Devin Louis

Which guitar should I purchase?

Hi, maybe this question is general, but I want to upgrade my guitar, before I use a nylon string acoustic guitar, now I want to buy some acoustic steel string guitar,.

My cousin in US said I should purchase a martin guitar, but unfortunately in indonesia theres no martin below $1k..

My budget is maks $300.,

Now I found some sigma guitar DM-1B new, its low end guitar inspected by martin & co, is it a good guitar for a beginner like me?

Or is there any other brands that good or even great based on my budget?

Thanks all,.:)

Sigma have just been started up again by a company in Germany after a long absence, think they're still connected with Martin who according to my research produced them to compete in the low to middle range market, they have good reviews and seem well built with a low action, if you can get to try one out at a store Devin it would be worth doing; to see if you like the feel of it, looks like a good guitar for the money and would suit a beginner, check out a few more in that price range if you can get to a store and see how they compare; it would be worth doing, other brands like Yamaha, Seagull, Washburn, Cort, build nice guitars in that price range, there's a fair bit of choice in that area of the market, it's just a question of which one you like the sound, look and feel of the most. best of luck with your search have a play of the Sigma etc.if you can.

Sigma have just been started up again by a company in Germany after a long absence, think they're still connected with Martin who according to my research produced them to compete in the low to middle range market, they have good reviews and seem well built with a low action, if you can get to try one out at a store Devin it would be worth doing; to see if you like the feel of it, looks like a good guitar for the money and would suit a beginner, check out a few more in that price range if you can get to a store and see how they compare; it would be worth doing, other brands like Yamaha, Seagull, Washburn, Cort, build nice guitars in that price range, there's a fair bit of choice in that area of the market, it's just a question of which one you like the sound, look and feel of the most. best of luck with your search have a play of the Sigma etc.if you can.

Yeah, under new license right?

Yeah, I saw a video on youtube reviewing a sigma guitar, it produce nice sound to my ear and he said it was the best sound that cheap guitar can make..

Eventhough on that review said a billion times that the guitar built with low quality material and said cheap over and over again, and thats make me more confused,.

These sigma I found onlline and its the only one I found and he didn't have a store..

And my other problems is seagull and washburn here still the same, only the high quality one, thats mean more than $500 or even more..:(

My goal to play guitar only for fun, not for being a real musician, or something profesional,.

I checked out the specs. on the Sigma it's not made of total bottom line material, a lot of Acoustics are made with Sitka spruce, Grover tuners etc. most of the ones in this price range are, have you got a link to the youtube video? I struggled to find one in English, the best one I found is in German, it does show off the guitar well, I can post that up if you want as it's a good video and other members could give an opinion on the sound quality. You're right to be hesitant as you are spending money on it and obviously don't want to get a bad guitar; that's why many members here recommend trying some out at a store, it's just the best way of making sure you get the right one for you; no harm buying online but it just means you don't get to play before you buy, do you have any stores near you? I did a search on Indonesia and MG Sports and Music seem to be the biggest music outlet in your Country, they mostly sell Cort guitars not too sure about the price range though, I checked their site but it has malicious bugs on it which my computer blocked, so I didn't hang about. Here are the specs for the Sigma, fellow members may have a view on them so I thought I'd post them up. I play for fun, I don't play very well but I have a lot of fun, the deals the same for hobbyists and professionals it's always best to have a guitar you feel comfortable with and enjoy playing.

Specifications - Sigma DM-1ST-BK

Body Size: Dreadnought 14 Fret

Top: Solid Spruce

Back & Sides: Mahogany

Neck: Mahogany

Nut: Bone

Saddle: Bone/Compensated

Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood

Scale Length: 25.4"

Width at Nut: 1-11/16"

Tuning Machines: Chrome, Grover Diecast

Oh yeah, I did call MG sports and music, but they don't have it, and as I know they only sell a guitar more than $500..

Oh no, the dm-1stbk with dm-1b is different guitar,,

Here's the spec :

- a dreadnought body

- laminated spruce top

- laminated mahogany back and sides

- black/white/black rosette

- scalloped x-bracing

- solid rosewood bridge

- position dot fingerboard inlays

- polished transparent gloss body and top

- chrome enclosed tuning machines with chrome buttons

- black bridge pin

- black pickguard

As I copy from www.sigmaguitars.com/dm1.html

Oh yeah, I do, heres that link,

And one more question, which one is better, nylon string or bronze string?

