HIppieDave

New computer for recording?

HIppieDave    0

Hello all...I've been away for a bit. Playing a lot of music as it turns out. I formed a new group, me on guitar and vocals, two beautiful ladies doing mostly harmony, and a young genius on mandolin and, occasionally, another guitar. But we all swap around lead vocals as well. However, along with a beautiful new guitar, I also just picked up an Allen & Heath Zed14 mixer for use in performances as well as recording. It looks like my old PC may also be dying, so now the big Q is: what new PC/chip/soundcards are ideal for home studio recording.

I've been using the Audiophile 2486 soundcard, and I've generally been happy with it. But the Zed 14 also has a usb out, so I'm wondering whether I should be looking at modernizing that end as well. (I mostly use a Studio Projects condenser mic for the input end.)

Any thoughts and advice are welcome.

HIppieDave    0

Thanks...they do have quality equipment. The Allen and Heath Zed 14 is all the interface I need. They are known for the quality of their preamp circuits. What I don't know is ho files are handled in the PC, and whether particular PC boards or sound cards are better for recording than other.s

karcey    42

G'day Dave,

You won't be making many mistakes whatever PC you buy. The best processor you can find today is history by tomorrow. My newest is an Intel i5 and it's great ... old but great! I also have a couple of Core 2 Quads and I can't complain about them either. Most new devices these days are capable of playing online games, and that's a far greater task than processing music. If you're going to be concerned about power, go for a gaming machine. It'll be more expensive though, and probably more than you need.

Soundcards vary, the vendors mostly talk about the playback ability rather than recording. I don't have one I could recommend, but I'd be pretty sure that a new computer will handle all of the soundcards out there.

waveheavy    3

If you've been playing music for a while, I'd recommend RME for the soundcard option. It's a little expensive, but one of the most stable cards and software on the market. And it's the start point of high end production. M-Audio has great cards, and a great history. I've used their Delta series for years.