- - - - -

New to this and I'll no doubt I'll have a lot of questions later

10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scarysteve

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 22-May 12

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:39 AM

Hi. New to the site. Been trying to teach myself back into guitar playing for a number of years now. Had an accident when I was seven and that's when I was just really getting into but never. You never do at that age - too many distractions. So, many, many years on I'm back giving it another go. I prefer electro acoustic (best of both worlds I think) and I like home recording with the computer using various software packages. Haven't quite found the right one yet but nearly there. All within a budget though.

I own a Ovation Idea guitar. Not used it to its full capacity yet but a nice guitar but not the best to handle when sitting. It has a larger bowl back than most round backs I've tried. I like the idea of being mobile so having a laptop and a couple of small recording gizmos allows me to 'get up and go'. I'm looking at the Yamaha APX series. They seem to be smaller. More questions on that area later maybe.

First thing though is, I am a novice on the guitar. I found that I am not a natural so it is going to be hard work. I make a lot stuff up. I don't go for covers (too disappointing) so I write my own stuff. I diddn't realise it is quite as rewarding to write and record/edit your own stuff. Not started on lyrics yet. The whole microphone thing will have to wait.

One question if you have got this far is, the sound the strings make when you change chords, is there an actual name for that and how do you cut it down?

That's enough for the intro's. Hope to chat to you all at some point.
STeve
If only I stuck at it when I was seven!

#2 OFFLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,523 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

Howdy Steve welcome, not sure if there is a name for the sound when you change chords , you could try sort ease off lifting your fingers so you dont get a "pull off' sort of thing happening when you change combined with a bit of right hand muting.
What's Rangoon to you is Grafton to me

#3 OFFLINE   OldG

• Active Members
  • 761 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:06 AM

+1 on the 'pull off'... just what I was thinking when I read the OP.... practice making your chords 'gently on and gently off', eventually it will become slick and controlled - build speed from there...
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; None but ourselves can free our minds'.
Robert Nesta Marley 1945- 1981

#4 OFFLINE   OldG

• Active Members
  • 761 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:10 AM

As for recording software, look no further - uncrippled,unexpiring and free to try for 30 days demo here... http://www.cockos.co...er/download.php
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; None but ourselves can free our minds'.
Robert Nesta Marley 1945- 1981

#5 OFFLINE   scarysteve

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 22-May 12

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

Thanks guys. So a 'pull off' it is and gently gently. I've used Acoustica Mixcraft which seems to be PC version of Garageband which I have used before but the interface is familar although haven't got into yet. Just writing down those chord sequences so I don't forget just now for the moment. Hopefully soon though.
Steve

#6 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,305 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

Steve,

With practice a good portion of the string noise will go away. Welcome to the forum.

Mike

#7 OFFLINE   KurtSimon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 08-May 12

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

Hi, Steve. For years, I've heard the name of the sound you're talking about as "finger squeak" and sometimes "string squeak." In any case, I agree with the others above on how to reduce it. Also, I get a lot less of it if my hands are softer, like if I've just done the dishes and then immediately play; all that warm water makes a difference. Not always practical, I know, and certainly a short-lived fix at best; but if you need to make a recording, for instance, washing your mitts in really warm water may buy you the time you need.

~Kurt

#8 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,874 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:48 AM

Hi Steve, Welcome to the forum, I use Mixcraft 5 for recording, always found Mixcraft user friendly and a good intro to DAWs, Reaper is also very good. Thought I'd post this up, just a video of a Yamaha APX 500 being put through it's paces.

You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#9 OFFLINE   scarysteve

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 22-May 12

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

Ok so some ideas there on pull offs and finger squeaks. I'm sure there is a full forum worth on that alone. I've spent years hardening the finger tips and now I have to wash my hands to soften them - oh hum!

Nice video upload by the way. I have a Oviation Idea and considering swapping for a Yamaha APX or maybe just buying one and seeing what happens.
Thanks guys for all the ideas.

Next up is - audio/guitar interfaces. What's best?

#10 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,999 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

Welcome to the forum !
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#11 OFFLINE   petruccii

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 31-July 12

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:40 AM

Welcome! :)
www.gitara1.com free guitar videos and tutorials.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users