Oh yeah, I did call MG sports and music, but they don't have it, and as I know they only sell a guitar more than $500..

Oh no, the dm-1stbk with dm-1b is different guitar,,

Here's the spec :

- a dreadnought body

- laminated spruce top

- laminated mahogany back and sides

- black/white/black rosette

- scalloped x-bracing

- solid rosewood bridge

- position dot fingerboard inlays

- polished transparent gloss body and top

- chrome enclosed tuning machines with chrome buttons

- black bridge pin

- black pickguard

As I copy from www.sigmaguitars.com/dm1.html

And one more question, which one is better, nylon string or bronze string?

MG are a bit pricey, be better if they could consider all pockets as they seem quite a big retailer.

Bit confused about the specs, the spec I got was for the new Sigmas they're using Sitka Spruce for the 1 series, the specs you have from the link you gave are for the ones made by the old Sigma, it's a bit puzzling:)

In regard to the nylon string, steel string question, it really depends on what you want to play, having a nylon and a steel string guitar makes life more interesting as they sound completely different and you can rock it with a steel string, it is a personal choice though depends on the style you like.

Here's the new Sigma site, where did you see the one you were looking to buy Devin?

http://www.sigma-gui...ndex.php?id=221

MG are a bit pricey, be better if they could consider all pockets as they seem quite a big retailer.

Bit confused about the specs, the spec I got was for the new Sigmas they're using Sitka Spruce for the 1 series, the specs you have from the link you gave are for the ones made by the old Sigma, it's a bit puzzling:)

In regard to the nylon string, steel string question, it really depends on what you want to play, having a nylon and a steel string guitar makes life more interesting as they sound completely different and you can rock it with a steel string, it is a personal choice though depends on the style you like.

Here's the new Sigma site, where did you see the one you were looking to buy Devin?

http://www.sigma-gui...ndex.php?id=221

Yes, they are pricey..:(

Because the sigma I want to buy is sigma that made arroun 90s I guess, not from the new sigma..

Have u checked the video I posted?

My first guitar is nylon, and my dad use a bronze string attach to the guitar and makes the neck not straight anymore, I already change it to nylon but still sounds not clear, and maybe I'm goint to repair this guitar,.

I love to use my guitar for playing pop music I guess, so whats that will good for it?

I look online from kaskus.co.id, the seller are in the same city as I am, so if I'm going to buy it, I will meet the seller..

Oh right no worries got my wires crossed there:), that's cool, yeah; putting bronze/steel strings on a nylon strung guitar is deadly as they aren't built for it, good to hear you're able to meet the seller, you can get a play of it and check that it's in good condition, if you have any doubts about it don't buy it, I did watch the youtube link, it's the old concert series, sounded ok to me but more experienced members may think differently, good review and he did say it was a cheap guitar, it is a cheap guitar but not the cheapest on the market it won't sound as good as a Martin but I wouldn't expect it to, I can't recommend you buy that guitar as I haven't seen one close up or played one of them, I don't think any member would the decision's entirely up to you, if you could take someone that's been playing for a few years along with you they could make sure it's ok; that is a wise thing to do if it's possible, if you can get to a store try a few in your price range out before you try the Sigma, it's good to compare, here are a few guidelines on what to look for when you're buying a guitar.Devin, try and get the best price you can if you want to buy it always worth haggling, a steel string's fine for pop music just don't play Gangnam style it drives me nuts :) have you heard that in Indonesia, it's number one here :)

http://www.guitarfor...com/buying.html

Oh right no worries got my wires crossed there:), that's cool, yeah; putting bronze/steel strings on a nylon strung guitar is deadly as they aren't built for it, good to hear you're able to meet the seller, you can get a play of it and check that it's in good condition, if you have any doubts about it don't buy it, I did watch the youtube link, it's the old concert series, sounded ok to me but more experienced members may think differently, good review and he did say it was a cheap guitar, it is a cheap guitar but not the cheapest on the market it won't sound as good as a Martin but I wouldn't expect it to, I can't recommend you buy that guitar as I haven't seen one close up or played one of them, I don't think any member would the decision's entirely up to you, if you could take someone that's been playing for a few years along with you they could make sure it's ok; that is a wise thing to do if it's possible, if you can get to a store try a few in your price range out before you try the Sigma, it's good to compare, here are a few guidelines on what to look for when you're buying a guitar.Devin, try and get the best price you can if you want to buy it always worth haggling, a steel string's fine for pop music just don't play Gangnam style it drives me nuts :) have you heard that in Indonesia, it's number one here :)

