whats your favourite song-piece of music

27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 672 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:10 PM

i've been on youtube for the last few hours just listening and thinking what was the most beautiful piece of music i've ever heard i never realised how hard it was to name a favourite song untill i tried.but here goes without a doubt the first is dire straits brothers in arms

please feel free to post your favourite songs on this post i think it would be interesting to hear what everyone on here classes as their favourite song is weather it is a country-classical-metal or anything in between.
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. B.B. King

#2 OFFLINE   tinsmith

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 173 posts
  • Joined 07-October 06

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

I love the way Tommy plays this....The harmonics in the beginning just blow me away.....

#3 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:06 AM

Yes Micky, Brothers in Arms is one of my favorites too. My all time favourite? Tom Waits - Waltzing Matilda aka Four Sheets to the Wind in Copenhagen and/or Tom Trabert's Blues aka by me: songs to break your heart by.

There was a time when I had to play this every night after a long night shift, before I could go to bed. I'm officially weird, I know.

Well I'm only allowed 2 vids per post, I'll post my third choice in a second post - wouldn't want you to miss out. :)
No, it's only one video per post, so I'll make two more posts for my second and third choices.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#4 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:08 AM

Second cab off the rank is: for the brilliant lyrics (Leonard Cohen), and for Jennifer Warnes' delivery- much better than Emylou Harris in my book. The guy on bass gets a special mention but that's not the best part for me

One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#5 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:13 AM

And coming in at No 3. Crowded House, Into Temptation.for the melody, lyrics, but above all that killer bass line and the transition from verse to chorus - gets me every time. Please ignore the awful video, or close your eyes, but this video has the best sound

#6 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:19 AM

Hey Micky Mac, now see what you've done! - dredging up old memories (and making me 'waste' at least an hour of weekend time:))

I almost forgot! How could I? After, or before, Waltzing Matilda, I had to play this one too:

Now I've cheered everyone up, I'm off for coffee and scones!

#7 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 672 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:32 AM

tinsmith i like that to its mental how he plays guitar.
Waltzing Matiilda thats a class song i never heard Tom Waits before he has a great voice i must look up some of his stuff i like time the best it remembers me of an old irish rebel song similar melody can't remember what it was now its wreaking my head :brickwall: .Jennifer Warnes nice voice but the song is a little slow for me.Crowded House, Into Temptation i never heard that before i like it.
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. B.B. King

#8 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:48 PM

Micky you know i love MK and Brothers in arms is in my opinion one of the best songs ever.For me the last couple of minutes of Tunnel of love is Dire Straits finest pieces of music.I love the way the guitar and piano blend together and the song fades.
If anyone reading this dosnt know the song i recomend listening to the whole song(about 10 minutes) nice and loud.

#9 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 672 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:13 AM

is nice alrite stu but i prefer sultans of swing or going home is right up in my top 5.

#10 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

Yes, Going Home is one of my favs too, I got on a Tom Waits theme, and I thought I'd best give some other people a look in and not hog the airwaves. What? No one else has any favorites? Don't be shy.

#11 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,878 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

Steely Dan are one of my favourite bands, it's hard to choose my favourite song of theirs but this song from their first album is one of them.

You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#12 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

Good choice starsailor.Steely Dan are an awesome band.

#13 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,878 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:32 AM

View PostStu74, on 06 May 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

Good choice starsailor.Steely Dan are an awesome band.

Cheers Stu, I've been lucky to see them live a few times, they didn't come over here much, they're brilliant live. Great choice of songs here, great thread, another one of my favourites is Joni Mitchell, like her voice and she's a great storyteller too. this is probably my favourite of Joni's from the Hejira album, Neil Young plays harmonica on this and it really creates an atmosphere.

You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#14 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 672 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:57 AM

aye nice choice SS.

Since Mark Knopfler is one of my favourite players and going home local hero is one of my favourites thought id post these 3 videos i seen them a couple of years ago and i keep going back to watch them he gives these 3 lads a guitar lesson some real class playing from all 4 of them the first 2 of them he listens to them playing and gives tips and the 3rd they all jam on going home.I love the way he tries to keep the middle fellow under control.

#15 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 672 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

video 2

#16 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 672 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:06 AM

and heres the jam

#17 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

What i would give to be one of them guys.Just to be in the same room as Mark Knopfler would be amazing.

#18 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 672 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

aye it would be cool altough he does'nt coms across in this video like he has alot of patience and knowing me id get stage freight and forget how to play lol

#19 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

Yeh i wouldnt want lessons from him thats for sure.I think he would shout at me.Also he dosnt play the guitar text book he plays his music with feeling that is something that probably cant be taught.

#20 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 672 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

haha i don't even think he would shout at me he'd just leave lol. i think the more i watch my favourite guitarists there not thinking about scales more the chords i think thats why there so melodic they know exactly the best notes.probably from decades of practice just makes me realise they have alot of talent too id say if i'm still practicing my scales in 30 years time i might be able to play some of his songs perfectly but write one i don't think so.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users