- - - - -

Easiest way to learn notes?

20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

I'd like for you guitarists, (for the ones who can remember) the ways you learned each fret note on the neck? What I'm doing is putting a removable tiny sticky on each fret. I'm starting with the low E and going down about 7 frets. I normally learn things like this by looking at it and saying it over and over in my mind where I can't forget, I also have sort of a photographic memory, so I think it may help. Thanks in advance.

#2 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,382 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

Waterbunny,

Here is one of Kirk's lessons for mapping out the fretboard. It should help you out.

http://www.guitarfor...tboard_map.html

Mike

#3 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

Thanks, I think this may be easier than learning my way, it seems a bit easier. I put it on my faves.

#4 OFFLINE   pHGTRSpider

• Active Members
  • 333 posts
  • Joined 08-October 08

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

A few years ago there was a post about Fretboard Warrior, a free download computer "game" for learning the fretboard. Friends & I had fun challenging each other. It's quite good.

http://www.francoisb...ardwarrior.html

I don't know about using stickies on the guitar and it could help. Have fun !
Don't dream it, be it.
from the Rocky Horror Picture Show

#5 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:51 AM

Thanks Spider, I'll check it out, I love games anyway.

#6 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

good game Spider great little exercise to get the brain thinking fast.
Ive just had a couple of goes of it my best was 23 wright 1 wrong in 2 minutes.
Waterbunny a tip you might already know. All the notes start over again from the beggining on 12th fret.

#7 OFFLINE   gasbag

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 437 posts
  • Joined 31-January 08

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

Hi Waterbunny,

This is going to be the dumbest suggestion you get, but it's mine and I have an uncontrollable desire to pass it on.
If you can, do not buy music with tabs attached. At the very least, do not use tabs. I will tell you why.
First, nothing can give you more info than notation, it has everything you need.
Second, you will never need anything else.
Third, mostly to display my stupidity, I have been in to music for 60 years. I was 1st chair trumpet in the Spokane Youth Symphony
and performed a lot. I know music. Forgot a lot but being old is mostly to blame there.
However, being an idiot, when i took up guitar a few years ago I saw tabs for the first time. I said "Wow, that looks easy." And it was.
So I used tabs and off I went learning to play songs and learning nothing about the relationships between the fretboard and notes on the staff.
So here I am more or less starting all over and learning it the right way. I wasted a lot of time and created my own little problem.
It is somewhat frustrating and I am a bit upset with myself. I should have done it right the first time.

The above is just my opinion of course. I don't get them often but when I do I just have to tell someone. :yes:
2 + 2 = 5 for very large amounts of 2

#8 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

View PostpHGTRSpider, on 03 July 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

A few years ago there was a post about Fretboard Warrior, a free download computer "game" for learning the fretboard. Friends & I had fun challenging each other. It's quite good.

http://www.francoisb...ardwarrior.html

I don't know about using stickies on the guitar and it could help. Have fun !

The publisher can't be verified so I'm a bit skeptical of opening it. Though it will probably be OK and I know it will help me a lot. I'll probably will do it tomorrow. It's not like it's the firs time I've gotten that message and didn't download it. Thanks,

#9 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

Gasbag,

I bet you're giving me good advice being that you've been in music for 60 yrs. but remember, I'm still Guitars for Dummies right now. So when you say don't buy music with tabs attached, I'm not sure what that even looks like. If the tabs aren't there, then how will the music look? :whistling

Stu,

You mentioned the game spider (mom obsessed with spider) but I don't like it. I do play mahjong a bit and I can bet it does the same thing with the brain, or at least I hope. What do you think Stu?

#10 OFFLINE   pHGTRSpider

• Active Members
  • 333 posts
  • Joined 08-October 08

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:55 AM

I just played it again, first time in ages, 2 min, 25 right, 0 wrong. A little slow with the mouse I think. Waterbunny, I downloaded both the windows and mac version over past few years never had any problems.

When you're starting out, tabs and staff notation are both good, as long as you get playing and get those fingers sounding musical. By the way I've been playing over thirty-five years all gtr, no breaks, I only really started using notation since my children started piano. Before then it was all by ear and writing my own tabs. I've read music books as well. You can learn some theory with staff notation and it does make it easier. Then again Kirk's book doesn't use notation. You don't need any theory to start learning songs and singing with your own guitar playing. so go figure. cheers
Don't dream it, be it.
from the Rocky Horror Picture Show

#11 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:11 AM

Waterbunny i installed the game yesterday it took seconds to install and hasnt caused any problems on my laptop.

I am with gasbag on this one.Using music notation instead of tab is a good way to learn the notes on the fretboard.I started with very basic music for playing on the guitar and it helped me learn where the notes were on the guitar as well get me faster at reading music.I use tab mostly now and it has made me a bit lazy about thinking what notes im actually playing.
Jimi Hendrix couldnt read music and a lot of other excellent guitar players cant, but for me i still preffer reading music notation for learning the notes on the fret board.

#12 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

Hey folks, I'm getting some really good info here. Thank yo so much. I will make sure my teacher is training me the correct way. Thanks again. My teacher happened to tell me some things about Hendrix I didn't know like that he played his guitar what we consider upside down, etc. I really appreciate this info.

#13 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

There is a lot to take in when you are starting out.Keep things simple dont try to take to much on board or you will just get confused its a very long learning process.Take things a step at a time.
Jimi Hendrix was left handed and played left handed but played right handed guitars.That is why his guitars were upside down.
Lots of good guitarists are leftys but these days there is a good choice of left handed guitars for them to choose from.
My favourite guitarist Mark Knopfler is left handed but he plays right handed with right handed guitars. :isaynothing: i better shut up now im getting confused.

#14 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

Stu, you are so funny. I think the first person I noticed playing who's a lefty was Paul McCartney and this was the time of Wings. Never paid any attention since then.

#15 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,021 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

If it helps, Take a TAB and write the notes by each number in the TAB. You may learn two things at the same time.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#16 OFFLINE   paulg1630

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Joined 17-November 11

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

I think playing scales can help you learn the notes,i think its a gradual process.Just try remember the notes like letters of the alphabet then try playing them at random it will all come together eventually.

#17 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

Hi guys, yeah, what I've been doing is taking one string at a time, master it and go to the next. At least down to the 7th fret anyway. So of course I have both E's down and now I'm at string A. Saying it while playing and looking at it until it's memorized. Then I know I need to jump around to see how memorized it is. Right now I'm taking a small break from one of my favorite rock song because it's too hard for me, but it's good that I'm learning the chords for it since they are the power and triad one I think. So I told my teacher I want to learn A Horse with No Name because it's supposed to be an easy one for beginners and it is. It's easier to change chords when there's only 2 strings than 3, then I'll get better with 3.

#18 OFFLINE   paulg1630

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Joined 17-November 11

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

ye i learnt horse with no name its all at the 2nd fret.wild thing is good to play chords are a,d,e,d just constantly repeated then try it using power chords.What is your favourite rock song if you dont mind telling,

#19 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

Pualg1630, thanks for that info. I will go to Wild Thing next because my favorite band covered that song and it's the best version!!!

#20 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

Pualg, yeah you're right. Wild Thing is quite easy. Thanks, it's good to practice with these two songs using two strings and getting used to it before using three imo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users