Sitting on Top of the World - New Bluesy Lesson

2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,216 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:26 AM

One for the more advanced among you, a great old blues tune called 'Sitting On Top Of The World', also a well known bluegrass song. I had a listen to several versions, from the original by the Mississippi Shieks to the Cream version. The one that rang truest to me was Howlin Wolf's amazing version. I used his chord progression for this finger style rendition, I think you'll like it.
The Sitting on top of the World Lesson is free for those who have already bought my 'Bluesy Finger-Style Lesson Collection' and will be there for you when you next login.

If you haven't bought my Bluesy Finger-Style Lesson Collection, you can find all the details here. You'll also be able to listen to the audio of Sitting on Top of the World and the 18 other lessons included in the collection (listed below).

Sweet Home Chicago
Windy Wednesday (chord progression from Stormy Monday)
Been Had Blues (Slide Guitar Lesson)
Bluellaby
Daydream Blues
Double Stop Blues
FunkE Acoustic
House of the Rising Sun (1)
House of the Rising Sun (2)
House of the Rising Sun (3)
Los Blues
New Year's Blues
Rainy Day Blues
Slinky A Minor
Tiptoe Through the Blues
12 Bar Blues (Lesson 1)
12 Bar Blues (Lesson 2)
12 Bar Blues (Lesson 3)

#2 ONLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,230 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

Nice lesson. Yes, I did see it was labelled difficult. At moments like this I remember a Woodie Allen quote: "Confidence is what you have before you fully understand the problem" - and also, I'm not afraid of failure, which is just as well in circumstances like this. Besides, Kirk makes it look so easy, so it must be - right? Besides, it's at a low beat per minute which always helps.

I haven't tried to play this yet, but I have a question - and I know I will not come out of this well, but:

In the Key of E Maj, the IV chord is usually/'supposed' to be, Major, and yet you have Am - I assume that's so you can grab the C to fit the melody between the A and the D9?

Also the vi chord in a Maj key is normally a minor chord, but your C chords are all Major - C#7 - | CMaj7 .

In fact many of these chords suggest (to me) that a minor key progression pattern is more logical, although it's obviously in EMaj, not Em.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#3 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,216 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

Tunes can either stay in one key or keep changing keys, carol. This one (to me, anyway) vacillates between E and G.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users