- - - - -

Kirk gigging this weekend in Sydney (Australia)

10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,247 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:22 AM

If you live in Sydney and you're wondering what to do this Sunday 29th, make your way down (up?) to the Bayview Tavern by 4 PM for a semi-unplugged duo I do with the great Kevin Bennett

It's FREE to get in and the music is rootsy, slidey and funky. KB plays acoustic, I play electric. 4 pm start, 7 pm finish ... you can take in the show and be home for dinner!

See you there!

#2 ONLINE   Doug

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,895 posts
  • Joined 14-November 05

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

Wish I could be there.
Maybe some day.
"we don't see things as they are, we see things as we are" - Anais Nin

#3 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,053 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

One of these days Kirk, Should I bring a guitar?

That reminds of of story,
I use to go hunting with a friend of mine for years. One day he invited me to a Goose hunt at a professional club in southern Illinois. When I we got there he introduced me to some of the finest goose callers on the planet. These guys were super and of course they also sold their brand of goose calls.
Of course i could not resist and got one for me. Now the next thing was to learn how to use it. Hence some lessons from the professionals of course. Before you knew it, I was calling geese in from all over the county and got rave reviews from the pros as we sat outside the cabin.
5 am and up and ready to go. Well, got my gear and my goose call. As we climbed into the truck the Professional guide said "great gear but you wont be needing that call so relax and let us do the calling" H'm wonder what he was trying to tell me ???? :crying2:

All the best and have a great gig.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#4 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,247 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:04 AM

Now there's a wild goose chase story if ever I've heard one.

Thanks, Eddie.

#5 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

I went to the gig today, and guess who turned up? None other than......... Karcey! And also, Gail - Mrs Karcey to you! That was a real surprise - they had to drive for more than an hour to get there. And then, even Matt turned up! :)

The gig was great as usual, needless to say. There was even audience participation on harmonies in one song, 'Mary' - I just tried to track down who wrote it but couldn't find the same song that Kevin sang. Between songs, Kevin managed to speculate on what happens when you die, and what are the chances of life after death - is that a first in a live show?

Oh yes, the barman confided in me, 'They're really good, aren't they!' - I had to agree. :claping:
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#6 OFFLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,536 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

Yeah what a surprise , great to meet to meet you Karcey .
As Carol said show was excellent as usual , heap of new songs, great atmosphere, cold beer, what more could you want for on a Sunday afternoon.
What's Rangoon to you is Grafton to me

#7 OFFLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

I think Mary is a KB original Carol. http://www.theflood....iscography6.htm

What a nice surprise that Karcey showed up too! It sounds like it was a fun afternoon. I spent countless Sunday afternoons there back in the old days, maybe I'll make my way down there again one of these days.

Clancy
I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ~ Dr. Seuss

#8 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:04 AM

Yep, and you folk weren't the only ones surprised. For my wife Gail and me, there was an amount of expectation and I suppose a ray of hope. Both were exceeded beyond all belief.
We expected to meet Kirk. A real gentleman as expected. Very easy to talk to. It was as if we'd known him for years. Hmmm..... Maybe we have.
We expected a professional gig for an enthusiastic crowd. Obvious. Good venue, private and undisturbed by the other pub patrons. Relaxed presentation by two blokes who communicate musically and verbally but seemingly mentally as well. It was as informal as a jam session, but every song was good enough to record. That's a combination you can't get at large concerts.
We expected to hear good music and see magic fingers. Definitely. I didn't expect Gail to be as taken by it as she was, so that was a surprise for me.
I hoped there might have been someone else there that I knew. I couldn't believe it when Carol was standing there right near our table. And she sat with us for the performance. And a lovely person to share a table with too. Of course that meant there was local knowledge we could call on. Then Matt arrived. I'm sure it was just as much a shock for him as it was for me. And yes, all you distant members who haven't met him yet, he may be a man of short posts, but you can tell as soon as you meet him, he's big in character, someone whom you'd always have to invite whatever the occasion.
So the evening for me was memorable, exciting, mind blowing if you like, like when you think all your Christmases have come at once.
One day I might forget the pizza, the crowd, the drive home, even the music. But I'll never forget the warmth of sharing that short time with these great people.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#9 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,247 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:21 AM

Thanks for the nice review, Karcey, Carol, Matt ... we had a great time as always. It is basically a jam ... we don't rehearse and many of the tunes KB pulls out of the hat I've never heard before, or if I have, never played before. But, when you know the rules -- and the key -- it's just a lot of fun. There were a few derailments but overall we were quite pleased with the show.

Great to meet you, Karcey. As I told you, when I saw you sitting there I knew your face so well, I just couldn't figure out where from. Now of course I realize it was from your avatar. Thanks so much for taking the time and trouble to drive all the way down from Newcastle to see us. Thank Gail for me too.

Carol, Matt ... thanks to you too for coming, it's always great to see you.

#10 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:34 AM

I think seeing you there, Karcey, was a bigger surprise to us than it was to you! There I was chatting to Kirk before he went on stage when this guy standing nearby says, 'Carol??' I said 'Yes' wondering briefly who this guy was, and then all was revealed! A huge surprise and a great pleasure too. And I have to tell all you good folks - I didn't immediately recognise him because.....well, I wasn't expecting him, but the main reason was, he looks much younger than his avatar. No, really! :laughingg:

We did have a good time, and Gail was just as enthralled as Karcey was. We both agreed on many points, one of which was 'Much better than Eric Clapton'
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#11 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,053 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

Your a bunch of lucky folks out there. Would have loved to been there myself.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users