- - - - -

May take a break

16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

I'm thinking about taking a months beak on my lessons. I'm finding it hard to get up and practice, not sure why? I guess I'm finding out the guitar is harder than I thought it would be at 52, now if I were 20 I know it would be different and also if I had someone to practice with I would have no problem practicing. My memorization is not good on the frets and I taking one string at a time. Another thing I find which may be common for beginners is that when I'm playing a chord and have to slide down let's say a whole step or step and a 1/2 I find my strumming hand accidentally hitting a string higher when it's supposed to be the same strings. So anyway, thinking about taking August off from going to lessons and continuing in Sept. I hope that I won't regret it.

#2 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,028 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

Bunny,

Maybe take a break from lessons but lessons dont mean much if you cant play a song. Find a simple tune to work on be it from TABS or Chords. No fun if you cant play a tune.
Try, Amazing grace.
eddie
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#3 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,028 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

Here is an example by Kirk,

http://www.guitarfor...Grace_in_D.html

Here is an example with chords and lyrics
http://tabs.ultimate...g_grace_crd.htm
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#4 ONLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

Here's an easy one: http://www.guitarfor...ing_Lesson.html - and who doesn't like "Knocking on Heavens Door"?

Good luck and stick with it.

Clancy
I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ~ Dr. Seuss

#5 OFFLINE   RolandC

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • Joined 04-November 11

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

View PostWaterbunny, on 31 July 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

I'm finding it hard to get up and practice, not sure why?

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the reason you find it hard to practice is because you don't enjoy it.

I have found that there is an assumption out there that because one enjoys listening to guitar it must necessarily follow that one will enjoy playing the guitar, and that just ain't so, IMHO.

FWIW, I think that those people who are successful at learning guitar are the ones who enjoy the entire process, albeit with bouts of frustration along the way.

If the effort you are putting in is not worth the payoff to you, then maybe it's not for you. It's supposed to be fun--not a second job--right?

The one thing you might want to reassess, though, is the curriculum your teacher is following. I also started in middle-age, and my first guitar teacher immediately had me working on songs. My second week we started on Knockin' on Heaven's Door (G, D, Am7, G,D,C) and then Cinnamon Girl (D, Am, C, G). That got me hooked, so when it came time to learn barre chords and scales, etc. I was eager to learn. On the other hand, if I had started with one of those first grade books learning how to play Mary Had A Little Lamb on one string I don't know that I would have kept at it.

Whatever your choice, don't beat yourself up over it. If you have a strong desire to make music and decide that guitar is not your thing, there are still plenty of other instruments out there--maybe one of them would be more to your liking.

Good luck!
With apologies to the Bard:

"The fault lies not in our [guitars] Horatio, but in ourselves."

#6 OFFLINE   Chelle E.

• Active Members

• 302 posts
  • Joined 14-September 08

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

Waterbunny,
Clancy pointed to a great song to learn, it's an easy chord progression, easy strumming and you can slow it down if you like.

Before you break, I'd advise to learn at least one easy song that you really like to sing or hum to, and then decide how you feel about guitar.

when I started out, I learned by playing real slow, what I call "dead slow" and locked in the chord progression. Then brought the tempo up very slowly until I could change chords in tempo and smoothly.

I wouldn't rush anything new, and I'd hope you consider learning just one song before you decide to take a break, (from which it might be hard to return). Hang it there.

#7 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

Well I did learn to play A Horse with No Name though I have to break at times. I guess I'd better make sure I keep practicing that because I do quite enjoy it. Now I'm on another song, a new one, I'll see how it goes. I've decided not to break, and I'm not going to worry about making sure I learn every note on the frets, thanks everyone.

#8 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

Waterbunny,

I agree with working on songs. It shows good progress when you learn one all the way through. Learn the notes can be very tedious. You don't have to spend hours on this task. Spend just five minutes a day and before you know it you will have mastered all the notes. Do the same with your strumming technique and it will all come together.

Glad to hear you haven't given up.