http://www.guitarfor...com/buying.html

Yeah..:(

I don't have friends that an expert on guitar..:(

Can u give me an acoustic guitar, brand and type that good but in my price?

I'm still waiting for other picts this sigma guitar before meeting him..

Yeah, gang nam style is popular here too, even its really really booming here, but its good for asian thats the music can be popular too, lol

And is there any way to identify fakes guitar?

Yeah.. :(

I don't have friends that an expert on guitar.. :(

Can u give me an acoustic guitar, brand and type that good but in my price?

I'm still waiting for other picts this sigma guitar before meeting him..

Yeah, gang nam style is popular here too, even its really really booming here, but its good for asian thats the music can be popular too, lol

And is there any way to identify fakes guitar?

They've gone nuts about Gangnam style over here, they do the dance and everything, it is good to see Asian artists breaking through over here, who's big in Indonesia?

Back to the guitar: Guitars seem a bit more expensive in Indonesia compared to here, The Seagull S6 is too expensive for your budget so you could try looking at a Yamaha or a Takamine they both do entry level guitars which should be within your budget, I like Yamaha's as I have one of the FG Series, they're solid well built guitars and affordable. If I was going to buy an entry level Yamaha I'd probably buy this one but it might go over your budget, depends where you buy it.

http://nuansamusik.c...acoustic-guitar

Fake guitars are a big problem over here, most of them come from China, most copy the big brands they don't really copy models at the lower end of the market as far as I know, some guys in Vietnam are selling ornately decorated guitars which disintegrate when you open the parcel but that's another story. here are some tips I got online and some I thought of myself. Price is a good place to start, if it's sold as new and it's a lot cheaper than normal, it's probably fake, online on places like Ebay they offer guitars at a low price with a huge postage charge that's another giveaway, you have to check out pictures if you can't hold the guitar, the main giveaway would be the logo they usually differ slightly from the real thing, hard to spot a fake from pictures alone, the only other thing you can do is ask for a close up of the serial number so you can check it, if you manage to see the guitar in person then it's a question of checking the whole thing over, badly finished frets, dodgy gluing bad paint job etc. can be some signs of a fake but the fakers are by no means all bad craftsmen, checking the weight may also help if they say it's a solid top and it's made of certain woods and you pick it up and it feels like it's made of balsa wood it probably is, so that's worth checking. I think that about covers it Devin, Can't think of anything else. Don't know if I've been much help but I hope I have helped a bit.

They've gone nuts about Gangnam style over here, they do the dance and everything, it is good to see Asian artists breaking through over here, who's big in Indonesia?

Back to the guitar: Guitars seem a bit more expensive in Indonesia compared to here, The Seagull S6 is too expensive for your budget so you could try looking at a Yamaha or a Takamine they both do entry level guitars which should be within your budget, I like Yamaha's as I have one of the FG Series, they're solid well built guitars and affordable. If I was going to buy an entry level Yamaha I'd probably buy this one but it might go over your budget, depends where you buy it.

http://nuansamusik.c...acoustic-guitar

Fake guitars are a big problem over here, most of them come from China, most copy the big brands they don't really copy models at the lower end of the market as far as I know, some guys in Vietnam are selling ornately decorated guitars which disintegrate when you open the parcel but that's another story. here are some tips I got online and some I thought of myself. Price is a good place to start, if it's sold as new and it's a lot cheaper than normal, it's probably fake, online on places like Ebay they offer guitars at a low price with a huge postage charge that's another giveaway, you have to check out pictures if you can't hold the guitar, the main giveaway would be the logo they usually differ slightly from the real thing, hard to spot a fake from pictures alone, the only other thing you can do is ask for a close up of the serial number so you can check it, if you manage to see the guitar in person then it's a question of checking the whole thing over, badly finished frets, dodgy gluing bad paint job etc. can be some signs of a fake but the fakers are by no means all bad craftsmen, checking the weight may also help if they say it's a solid top and it's made of certain woods and you pick it up and it feels like it's made of balsa wood it probably is, so that's worth checking. I think that about covers it Devin, Can't think of anything else. Don't know if I've been much help but I hope I have helped a bit.

