- - - - -

Glad to be here and a question

10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

Hi, I'm probably the oldest one starting to learn to play electric guitar on this forum or close to it. I'm 51 and I've had 2 lessons so far. My main question is this: When I practice I do it sitting down, won't it be a big difference once I learn something and play it when I'm standing up since the guitar will be lower? Should I only practice standing? I would like to sit where I can feel I can concentrate more on the fret board and notes. Also, my teacher showed me a chord to practice and my pinky finger wants to curve in so much that I'm stretching my pinky with exercises.

Also, how often should I practice, meaning what is the average if there is one. I try daily but don't always get it in. When I do practice about 4 times a week, I do about 2 hours but I want to up that. Sorry about all the questions.

#2 OFFLINE   RolandC

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • Joined 04-November 11

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:56 PM

Welcome Waterbunny.

There's agood video about playing standing up here:

With apologies to the Bard:

"The fault lies not in our [guitars] Horatio, but in ourselves."

#3 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

Roland, thank you! Even when I was a teen it looked cool to play the guitar low. I don't know why, I had no friends who liked my music, it just looked cool. When the guitar is higher while standing it looks kind of dorky unless it's a blues player like BB King or someone like that, then it's different. Sigh.......

#4 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,027 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:18 PM

Welcome to the forum. Forget the dorky, gotta do what works best. Mostly have fun.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#5 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

Eddiez152, thanks, I'm sill all fingers of course. Once I learn I'd like to write some music. Many times I wake in the morning with tunes in my head. Hopefully soon I can get better and remember them.

#6 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,877 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:06 AM

Hi Waterbunny, welcome to the forum, I agree with Eddie, the position to choose is the one that makes you feel comfortable, The Beatles always had their guitars high, it was part of the 60's image and worked for them while the Bass player from New order Peter Hook plays with his Bass down to his knees which looks very uncomfortable but works for him, it's an individual thing, experiment a bit, you may prefer sitting down, as long as it's comfortable it's cool, glad you're enjoying the experience and keep us posted on your progress.
You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#7 OFFLINE   paulg1630

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Joined 17-November 11

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:35 AM

hi i did a search for begginer guitar lessons found something that would keep you busy http://guitar.about....ssonarchive.htm maybe something to supplement the lessons your having.well youve got off to a good start.

#8 ONLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,404 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

Waterbunny,

Hold the guitar with what is comfortable for you. Learn good technique and it will carry you far. You can be cool later.

Here's a link that will give you some idea for a practice schedule - http://tomhess.net/PracticeGuitar.aspx

Welcome to the forum. You're never too old to start playing the guitar.

Mike

#9 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,027 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

Waterbunny,

The next time you awake up with a tune in your head, Open a recording session, sing it, hum it, and keep it for future reference. I simple recorder will do, but you can download audacity and use it to record your vocal tunes. Later turn them into music.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#10 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

welcome to the forum.

#11 OFFLINE   Waterbunny

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

Thank you all for the nice welcome plus all of the tips. Since this is new, it does feel better for me to sit and practice, doing more scales than anything now. So I will sit.

Starsailor, I think it was quite normal during the Beatles era to have the guitars high but when I look at old footage I don't notice it because I guess I'm used to seeing them play like that. I will check out Peter Nook from New Order, I like their music. That reminds me of the lead of Green Day, I swear it looks like his arms aren't even that long.

Also, thanks for the links that you guys sent.

Eddie, as my ear gets trained, I should be able to find the notes when I wake up with tunes, the last one was a couple of nights ago and it sounded the best. In the past I used to wake with tunes that lasted the entire morning of getting ready for the day, only they were the most cheesiest songs my mind has ever made up, but hey, like one of my friends said, "So what, have fun with it".

If anyone is interested in seeing what I'd like to play for example, YouTube 'Tattooed Love Boys' by the Pretenders, watch them go!! RIP James and Pete.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users