JosieNurse

Martin Guitar for "relearning" how to play again !

JosieNurse    0

Back in the 60's and 70's I was one heck of a good guitar player - folk singer. But as so often happens, I got busy with life, several children and following my Marine officer husband around the world. I've just retired and am having a "late, mid-life crisis" and want to start playing again.

"Back in the day", I played a Goya Classical and a Vox, Folk-12, twelve string guitar. - Mostly finger-picking style.

I have always wanted a steel string, Martin. I'm currently investigatin the possibility of such an inspirational purchase now but there are soooo many models of Martin and it is very confusing. Seems like I like the OMJM John Mayer and the 0028 Eric Clapton. They seem smaller and easier to handle - especially for somebody who is gonna have to work hard to get my past skills back. Anybody have any opinions on other Martin models I might consider --- or opinions on these two guitars?

Thanks for your help

JosieNurse

mattz196    15

Hi Josie

Welcome to the forum , I have been on similar Martin quest to yourself very recently .Both those Martins you mention are highly regarded , though it's appears in what I have read especially in regard to the Ec there are mixed opinions on the tone of the EC and playability of the modified V neck.

I haven't played the Mayer but have played the EC and it wasn't for me , could only find one where I live to try out and I didn't like it . You really need to play these models as what one person doesn't like you may love.

At lot of the om and 000 Martins have that modified V neck , make sure you really like it before laying down your cash.

I have not mentioned it here on the forum as yet but I am now the very proud and happy owner of a second hand but near mint Martin OM 21 Special which is everything and more I could want for, stunning guitar , not made by Martin any more . I have read some good things about it's replacement the 2012 OM 21 but have not seen nor played one

Good luck with your search .

Matt

karcey    42

G'day Josie, Welcome.

I believe Martins are nice guitars. Last week I stood in a room that was wall to wall Martins. The whole room is this shop was dedicated to Martins. Didn't do anything for me because there was nothing there I wanted.

I like the advice Matt gave you, because if you were standing in the same room that I was in, you might find most of them weren't what you really needed. They might be too heavy, or too big (or small), or the neck may not suit your hand, or whatever. On the other hand you might love all of them.

Like Matt I wish you well on what might be a very challenging search, and I hope one day you'll be posting here saying how your new Martin is helping you get your playing skills back.

Keep in touch.

JosieNurse    0

Het thank you both for replying. I agree about the Eric Clapton. I don't like that nect. The OMJM on the other hand felt pretty darn good. I just gotta wait a while until I can get my basic picking skills back where I can better play and evaluate Martins better. On that note, I just delivered both my guitars to a widely known expert to be "refurbished.". This guy builds custom guitars and is a major repairr/service guy for Martin. He told me he could even build me a custom guitar exactly like I need --- once I know what that us!!!

JosieNurse    0

The luthier I took my guitars to is Wonderful. His name is Johnnie Rushing. He lives out in the country near Pigeon Forge/Sevierville TN. He did a fantastic job fixing up my guitars and someday I may well have him make one for me. Plus he is the nicest guy in the world. Are you gonna have him do something for you?