Same like in indonesia, gangnam style! Hahahahaha..

Hmm, I'm not really into indonesian music, but nidji I think the best for now, cayse they just make a song anthem for manchester united and make a video with them in england..

I don't like yamaha, and in this forum there's noone who has experience with sigma guitar?

And another good news, the seller will give me back my money if the sigma was fake..:)

U are helping me a lot, and I already save a lot of pictures about dm-1 photos to check with the guitar itself..

Man Utd never cease to amaze me, they're a truly international brand, didn't know they'd hooked up with an Indonesian Crisp company, cool. :yes:

Maybe some other members have come across Sigmas, worth checking if the guitars a fake or copy, Made in China copies are following on where Made in Japan guitars left off, a lot of leading brand guitars are made in China now so some of the copies are quite good, Martin/Sigma have been in dispute with China over copyright/patent infringements, so a guitar maker out there could be doing copies, the original Sigma officially stopped trading in 2007 and the German company who revived the name with permission from Martin didn't start up until 2011 so the one your looking at could well be a Made in China model. I know a bit more about Sigmas than I did this morning, and if I see one in a store or second hand shop I'll pick it up and have a go and maybe buy it if I could get it for a good price, sorry I couldn't be more help to you, been interesting though, hope your search for a guitar goes ok Devin.

Man Utd never cease to amaze me, they're a truly international brand, didn't know they'd hooked up with an Indonesian Crisp company, cool. :yes:

Maybe some other members have come across Sigmas, worth checking if the guitars a fake or copy, Made in China copies are following on where Made in Japan guitars left off, a lot of leading brand guitars are made in China now so some of the copies are quite good, Martin/Sigma have been in dispute with China over copyright/patent infringements, so a guitar maker out there could be doing copies, the original Sigma officially stopped trading in 2007 and the German company who revived the name with permission from Martin didn't start up until 2011 so the one your looking at could well be a Made in China model. I know a bit more about Sigmas than I did this morning, and if I see one in a store or second hand shop I'll pick it up and have a go and maybe buy it if I could get it for a good price, sorry I couldn't be more help to you, been interesting though, hope your search for a guitar goes ok Devin.

I'm not a big fan of manchester too, or even epl, cause I do more like serie a..:)

Hmm, the guitar was made in indonesia, and I do research that and sigma is really produce some guitar in indonesia too..

Cause I search this forum and nothing came up when I search sigma..:(

Is there any sign to figure out how old the guitar?

0.10 , 0.11 and 0.12 is the gauge of the 1st string (high e).Obviously 0.10 is thinner than 0.11 etc.

It is personal choice what gauge strings you use but i think 0.10 is to thin for dreadnought guitars.My friend has just put a set of strings going from 0.10 to 0.46 on his guitar because he is a begginer and feals that thicker strings are to hard to push down.It does sounds very tinny now but he says it is easyer to play.So he has compromised on sound quality to make his playing easyer.

0.10 , 0.11 and 0.12 is the gauge of the 1st string (high e).Obviously 0.10 is thinner than 0.11 etc.

It is personal choice what gauge strings you use but i think 0.10 is to thin for dreadnought guitars.My friend has just put a set of strings going from 0.10 to 0.46 on his guitar because he is a begginer and feals that thicker strings are to hard to push down.It does sounds very tinny now but he says it is easyer to play.So he has compromised on sound quality to make his playing easyer.

Hmm, I know about different of thin, do u have any experience with sigma guitaR?

So what do u suggest? My hands not have a long finger but its kind big, :(

And I do really confused about what to use, when it comes from the factory, they usually use 0.10 or 0.11 or 0.12?

Sorry Devin I havnt had any experience with sigma guitars.

Are there any guitar shops near you?

The best thing to do is actually try out a few guitars in your budget and see what you think.Reviews of guitars on the internet are great but its going to be your guitar so you need to be the one thats happy with it.

