Devin be tuff and dont give in.You are the customer and the customer is always right.

I agree it does look like the pins have caused the problem.I thought they might have had something wedged in to make them very tight.

It must have been done when the guitar was made.Quality control or the shop you bought it from should have picked the fault up.Even if the shop thinks its normal they should have still pointed it out and given you a discount.

The bridge on this electric guitar i bought had a strange bit of corrosion in one of the holes so i got £50 knocked off the price.A new bridge would only cost me £15-£20.Any way i cleaned it up and am just keeping an eye on it.

SAM_0462.jpg

Anyway Devin be tuff and dont give in.You are the customer and the customer is always right.

Maybe, its 2 probability,.

Yeah, we already deal to exchange the guitar but still waiting for the confirmation when.,

When iI change the string, I just push the pin a little with my thumb, is it correct? I mean should I push it more or just a little?

Yeah, thanks Stu..

The pins should just be a little bit tight just so they grip.As you tighten the string it pulls the pin tight.

You will probably need to put a little pressure on the pin with your thumb while you tighten the string.

The 1st time i did it i watched a few You tube videos to get an idea of how its done.

The pins should just be a little bit tight just so they grip.As you tighten the string it pulls the pin tight.

You will probably need to put a little pressure on the pin with your thumb while you tighten the string.

The 1st time i did it i watched a few You tube videos to get an idea of how its done.

Yeah, me too..

I'm watching tutorial from youtube..

Restring the guitar, and setting in the pin.

Kirk'sl video.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/restring.html

Thank u..:)

Anyway, finally yesterday I met with the seller and he change my guitar with the "other" new one..:)

I'm very happy now, and I may start learning playing guitar again..:)

Eddie, u can search the video that I shared on youtube, the title is "Clean and Restring Your Taylor Guitar (Pt. 2)"

Published on Oct 6, 2008

by TaylorQualityGuitars

Heres the pict of my "new" sigma guitar :

8DBF6F10-E344-4D2C-96E7-B2AAB5ABDA4E-662-0000006A53B6F902.jpg

Devin,

Nice looking guitar. I'm sure it doesn't stay in the case much.

Mike

Yeah, I play it a lot..

Thanks btw..:)

I see,

You should do the upgrade because it is well worth the wealth of information.

Here is something that may help you.

Oh, yeah sure, I will upgrade my account,.

So have u seen the youtube video that I asked?

Thanks again for helping me..:) amd for the video too..:D