- - - - -

New to guitar and teacher

7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

How does a new student to guitar know that they have a good teacher especially if the beginner does not know anything about guitar playing? Thanks

#2 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,999 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:16 PM

I would think that a good teacher would give you a good explanation and examples of what he will be teaching you in the beginning stage and why and a brief summary as to where you will be in the future.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#3 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:31 PM

OK, then I'm on the right track.

#4 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,305 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

Waterbunny,

Eddie's answer is right on. Don't forget to have fun with it.

Mike

#5 OFFLINE   Jimbo70

• Active Members
  • 78 posts
  • Joined 30-December 08

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

Waterbunny, I think Ed makes a good point but don't leave it all to your teacher. You need to work with your teacher to develop short and long term goals based on your interests and her job is to get you headed in the right direction. It also helps if you and your teacher are interested in playing the same kind of music. I know all the basics are the same but if you want to play heavy metal you may hit a wall with a teacher who plays primarily country and blues.
I'm guessing from your picture that you are more than ten years old and learning is much harder for adults. I started as an adult with unrealistic expectations of where I would be after 6 months, a year etc... Don't put hard time frames on your progress and don't get discouraged because you are not where you thought you would be.
You should take pleasure in the progress you make and don't compare youself to others, I know some people like to record themselves, try that and listen to it a month or even six months later and and you'll be stunned how much progress you've made. Expect that there will be peaks, valleys and plateaus along the way.
Last but not least don't forget to practice. I try to get 45 minutes to an hour 5 or 6 days a week and I usually take a break in there somewhere.

#6 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

Thanks Jimbo, I'm 51 yrs of age. I did talk to my teacher just a tad about it. So I will ask him again of what he thinks if I stay with the pick or if I should use my fingers to start off. We both like the same music, rock music. I gave him a small list of the type of songs l like and I learned the term "riff". The songs I'd really like to play are from a variety of rock artists except for one band where I'd like to play all of their music. I try to practice daily for at least an hour to hour and a half but I do find myself missing some days so I'm guessing I'm like you with the 5-6 days a week. I'm really going to try to 7 even if it's just practicing the scales or finger movements.

#7 OFFLINE   Jimbo70

• Active Members
  • 78 posts
  • Joined 30-December 08

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

Scales and chords are the foundation of everything you will do. Somewhere down the road the scales will be more than excercises but at this point hey do a lot to build dexterity, muscle memory and help you become familiar with the neck.
I love riffs, A great riff anchors a song, What would satisfaction be wihout Kieth's iconic riff? I woauld caution you not to get to hung up on them right away, a friend of mine spent two years learning riffs but no much else. It sounds cool but you end up being a guitar store hero, lets of flash but no substance. Stick with chords and scales.

#8 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

Jimbo, thanks, but don't be concerned about me learning only certain things, that's one thing I don't want to do. I want to know everything and everything accomplished the correct way. I want to understand that if someone says something like "we're going to play this in C" I want to know what it means. My teacher did tell me there are guitarists, some well known who don't know these things and come to a blank when it comes to that. I don't want any short cuts no matter how long it takes, so let me go back and work on my scales and this neck. Yeah, it get's boring but I know it will pay off.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users