- - - - -

Picks or Fingers When Strumming?

4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:29 AM

That's basically it. I'm curious of how many of you play your electric guitar using picks and which ones use your fingers only? It's been about a month now and I had been practicing with my fingers because my teacher only plays that way. When I switched just shortly to do scales I found I could not feel the strings well and of course made many mistakes, so I will stay with the picks and once I learn maybe try both.

I know how to spell but I still have the habit of looking for "spellcheck" on forums.

#2 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

Hi waterbunny i use a pick for probably 80% of my electric guitar playing and i use my fingers for nearly 100% when playing my accoustic.I get a much nicer sound and feel i have more control when i play without a pick.I think its a good idea to learn how to play both but its personal choice i suppose.
What kind of music do you play?

#3 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

Hi Stu, I just started lessons so I'm not using any particular. I've had only 3 lessons so far and going through a lot of theory. I think I will learn with the pick mostly, I have a feeling that it would be the best choice, of course I could be wrong. My teacher only uses his fingers.

#4 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,327 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

Waterbunny,

I think it depends on the type of music you want to play. Both have their advantages. If you are just strumming chords you may like a pick better.

Mike

#5 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

Your not wrong to choose to play with a pick Waterbunny it is up to you.My old guitar teacher never used a pick but he plays mostly classical music on a nylon strung guitar.Steel strings are much harder on the old fingers and nails so i do use a pick for most of my playing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users