how do i jam with a keyboard player

9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 645 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

hi folks im going to my new neighbours house tomorrow night to have a jam for the first time with him but i have no idea how to play with a keyboard player.He playes in the choir in our local Chapel i know he likes the blues but thats all i know i figure since he already plays in public he has to be really good and have a good understanding of music only i really dont know much about music i can play some songs with the record and i can jam along with a backing track with the minor and major scale but my timing is terrible and i don't have a big library of lics built up either i used to have a guitar jam with our old neighbours and i managed ok.
Any reccomendations on what i could practice would be great.

cheers micky.
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. B.B. King

#2 OFFLINE   dutchman063

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 64 posts
  • Joined 09-February 07

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:07 PM

try talking to the guy before you play

hth

#3 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:09 AM

If you can find a common ground then go with that. Blues is a good place to start as it can be as simple or as complex as you like. If he can provide a solid foundation for you then let him do that and you just play off him. You don't need to play a lot of licks or notes to make it work musically. And the more you do it the better you'll get.
A really good thing to do is practice with a metronome by yourself and help develop a consistent sense of time.
Most of all, have fun!

#4 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,234 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

Micky,

I agree with Scotty, have fun with it. Playing with other people is a great way to expand your playing knowledge especially, if they are better than you. Let us know how it works out.

Mike

#5 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 645 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

thanks lads turned out great we played for a couple of hours took turns playing blues rythm and lead turns out he's a great clasical player been playing for 20 years.Had another jam today he's trying to learn bass guitar so it will suit both of us.I think i'll have to really work on my timing more now i have someone to play with.
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. B.B. King

#6 OFFLINE   paulg1630

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Joined 17-November 11

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

cool its good to have a more experienced musician to help you along.Im sure you will develop more and want to play more through doing this.get yourself a drummer and singer and youve got a band.

#7 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

Well done Micky you must have been a little bit nervous i know i would have been.You two guys will be forming a band next.
You are lucky to have someone living near you that plays an instrument.I am always on the lookout around where i live for someone to play along with but so far no joy.

#8 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 645 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

paul i think im a hell of a long way of starting a band :yes: that said i does'nt stop me dreaming of it.I think your right about development my fingers are sore now from playing the same lics all day trying to memorise them. Aye stu i was nervous but it passed after 5 minutes thank god. i know it is hard to find someone to play with hopefull yoll will find someone soon if not you'll have to jump on the ferry and ill show you how not to play lol.

#9 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

One day when i can play a lot better i will take you up on the offer.

#10 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 645 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

no bother stu anytime.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users