Waterbunny

Picks or Fingers When Strumming?

That's basically it. I'm curious of how many of you play your electric guitar using picks and which ones use your fingers only? It's been about a month now and I had been practicing with my fingers because my teacher only plays that way. When I switched just shortly to do scales I found I could not feel the strings well and of course made many mistakes, so I will stay with the picks and once I learn maybe try both.

I know how to spell but I still have the habit of looking for "spellcheck" on forums.

Hi waterbunny i use a pick for probably 80% of my electric guitar playing and i use my fingers for nearly 100% when playing my accoustic.I get a much nicer sound and feel i have more control when i play without a pick.I think its a good idea to learn how to play both but its personal choice i suppose.

What kind of music do you play?

• Like 1

Hi Stu, I just started lessons so I'm not using any particular. I've had only 3 lessons so far and going through a lot of theory. I think I will learn with the pick mostly, I have a feeling that it would be the best choice, of course I could be wrong. My teacher only uses his fingers.

Waterbunny,

I think it depends on the type of music you want to play. Both have their advantages. If you are just strumming chords you may like a pick better.

Mike

• Like 1

Your not wrong to choose to play with a pick Waterbunny it is up to you.My old guitar teacher never used a pick but he plays mostly classical music on a nylon strung guitar.Steel strings are much harder on the old fingers and nails so i do use a pick for most of my playing.

• Like 1