carmendy

broken truss rod

carmendy    0

Hello,

I'm taking guitar lessons and the action needed lowering on my 4 year old guitar. When the tech was loosening the truss rod, it broke. I don't know yet what they will do. Is it worth it to get it fixed ($500 guitar) or should I get a new one?

Stu74    35

Do you mean the truss rod actualy broke?I didnt know a truss rod could brake that easy.

That is frightening especially if it was broke by a guy who knows what he is doing.

• Like 1

carol m    64

Bad luck carmendy. I would be checking if I had any warranty since the guy says it had a defect. Also, did you buy the guitar from the store where they broke the truss rod? If that is so they should either replace the rod or replace the guitar for no cost.

Another question is: do you believe this guy? And do you trust him? I've never heard of a truss rod breaking either - is it possible he wants to get you to replace your guitar by buying a new one, from him? Or is it possible he wants to keep your guitar for himself when/if you decide to get another one?

I would be suggesting to him that he was the one who broke it, and he must share some responsibility - or even all responsibility.

I think that in this situation, these are legit questions you should ask yourself. It's not a matter of 'not trusting people' - these are questions anyone should ask when an 'accident' or a 'defect' is the stated reason for someone else stuffing up and it's going to cost you a bundle to fix. :)

• Like 1

carmendy    0

Unfortunately, that isn't the place that I bought it. I was going to take it to the music store where I bought it but the guy there said that the instruments to be worked on are picked up on Friday and are returned the next Friday. I took it to the place where I take lessons. The tech said that he would do it then since they were not busy. I can be so gullible, I never thought of what you asked. I don't really know him. I wish now that I had taken it to the place where I bought it because they would have to bear the responsibility and I wouldn't feel bad about it. I feel bad for this guy really. He said that they had to make it right with me.

Thanks Carol and Stu!

mset3    158

Carmendy,

I've never heard of a truss rod breaking. I guess it could be possible to twist it off. The good news is they are going to make it right for you.

Mike

• Like 1

Andy S    9

What kind of guitar. I didn't see that. Acoustic or electric? Yeh, they can break, if they are already set up incorrectly (too tight) or stuck. I've never heard of one breaking from a defect, however. That doesn't mean that wasn't the reason.

But it's good they said they would make it good. If he broke it, that usually means he was not being cautious enough if it was stiff or resistant to any adjustments. I've read a lot ever since I had to get one of my guitars repaired a long time ago. Then I ventured forward and bought an inexpensive guitar to experiment on. That is, to do my own adjustments and repairs. There are some things I will try and some things I won't ; refrets, painting or refinishing (only since I don't have the tools for refretting and no place to spray or the correct spray equipment) but it's a learning thing.

i would recommend to anyone that is serious about guitar (ok, put it this way, you've invested your hard earned money and time to learn) to go buy a book or two on repairs and adjustments. Learn do do your own intonation (on electrics) and minor repairs on anything. But at least on the more complex repairs, you'll have an idea of what is possible and some idea on how it can be done. That way, not many peple will be able to take advantage of you.

Just my two cents.......add another 96 cents and you can get a coffee at McDonalds.

• Like 1

karcey    42

Truss rods are one of the least thought-about parts of a guitar. We only look to them every so often. We can't maintain them so they deteriorate. If the threads are rusty the nuts won't turn. Something has to give. The rod breaks.

I don't buy the "defective" claim. Rusty ... yes, weak ... yes, defective ... no.

I seem to recall in earlier times, every lesson about truss rod adjustment included a warning about being too heavy handed and breaking the rod.

If you love the guitar you could get a quote for rebuilding the neck with a new truss rod.

If your repairer can help you through this situation, well that's between you and him and it's outside the scope of this forum anyway.

If you believe in signs from the powers, then this could be your signal to upgrade to something better.

In any case I'm sorry to hear you've lost your guitar, and I wish you a speedy recovery from this awful situation.

• Like 1

carmendy    0

Thanks everyone for the advice. I don't know what part of it broke. It's an acoustic/electric guitar. Thanks Karcey for wishing me a speedy recovery, I hope it passes soon, because I also have terrible soreness in my elbow, I guess from practicing. I'll know more about the guitar Wednesday, October 3.

carmendy    0

Well, the guitar store sent the guitar back to the company and they honored the warranty even though it was 4 or 5 years old. I got a beautiful new guitar from the company. Talking about a company who makes beautiful guitars that stand by their products. Also, the best equipped and staffed music store, (where the guitar was broken) in my opinion, I've ever dealt with. Good ending, good people.

carol m    64

Great news, Carmendy. It looks like you did ok in the end. Hopefully, a new guitar will make up for the loss, and feelings of loss, you had for a few weeks.

What brand and model is the guitar? And who are these good guys who replaced a 5 year old guitar with a new one?

carmendy    0

I had an EG series ac/elec Takamine and the Takamine co. (not sure where this certain branch is located but it's in the US) gave me a choice of 6 to choose from, some more expensive than others. I chose one in the same range as my last one, EG444C-VV or something like that. Anyway, I'm still a beginner and I'm happy with it. They make beautiful ones in my opinion. I would like the antique looking one ($999) that is made in Japan. Can't think of the model no. right now. That wasn't one of the choices but I hope to get in someday.