Mike

#9 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

Waterbunny just enjoy yourself and dont put pressure on yourself to learn things fast.I dont think instantly knowing where all the notes are on the guitar is something you need to be able to do when you have only been playing for such a short period of time.As long as you know how to work out where the notes are you are off to a good start.So what if it takes a little while to work it out.Over time as you learn scales and songs you will gradualy get quicker at finding your way around the guitar neck.Its all a long process.

#10 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

Thanks guys, I needed that. I will just take minutes to go over the notes so it won't become work. It does make sense that it will work itself out. I got some good tips from my teacher when I told him about taking a month off, so now I'm not going to do it. One problem I've had all of my life is I over think things, that'll never change, I'll just try to change it slowly.

#11 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:53 AM

G'day Waterbunny,

Normally I wouldn't add a post, because there's been so much supportive advice already. But I can't help myself!
I can relate to your plight, and you're right, it does have to do with older fingers and more things for the brain to think about. The kids have it so easy with a lot less responsibility and so much free time on their dextrous hands.
Your hand will come good, but educating them may take a little longer than if you were eighteen. And please, always remember that you're teaching your hands, not forcing them. I can vouch that my hands at sixty four aren't as good as they were at twenty, but they're good enough to play guitar. I just have to be a bit more patient.
And the motivation? Well it takes a bit of a hit when you think you should be able to play like a professional but you're still struggling with the simple stuff. It's my opinion that the majority of beginners give up, and the reason they give up is because they don't feel any success, no matter how hard they try. They spend hours each day learning chords and practicing scales, and then when they consider their progress they can still only play chords and scales. Hardly music is it?
I was lucky, because with grand kids I had an interest in simple stuff like nursery songs. Not what you'd play on stage, but every song an achievement, and that achievement is all the motivation I needed to continue. Of course it'll probably take me another ten years before I can play any real music, but it's an enjoyable hobby. (I also grow bonsai ... that's pretty slow too, but enjoyable.)
I'd like to see you relax a bit more about your progress, Set small goals and make easy time frames. It's not a race. Try some really simple stuff like the others have suggested, and I promise you'll never be criticized for whatever little achievement you make. Look back from time to time and revel in the fact that you are better than you were when you started.
Above all, continue to share your experiences with the members of the forum and don't be too tough on yourself.

Keep in touch.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#12 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

Karcey, you are do right. The kiddies have it easy without the responsibility of life and it does make a difference. Also training my fingers to do something totally out of range after 50 yrs. would make sense that it would not be easy. At least I do have one song under my belt, not that good at it, but can play it enough to enjoy it so I will keep playing it! I also kind of figured many folks who pick up an instrument when middle age do give up in a short time and I really don't want to fall into that statistic. So I'm gonna just have fun with it. My teacher is great also. So every time I go to my guitar I'm going to act like a child who's going into their toy box! Great support here. Glad I found it.

#13 OFFLINE   dutchman063

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 09-February 07

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

Kid, adult, teen...it doesnt matter what age you are..if you love playin you will keep playin...if you dont love playin, it comes and goes.... i hung around for a year before i threw in the towel, but deep down i knew way before that that i was a pretender.. i still pick it up now and then but i dont force the issue... its sort of like going to the gym, ive been religiously working out since i was 16, am 49 now..but i still love it as much as i did back then...and every new years day i see alot of determined people who want to workout but their heart and mind just arnt that into it and 3 to 6 months later, they are gone

#14 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

dutchman, you hit the nail on the head. We think we may want something and then when trying it find out it's just not for us. Not a bad thing, just a learning thing. Well I've decided to take a couple months off anyway but this time it's not due to not being interested enough, it's because of financial reasons.

#15 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

View PostWaterbunny, on 30 August 2012 - 04:32 PM, said:

dutchman, you hit the nail on the head. We think we may want something and then when trying it find out it's just not for us. Not a bad thing, just a learning thing. Well I've decided to take a couple months off anyway but this time it's not due to not being interested enough, it's because of financial reasons.
I wish you well and trust you'll be back to share with us soon.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#16 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

Waterbunny,

I hope everything works out for and you will be back soon.

Mike

#17 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,028 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

Bunny,

Unfortunate, but like the others, hope things work out for the best.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users