chords fingering dm7

9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tommo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 30-April 12

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

Hello guys!

I'm new to playing the guitar, and have been working my way through a series of video lessons.
One of the lessons mentions the Dm7 chord and shows the recommended fingering to be played with the fingers 2 1 1
However, I am finding it very difficult to get my hand in a comfortable position to play this and to get the chord to ring true. I find it much easier to use the fingers 3 1 1 instead.
Is there justification as to why it should be played 2 1 1 as opposed to 3 1 1?

Thanks in advance!

#2 OFFLINE   Doug

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,889 posts
  • Joined 14-November 05

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:48 AM

Hi Tommo,
Short answer - do whatever works ;)
Long answer, prolly best to use 2 1 1 as it will be a good exercise for learning the dreaded F chord where you'll need 3 for another string.

Best of luck.
"we don't see things as they are, we see things as we are" - Anais Nin

#3 OFFLINE   OldG

• Active Members
  • 761 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

Its worth persevering with the 211 fingering,as this is only an finger away from an F chord, a small move to Am and Dm, the basis of partial barre chords that can be played with the thumb over to complete etc,etc. IMHO of course....
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; None but ourselves can free our minds'.
Robert Nesta Marley 1945- 1981

#4 OFFLINE   tommo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 30-April 12

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

Cheers guys!
Sigh, well, I want to do this properly so time to go give my hands a workout.

#5 OFFLINE   OldG

• Active Members
  • 761 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:18 AM

I play Dm7 and F by using the side of my Ist finger - the action of rolling my finger to the side seems to sit the other fingers I want to use, more comfortably on the places they need to go..

Some more advice if I may offer it.... as you're new to guitar, when trying to play cleanly - DON'T press harder on the strings if you got a buzz... nearly always caused by fingers wrongly placed on the strings and/or fingers touching strings they shouldn't be. Squeezing doesn't help it just hurts your hand....
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; None but ourselves can free our minds'.

#6 OFFLINE   tommo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 30-April 12

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

Ah, using the side is much easier, thanks for the tip.

Haha, yeah, I figured out that one earlier on when I was getting buzzing sounds. After squeezing harder It just resulted in sore fingers as well as buzzing sounds.

#7 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,228 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

Tommo,

You should use the recommended fingering for chords. As mentioned above, it will make it easier to transition to other chords later on. After a while with practice, the fingering will become natural. Welcome to the forum.

Mike

#8 OFFLINE   OldG

• Active Members
  • 761 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

View Posttommo, on 30 April 2012 - 07:26 AM, said:

Ah, using the side is much easier, thanks for the tip.

Hey, no worries - glad to help. I used to hassle every guitar player I knew for tips when I was a beginner. Posting here helps me pay my dues....

View Posttommo, on 30 April 2012 - 07:26 AM, said:

Haha, yeah, I figured out that one earlier on when I was getting buzzing sounds. After squeezing harder It just resulted in sore fingers as well as buzzing sounds.

Sounds like you're on the right track for sure - welcome to the site,btw !

Out of curiosity which song are you learning?

Cheers
Mick

#9 OFFLINE   tommo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 30-April 12

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

View Postmset3, on 30 April 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

You should use the recommended fingering for chords. As mentioned above, it will make it easier to transition to other chords later on. After a while with practice, the fingering will become natural. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks Mike! Yeah, I figured there was a recommendation for a reason; however, I just wanted to make sure!

View PostOldG, on 30 April 2012 - 10:00 AM, said:

Out of curiosity which song are you learning?

No particular song as such; the video lessons have a book that goes with them and it contains many little exercises and passages to work through. There are songs in here, but just simple things like "Minuet in G" an "Greensleeves".

#10 OFFLINE   MarkHenry

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Joined 06-April 12

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:33 AM

As per my opinion you should use the recommended fingering for chords.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users