As far as the size of your hands and fingers go it is something that most people have a problem with when starting out.In the beggining all guitars feal uncomfortable to play because you are training your hands to do something they havnt done before.There is a guy on youtube that plays guitar, he has short fat fingers but it hasnt stopped him from learning to play.I will find the video and post it.

There's no record of the original Sigmas being made in Indonesia Devin, doesn't mean they weren't though, nothing would surprise me with Sigma, they seem to be one of the great guitar mysteries of our time. The 1970s Sigmas were made in Japan, they then switched production to Korea in the 1980s and switched production again to Taiwan in the 1990s where they were made until 2007, there are "new" Sigmas available produced under the Martin license but they are old stock left over from 2007 and maybe earlier, it's hard to date them after the 1980's, Martin didn't keep any records; it may be worth you asking here about them http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147425 they know a bit about Sigmas and have played them, they may be able to tell you if they were made in Indonesia.

I agree with Stu about strings, it's a personal choice, I use 11's on my dreadnought, I've also used 10's and 12's, didn't like either as much so settled on 11's, it's a question of finding the type you like the sound and play of, I agree with Stu too about lights on a Dreadnought they do sound a bit tinny. The lower end guitars come from the factory with basic strings you can roughly tell by looking at them and playing them what guage they are, ie. light strings will feel and sound different to heavier ones, a lot of people change them when they get them as they don't always like the factory ones, they usually wear out pretty quickly anyway, everyone has their own favourite brand too, I've used Martins, D'Addario, Elixir and several others but now use own brand ones from a music store I like, they just suit me. It is a question of personal preference.

Sorry Devin I havnt had any experience with sigma guitars.

Are there any guitar shops near you?

The best thing to do is actually try out a few guitars in your budget and see what you think.Reviews of guitars on the internet are great but its going to be your guitar so you need to be the one thats happy with it.

As far as the size of your hands and fingers go it is something that most people have a problem with when starting out.In the beggining all guitars feal uncomfortable to play because you are training your hands to do something they havnt done before.There is a guy on youtube that plays guitar, he has short fat fingers but it hasnt stopped him from learning to play.I will find the video and post it.

Yeah, but they don't have sigma too, so I don't think they will help me out..:(

Ok, thank u for sharing the video, :)

But I think i'm goint to try 0.11, because someone told me if it is going to use for solo, 0.11 has more soung than 0.10..

There's no record of the original Sigmas being made in Indonesia Devin, doesn't mean they weren't though, nothing would surprise me with Sigma, they seem to be one of the great guitar mysteries of our time. The 1970s Sigmas were made in Japan, they then switched production to Korea in the 1980s and switched production again to Taiwan in the 1990s where they were made until 2007, there are "new" Sigmas available produced under the Martin license but they are old stock left over from 2007 and maybe earlier, it's hard to date them after the 1980's, Martin didn't keep any records; it may be worth you asking here about them http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147425 they know a bit about Sigmas and have played them, they may be able to tell you if they were made in Indonesia.

I agree with Stu about strings, it's a personal choice, I use 11's on my dreadnought, I've also used 10's and 12's, didn't like either as much so settled on 11's, it's a question of finding the type you like the sound and play of, I agree with Stu too about lights on a Dreadnought they do sound a bit tinny. The lower end guitars come from the factory with basic strings you can roughly tell by looking at them and playing them what guage they are, ie. light strings will feel and sound different to heavier ones, a lot of people change them when they get them as they don't always like the factory ones, they usually wear out pretty quickly anyway, everyone has their own favourite brand too, I've used Martins, D'Addario, Elixir and several others but now use own brand ones from a music store I like, they just suit me. It is a question of personal preference.

Yeah, but its on the internet when I search do sigma made in indonesia..

Thank u, I will posted a pictures of the guitar there to see what their opinion..

My hand sweat easily, but I'm going to try galli first, to see if its fits me..

Yeah, but its on the internet when I search do sigma made in indonesia..

Thank u, I will posted a pictures of the guitar there to see what their opinion..

Fair point :yes: , Yeah it appears they manufactured some in the mid 1990s in Indonesia, found these reviews of some but not your model.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/products/112626