fly135

Amps, What are they good for? Absolutely nothing.

LOL, ok maybe not. But I've sold several of my tube amps and the rest are just sitting mostly idle. I recently got back into listening to records and set up nice stereos in several rooms of my house, taking advantage of the killer prices of people dumping old school stereos on Craigslist. Anyway, on to the point....

Since I'm a big fan of multifx, which have amp and cabinet simulations I started using my stereo for playing my guitar. In my entertainment room I have a set of Bose 901 speakers. Since I have a computer integrated into the stereo and TV, I put a Mackie firewire mixer in the stereo's tape monitor. I can plug in my multifx (an RP500 right now) and mic, even a second multifx for jamming with a friend.

I can play backing tracks on the computer and record my guitar along with it. I find it great for learning by playing along with music. A guitar amp never feels right with playing a track on the stereo. The amp has a lot of dynamics and is too punchy compared to the music. Plus if you mic it, it never sounds exactly the same recorded. But with the stereo I can tweak my FX and the recorded tone comes out like it sounds.

Anyway, I think most people are appalled at the idea of playing a guitar into a stereo. But if you do it right I think it works great. And it's much easier to play quieter than with an amp.

Fly,

I kind of agree with you. Unless your doing a live entertainment session, there is little use for the amp. Of course you do need something to hook up your electric guitars to. Lots of great technology out there.

Hey Fly! You dark horse - that was fantastic! Where do you get your backing tracks? I love that there are no drums - but wait! I just listened more carefully - maybe there is no backing track at all, and it's all you plus multifx?

Carol, thank you. You are right there is no backing track. I put about 5 sec of plucking harmonics into the HD500's looper. Then I played over that with one single melody line.

EddieZ, yeah that's why I said "ok maybe not".:)

Thank, Mike.

very nice fly i thought at the start it was a satch song :clap: :clap: . I've played through my pc speakers a few times but i remember watching a video interview of mark knophner and he said he blew the speakers of his first sterio playing guitar so i've been afraid to use them ever since.

he blew the speakers of his first sterio playing guitar so i've been afraid to use them ever since.

The range of quality in speakers varies greatly... but musical instrument speakers are supposed to be held to a higher standard, thus it's easier to find a set of music reproduction speakers that will not handle the dynamic range of live instruments.

When playing through digital gear or using a compressor you can get away with it more... also high end speakers are less prone to overheating the voice coils or "overthrusting" the paper cone past its contacts with the frame.

I've done both... :whistling

As for WHY tube amps are still popular... hmmm

I do not think words can convey the experience of holding The Beast while it sings. :whip:

"The Beast" being the guitar-effects chain-tube amp at that perfect volume where the guitar resonates with the note, the amp fills the room with that resonance, and the "rig" "sings". There is a sympathetic "re-resonating" or something... it increases sustain, inspires confidence, cures the common guitarist generally, and leaves your breath minty fresh. :yes:

It's... hard to explain, you have to feel it, and entire fortunes are spent chasing the "Beast", when all you really need is Mahogany and Tubes. Everything else is just "playing the guitar". :yinyang:

I like my amp. It's a very nice amp. Kind of green and brown.

It's an acoustic amp. It hasn't made a sound in at least 2 years. Hmmmm.

My computer is looking a bit guilty at the moment.

Fly...........that is a nice piece. I like it............ :claping:

Thanks Gasbag.

I'm still playing through the stereo. This dispite having a Tweaker 15 with 2x12 cab and picking up a Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12 recently for $100. It didn't work in the pawn shop so I offered $100 out the door. It had a blown HT fuse. And last week I picked up a Hot Rod Deluxe for $120 that has a loud squeal after playing for a couple minutes. Haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

And if you like that sustain from feedback you kind of need the amp. And good enough skills not to annoy everyone around you. Something I'm still working on.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm out of my league here but I just picked up a Yamaha THR10 and while it's only about the size of a shoe box, it is an amp (that might be a little loose with the language) that does everything I'm seeing talked about in here. I've had big amps and small amps and I've played through the stereo but nothing I've ever come accross can do it all like this little guy can. On top of that it has a really cool computer relay that, my being somewhat tech illiterate, I havn't figured out how to use yet, but the guy who recommended it to me says he uses it to lay down all sorts of backing tracks not to mention adding other insturments including a symphony.

I suppose I could have put this in the 'gear' forum but I saw an oppurtunity in here to mention this bad ass little problem solver.

