someone101

Playing electric guitar through pc

someone101    0

Hi :)

I recently bought an electric guitar. I want to learn how to play it, but at the same time I don't want to disturb anyone. So I have the first act usb cable and I have the guitar rig 5 program on my computer. So What I want to know is, is there a way for me to play the guitar with what I have or do I still need an amp?

RolandC    8

Hey someone101,

Sounds like you have what it takes to get started. The only issue I have heard about with these rigs is that if the processor speed of your computer is not sufficient, you might have some lag time between striking the note and hearing it play.

Eventually, if you decide you are going to play out, you will need to get an amp, but it's probably not necessary right now. FYI though, most solid state amps (but not tube amps) come with headphone jacks for stealth playing.

someone101    0

Thanks RolandC.. I have tried it today with some success.. but there is so much background noise. If there are any experts here on how to set the simulator amp to avoid that, it would be great :)

pHGTRSpider    32

Hey there Someone101,

noise and lag through a pc is a common problem and can be expensive to fix. Have a look around for an earphone amp, say from Vox or a Korg Pandora. Both of these devices allow earphones, can sound fantastic and second hand will be very cheap to buy. Happy strumming. Cheers

someone101    0

Thank you for the advice pHGTRSpider :) I will look around for those earphone amps.. you know in hindsight maybe I should have bought an acoustic one to learn on and then invested in an electric afterwards :/

carol m    64

If you have your guitar plugged into your computer and are using your computer's sound and recording system you are likely to get some noise. Most people invest in an Audio Interface of some sort - it''s a separate piece of hardware that connects between your guitar and your computer. It has it's own high quality sound card and cuts out the background hiss and crackle you can get when plugging straight into your computer.

As for getting an amp, you don't really need one (unless you want one) because there are free online amp simulators that will give you amp sounds through your computer - either through earphones or via your hi fi speakers or similar. Reaper is a free program that gives you lots of different amp effects to choose from. It takes a bit of a learning curve to work out how it works but it's not really hard.

If you have a Mac you already have GarageBand on your computer already, but it doesn't sound like you use a Mac.

You can also get audio interfaces that have built in amp effects such as the RP series by Digitech. There are lots of others.

You can search on ebay if you are looking to pick up something a bit cheaper. You should be able to get a new interface for around $200 or so, and some have built in amp effects. I used to use a US122 from Tascam - an old ebay special but wasn't compatible with my new computer.

I recently bought a Focusrite Saffire 6 which cost me $230 new but there is a cheaper one without Midi called a Scarlet - around $130 new in Aus - cheaper in the states. I don't know if that one has amp effects with it- but you can use it together with a program like Reaper. Other brands are MAudio and many more to choose from.

Places to look for info are Tekker's lessons on Recording in the Member's Lessons section.

Also Home Recording Review.com has the option of going through a Choose Your Audio Interface (or similar) where you can select the sorts of features you want on your interface e.g the type of connection (USB or Firewire), the number of in/out options, with or without phantom power (for condenser mics), working on Mac and PCs, with midi etc etc.

And if you get stuck, you can ask us again. :)

Oh yes, if you buy an amp, you can plug in earphones and no one can hear a thing.

someone101    0

wow! thanks carol m :) that was some useful info .. I am glad to know there are some alternatives out there that can be used instead of an amp. I'll see what I can find in my country, I am sure I'll one of these devices you guys mentioned :)

Stu74    35

Hi someone101

there a some great little amps out there that dont cost much and have lots of settings and effects.Like people have already said you can plug your headphones in when you dont want to disturb the neighbours.I use a tiny little Roland micro cube which i love.It dosnt take up much space and is very portable.