Devin37043

Need help on which to buy!

So I have been looking into the right guitar for myself and have narrowed it down to two. I was hoping you might be able to give me some in-site as to what to expect to purchase and which might be the best fit for me. The two I have narrowed it down to are the lbanez TCY10E or the AEF18. I want something that will keep me occupied for a good few years and has the potential to do digital recordings in the future. I would like to play rock and some jazz / blues but mostly want something that will be as versatile as possible for as little money as possible while still keeping a good enough sound to keep me interested until I feel the need to drop a large amount of money on the next one. Could you also please help me with trying to decide if I should purchase online to get a better deal since I really don’t know what would feel right to me anyways? Shocking thing is I haven’t really been able to find very many stores in the Nashville, TN that has more than two or three left handed guitars for sell. Especially when requesting an electric/acoustic. The other thing I was wondering is if these need to have battery power to play or if its just if your wanting that electric sound. Also should I consider going ahead and purchasing an amp or is that something I could always wait on and/or just play through my computer? Also, how do you feel about all the bundle kits you see online for sell?

Shocking thing is I haven't really been able to find very many stores in the Nashville, TN that has more than two or three left handed guitars for sell.

You know, I found the same when I was there. You would think there would be hundreds to choose from.

• Like 1

G'day Devin, Welcome to our community.

Before we start to tell you all about our favourite guitars, and our beliefs about how to buy one, you might like to give us a bit more information. Like how long you have been playing, and why you need a lefty.

If you're a seasoned player you probably wouldn't be asking that question, so I'm assuming you're just starting. If that's correct, I'd seriously recommend playing right handed, and being able to choose from a huge range of guitars at the best prices.

Once you've been playing for a while, it's a fair amount of work to change hands, but for the beginner it's really matterless which way you hold the guitar.

So back to you, ... let us know what your situation is.

Keep in touch.

Thanks Karcey!

I have zero experience with any of this. I have only held a handful of guitars in my life but I've also run into a spot where I need another hobby and would love to learn a string instrument. My only previous playing experience was in high school band playing the saxophone, but that was years ago. I understand what you mean by saying if I learn on a right handed guitar I will get so many more choices as far as finding the right fit for me. However, I am dyslexIa which makes me fear learning anything one way only to have to relearn it another way in the future. My main goal in all of this is to enter the music industry as a singer but I would like to spend atleast six months starting out on the guitar so I can start to get back into the swing of playing music again instead of just singing. This is why I am looking for something that would be as versatile as possible at this point but also allow me to record ditigally for use in the future. I guess to sum it all up.. If I stick with a left handed guitar and I want to keep a rock / jazz / blues feel what would be a few models you would highly recommend for under $400.00. Also, with these electric-acoustic guitars does it have to have the battery pack powered up before being able to play or is that just to amplify the sound?

Thanks again!

I have no experience with left handed guitars except to know that percentage wise, there aren't that many of them about.

I regard a guitar as like a piano, requires two hands to play it, both are busy, both do different things, neither hand is more important than the other, so it doesn't matter which way you learn. That's the reason I challenge beginners to choose what will be best for them in the future. When car manufacturers start making special models for left handed drivers, I'll probably re-examine my beliefs.

Acoustic guitars sound just like guitars, whether there's a pickup fitted or not. You don't need a battery to play it. If you want to amplify it, then it may require a battery for its preamp.

Higher quality acoustic guitars have solid tops instead of plywood. Gives a fuller, richer sound. Many acoustic/electrics have plywood tops. Makes no difference when they're played through an amp, but may sound just a tad inferior when played unplugged. That said, I'd be willing to bet most players couldn't pick the difference except in a side by side comparison. I have a number of guitars, solid tops and plywood (actually they call that laminated ... I'l have to try to remember to use the euphemism) and all are pleasant to play.

I won't try to recommend any particular brand. You should hold a few guitars in your hands, feel the weight, smell the timber, look at the finish, listen to the sound of your thumb plucking each string, and then buy the one you like best. No-one will criticise you for your choice. Don't pretend to a salesperson that you know anything ... you just end up looking like a dill. They know how much you know the first time you touch a guitar. So listen to what the sales staff say, but buy the one that turns you on.

Of course now we're back to the left/right question. There's a better choice of right handed guitars.

It's now up to you. Your choice. A bit like choosing a wife or husband. Don't rush into it. Think lots and ask lots, and only buy when you're happy about what you're doing.

Keep in touch.

I personally know 2 left handed guitarists. 1 is my guitar teacher and he has played guitar for over 30 years and he has always played left handed.The other 1 has only played for a few years and he plays right handed because he feels more comfortable playing it that way.So if i was you(if you havnt done so already) i would try both ways to see what is more comfortable for you.

Like Karcey says dont rush.Take your time deciding which way your going to play.

As for which guitar you choose is up to you.I find reading online reviews helps and also if you can try out the guitar in the shop 1st to make sure you like it.

Im sure both the ibanez guitars you are looking at are great guitars.You wont need to rush into buying an amp at 1st just practice without an amp until you get a few chords under your belt.