And no...I don't work for Yamaha! :D

I guess it is a feedback loop of some lower category, not the squealing stuff that I generally associate with PA's and cheap guitars.

I guess it is a feedback loop of some lower category, not the squealing stuff that I generally associate with PA's and cheap guitars.

Feedback like Santana uses to get his awesome sustain.

tinyE, my buddy has the THR5 and used it as a practice amp when he had a 6 month gig on a cruise ship. Very easy to keep the volume low and get great tone. IIRC good for recording also with it's USB interface.

Feedback like Santana uses to get his awesome sustain.

tinyE, my buddy has the THR5 and used it as a practice amp when he had a 6 month gig on a cruise ship. Very easy to keep the volume low and get great tone. IIRC good for recording also with it's USB interface.

I own and operate and live in a B&B. The volume thing is the best part for me.

• Like 1

I've played thru both. Recorded thru both. My OPINION. Is as a true audiophile there is nothing that sounds better than an old tube amp, maybe a TS 808. And a nice tele or les Paul... My feeling is once you break it into 1s and 0s you just lose the SOUL of the music. ANALOG BABY. :).

And that's my diatribe. ;) but fact of the matter is at some point your going to have to take the hit and make it digital so everyone can hear it. Don't get me wrong I love technology. I have a line 6 spider jam with a lexicon interface and Pro tools. And I love the wizardry of digital. :). But There is no substitute for my blues deluxe and my 808 on my tele.

• Like 1

I like ones and zeros, and I like tubes and pedals. I've also really liked my roland micro-cube but I came across a Yammy THR10 and maybe it's time the roland got upgraded.

Hey tinyE, I see you've got some time with the THR, would you recommend it? Thanks in advance, :beer: . PH

it's a good topic for debate/discussion/consideration :)

i love the older style valve amps, and i like the idea of anologue - but if i'm recording, then it's going digital anyway - if i was playing a live gig, i'd want a valve amp and a couple of anologue pedals, but even then, chances are the sound engineer will put some digital reverb/delay or compression etc..(if you are mic'd up)

i had to sell my Laney valve amp recently (unemployment has its drawbacks...lol) so i only have the sounds available in my Boss 8-track to use...

i'd say if anyone was to hear mic'd up v's direct recording back to back, they'd struggle to tell the difference - for a simple amp tone at least

my set-up is - Guitar into 8-track into hi-fi through some RCF speakers :) even when i had my amp, i'd still use this set-up at times

i've seen the THR-10 and it seems to be a great amp for home use (i posted a thread on it before) unlike other amp sims, it doesn't simulate the sound of particular amps, but simulates the circuit or signal chain...

that said, i still believe there are certain unique harmonic overtones to be had from a valve amp, that can't be recreated, especially when valves get hot

Paul..............

• Like 1

it's a good topic for debate/discussion/consideration :)

Indeed!

i love the older style valve amps, and i like the idea of anologue - but if i'm recording, then it's going digital anyway - if i was playing a live gig, i'd want a valve amp and a couple of anologue pedals, but even then, chances are the sound engineer will put some digital reverb/delay or compression etc..(if you are mic'd up)

I always mic when I'm recording. I also don't particularly care for recording dry and adding effects later. I want to hear the sound out of the amp that I want recorded. I can understand adding a little compression later, but I like my effects chain in front of the amp.

i had to sell my Laney valve amp recently (unemployment has its drawbacks...lol) so i only have the sounds available in my Boss 8-track to use...

Sorry you had to sell your amp. :( Here's hoping you can replace it with something you like even better sometime soon. I had a Laney valve amp once. Darned thing had one volume: arena.

i'd say if anyone was to hear mic'd up v's direct recording back to back, they'd struggle to tell the difference - for a simple amp tone at least

Honestly, the tone I get from mic'ing my stuff always seems so much richer than anything I've recorded direct.

my set-up is - Guitar into 8-track into hi-fi through some RCF speakers :) even when i had my amp, i'd still use this set-up at times

i've seen the THR-10 and it seems to be a great amp for home use (i posted a thread on it before) unlike other amp sims, it doesn't simulate the sound of particular amps, but simulates the circuit or signal chain...

that said, i still believe there are certain unique harmonic overtones to be had from a valve amp, that can't be recreated, especially when valves get hot

Definitely agree. I wouldn't trade the clean channel on my Marshall JCM for anything. The crunch channels are blown out (I don't use them anyway), but I won't have the amp repaired because I'm terrified that something might affect the clean tone! Plus, I'm right in the middle of recording something, and I won't so much as move a mic stand until it's finished.