- - - - -

iPad or similar for music stand?

8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   OldManGuitarNewbie

• Active Members
  • 210 posts
  • Joined 02-February 09

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

Couldn't figure out how to search the forum........

I've been using a loose-leaf notebook to keep the lyrics and chords, etc for my songs. I put that on the music stand, but that notebook is getting thick! I'd like to get ride of the music stand and instead clip an iPad, eee Pad, etc. to the mic stand like I've seen a couple of times. Never able to ask the singer about his set up.

Anyway, I have laptops, desktops and netbooks, but none of them give me what I need: something compact to eliminate the music stand and that are like a "pad".

All I really need is a pad type device that allows me to display text/word documents/pdf files. I can make what I have now on the PC into any of those formats. I do what the pad to display in both a horizontal and vertical format, which I'm guessing all do. I really don't need a keyboard even, as long as I can somehow load the text/Doc/PDFs onto it. Of course, I am assuming that the pad thing has a touch screen so I can display the index of my songs, touch the one I want, maybe increase the font size, etc, etc. It would be nice to also run band-in-a-box on it, but I suspect that's a bit much! <g>

I'm asking for suggestions is you have such a set up. I have seen a friend's eee-Pad (asus?), and it appears to be good, but I know there are other things.
Eastman AC412 (K&K Pure Mini), Eastman ETG1,Eastman E10-OM AE, Eastman AC122 CE, Eastman AC 420CESB, Taylor 320 (LR Baggs Lyric)
Pono ATDC-Ce (tenor ukulele), Oscar Schmidt OU53 (baritone ukulele)

#2 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,233 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

OldMan,

Can't help you here. I'm still using a loose-leaf binder.

Mike

#3 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,885 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

I went the Ipad route. So what can you do with it excluding Band in the box. If you need your PC take it too.

1. Not as cumbersome as a lap top.
2. Store lyric pages with Chord from your favorite sites.
3. Chord reference charts.
4. Tuners.
5. Auto flip paqges
6. Chord progression wheels
7. Backing tracks
8. Your own tunes.
9. Drum beats
10. Metronome
11. Hook up to a sound system of that matter acoustics amps that have that ability like my Roland AC-33 or Bose tower.
12. Create loops with Garage band or Digital Performer.
13. Go on line and do all the other stuff you think you want.

Dont forget to take your charger AC or DC so you wont lose any power.

Best for last ! See and Practice Kirks lessons.

Love mine

eddie
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#4 OFFLINE   OldManGuitarNewbie

• Active Members
  • 210 posts
  • Joined 02-February 09

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

View Posteddiez152, on 27 April 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

I went the Ipad route. So what can you do with it excluding Band in the box. If you need your PC take it too.

1. Not as cumbersome as a lap top.
2. Store lyric pages with Chord from your favorite sites.
3. Chord reference charts.
4. Tuners.
5. Auto flip paqges
6. Chord progression wheels
7. Backing tracks
8. Your own tunes.
9. Drum beats
10. Metronome
11. Hook up to a sound system of that matter acoustics amps that have that ability like my Roland AC-33 or Bose tower.
12. Create loops with Garage band or Digital Performer.
13. Go on line and do all the other stuff you think you want.

Dont forget to take your charger AC or DC so you wont lose any power.

Best for last ! See and Practice Kirks lessons.

Love mine

eddie

Would like to hear more about that "auto flip pages".
So BIAB will run on the iPad? Is that what you use for making the backing tracks?
How do you connect from the iPad to the amp? My Ibanez 35w amp has (I think, not at home now) a connection for a mic and the guitar. Not sure if there is another connection.

Kirk has lessons on this topic? Connection of an iPad etc?

Thanks.
Eastman AC412 (K&K Pure Mini), Eastman ETG1,Eastman E10-OM AE, Eastman AC122 CE, Eastman AC 420CESB, Taylor 320 (LR Baggs Lyric)

#5 OFFLINE   OldManGuitarNewbie

• Active Members
  • 210 posts
  • Joined 02-February 09

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

I'm the OP. Found this link as a start.....so there are things to attach an iPad or EEE Pad to a mic stand....Just though I'd pass it along in case anyone else if looking for such a solution...........................

#6 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,885 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

Yes Bank in box app. is available for ipad. I thought is was not, and I just found it.

There are many turn the page apps too. I have two different holders that mount on the mic stand.

Ipad holder
http://www.musicians...CFQgDQAodI34vBg

Amps to plug in the Ipad. Here are my two
http://www.rolandus....?ProductId=1052
http://www.bose.com/...mpact/index.jsp

Attached Files

Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#7 OFFLINE   OldManGuitarNewbie

• Active Members
  • 210 posts
  • Joined 02-February 09

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

View Posteddiez152, on 01 May 2012 - 11:28 AM, said:

Yes Bank in box app. is available for ipad. I thought is was not, and I just found it.

There are many turn the page apps too. I have two different holders that mount on the mic stand.

Ipad holder
http://www.musicians...CFQgDQAodI34vBg

Amps to plug in the Ipad. Here are my two
http://www.rolandus....?ProductId=1052
http://www.bose.com/...mpact/index.jsp

I'm looking at the Asus eee Pad Transformer which is similar to the iPad, but I suspect my research will show some applications you use are missing. But I like the size of the Transformer over the iPad, and that will probably we significant for me. Thanks for those links, they will help with my research.

I think what I want most (so far) are large display, able to mount on the mic stand, abilily to display the titles to my song (like MS Explorer) with touch activation of that song. I can save my songs (lyrics and chords, no music) in PDF format and move them to a tablet with any of them I think. Its just making sure I can see the directly of titles, then touch the song title to display its PDF (text and chords). An auto-page turner would be good, but even better would be some way to manually turn the pages, but short of stopping playing for a half second to do that I have no idea how to do that!

My version of Band in a Box is 2010.5, so it would not run on iPad according to your link above.

#8 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,885 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

Ipad dimensions

5 7/8 x 7 3/4 angle 9 3/4
or
149.22 x 196.85 angle 247.65 mm

A bit bigger which is nice.
Asus Eee pad

6 7/8 x 10.66
or
176.8 x 271 mm

#9 OFFLINE   OldManGuitarNewbie

• Active Members
  • 210 posts
  • Joined 02-February 09

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:55 AM

I got a Toshiba Excite tablet a few days ago. Didn't know too much about tablet's in general, but I like the look and feel of this model, and from a good discussion with the salesperson looks like this one will do what I want. The resolution is very good on it.....sure makes my Toshiba Netbook look old-tech.

I have already converted a song or two from a .doc to a .pdf file, and those are very easily to read on the tablet. However, I still have an issue with two paged pdf file songs.....gotta solve that problem. Now I am researching how to attach the tablet to a music stand (etc), using the links I've posted here and also Eddie (above) has. So far THIS ONE looks the best for me IF it will fit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users