david8

1/2 size nylon stringed guitar - recommendations please!

david8    0

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a half size guitar for my 6 year old daughter to start learning. My local music shop only stocks one brand, and they seem really cheap to me. Does anyone have any recommendations? (I'm UK based)

Many thanks in advance.

David

carol m    64

I found this http://www.guitarfactory.net/Guitars_Classical/Classical_Guitars_with_pickup.htm

Cordoba La Playa Nylon string travel guitar with pickup $449 rrp

1/2 sized cutaway guitar model with built-in pickup designed for travel. Solid Cedar top with Mahogany Back & Sides. Rosewood bridge, Cedar Neck with Nato fingerboard. Cordoba 2Band Piezo pickup. Cordoba Tarpaulin Insulated Travel Bag.

Clancy    36

Thanks Eddie, will check those out. Georgia has a little 1/2 size Livingstone AG 300-B that Kirk bought her from a garage sale for $20 a couple of years back. It's ok, but I've been looking around for an upgrade for her for a while now.

Clancy

david8    0

Thank you both for the links, it's very helpful to see such a range of 1/2 size guitars. It's intersting how the prices seem to jump from toy-esq to pro-esq - I think I'll need to track down a similar shop, with a wide range, in the UK.

Stu74    35

David i am getting a Yamaha GL1 (Guitalele) for christmas off my wife.

Basically it is a ukelele sized guitar which i think would be an Ideal for a 6 year old to start learning with.It still has 6 strings and is tuned like a guitar with a capo on the 5th fret.

I know its not a half size guitar but might be worth checking out.

I think they cost just over 50 quid including a case from amazon.

There is some good review videos on Youtube.