streak

entry level electric gear recommendations

New to forum, been learning the basics on a Yamaha FG700S acoustic, thinking about getting an electric setup, just for home use as a hobby, seems like a budget of $300 to $400 US should be able to get a decent sounding and playing starter set ... ? Currently looking at a Yamaha Pacifica 112J or a Sterling by Musicman Sub Silo 3, Fender Mustang 1 amp, not sure about what cable to get. Any comments on these or similar products I should consider is appreciated.

Welcome to the site streak

I am not as experienced as a lot of the other members on here but i can try and help by giving you my opinion on the equipment i have used so far.

I actually bought a 2nd hand pacifica 112 about 3 months ago for very cheap price.The sound it produces is far superior to my old behringer strat that i started out with.I can definately recomend a pacifica as a very good entry level guitar.It will be a long time before my playing improves enough for me to feel the need to look at upgrading it.

The amp i use is just a little roland micro cube which i find is easily loud enough for practicing in the house.Again this much better than the crappy practice amps that i started out with.The micro cube has lots of settings and effects which i wont go into now unless you want me to.I definately recomend checking one of these out as well as the fender mustang.The fender mustang amps are highly rated but i cant comment because i havnt tried one yet.

As for cables as long as you get a decent one you cant really go wrong,

This is one of the cables i use -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Performance-Series-Guitar-Cable-Black-10-Ft-/370657778031?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item564cecd96f

I actually bought a 2nd hand pacifica 112 about 3 months ago for very cheap price.The sound it produces is far superior to my old behringer strat that i started out with.I can definately recomend a pacifica as a very good entry level guitar.It will be a long time before my playing improves enough for me to feel the need to look at upgrading it.

As for cables as long as you get a decent one you cant really go wrong,

This is one of the cables i use -

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item564cecd96f

How is the action on the Pacifica? I've only read about them on the Internet, one of my main concerns is that I get a guitar that has a reasonably low and fairly consistent action over the entire fretboard. And how well does it stay in tune?

That cable is one I've considered as a basic requirement, I don't know what more I'd need. Thanks for the comments.

My Pacifica was bought new by the previous owner about 4 years ago.He said he has never had a set up since he bought it and as far as he knows the shop didnt set it up for him that was just how it came new.The action on it is brilliant for me.The strings are pretty close to the frets but not to close.The 1st thing i did was change the rusty 4 year old strings and give it a good test.The strings soon settled in and now i very rarely need to retune iit.

Always try a guitar out though before you

buy.Know 2 guitars are exactly the same even the same models.

Guitar,amp and cable is all you need to start out.The only other thing for

me that is a necessity is a decent tuner that you can plug your guitar into.I

still cant tune a guitar without one.

Good luck