beginner chord changes

5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sumit_4palz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 14-April 12

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

Hello

I have been practicing beginner chord changes i.e. E>A>D>E and slowly picking up the speed and targeting to reach 30 chord changes. I know it will take sometime to reach a speed of 30 which people say is ideal. While i am spending most of time in this specific chord changes to achieve 30 CMP is there any thing else i should try apart from that?

I am following Rex Pearson beginner guitar series to learn

Thanks,
Sumit

#2 OFFLINE   nbwriter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 20-January 12

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hmm....

Not sure what you mean by "speed of 30", but we're in the realms of rhythm guitar here, sumit_4pals. You're in good company, both John Lennon and Pete Townsend were rhythm players.

Since I'm basically a rhythm player, I tend to focus on 3 chord songs and "tempo". Basically, you'll have a song in standard 4/4 time (moderato) and fast 4/4 (most rock songs). Its easy to get tempo wrong for a few reasons:

1. You have no drummer with you (or other way of keeping time)
2. You arent familiar with time sigs... Eg: 3/4 (waltz) or reggae (4/4 but emphasis on 3rd beat)
3. You're playing at your speed, rather than the intended speed of original tune.

Practice is the key to rhythm playing... that's why 3 chord songs are a good way "in". Patterns like CGF, EAD are used alot in 3 chord songs... "Love Me Do" and "I'm A Believer" come to mind...

Kind Regards, NB

#3 ONLINE   Doug

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,894 posts
  • Joined 14-November 05

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

Hi Sumit,

To add to what NBwriter wrote, it would probably be a good time to see what chords naturally fit together. The most common chord sequences for any key are the chords that are the first, fourth and fifth of a key. So for C, that would be C, F and G. Often, the five chord is played with a seven to give it added tension - that 7 chord will want to get resolved back to the one. So try C F G7 back to C.
All blues is like this. So in the key of E, it would be E, A and B7. Key of D, it would be D, G and A7. Key of A, it would be A, D and E7.

In jazz tunes, the chord sequences tend to be more sophisticated but often follow the pattern 3, 6, 2, 5 and then 1.

In any key, the chords will follow the following sequence for minors and majors - the lower case letters indicate minor and the capitals indicate major:
I ii iii IV V vi vii
or, major, minor, minor, major, major, minor, minor (the seventh is a bit weird because it has a flattened 5 in it as well - but let's not worry about that yet).
So for example, in the key of C (nice key because there are no flats or sharps), you get C Dm Em F G(7) Am Bm(b5).
And the chords to try to play with in C would be for I IV V - C F G(7) or for iii vi ii V I, Em, Am, Dm, G(7), C.

Let me know if you are interested and I will write out the iii vi ii V I's and the I IV Vs for all the keys.
-Doug
"we don't see things as they are, we see things as we are" - Anais Nin

#4 OFFLINE   sumit_4palz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 14-April 12

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:50 AM

Thanks guys for awesome responses.

My intent of asking this question was if i am going in right direction. By 30 i mean to develop a pace by which i can switch 30 chords in a minute i.e. from E > A > D > E. I forgot to mention that i am using Acoustic guitar.

If any once can suggest some more songs/suggestion based on 3 chords that will help.

I will take NB's suggestion and try other patterns also and develop speed slowly.

Doug : Thank you for offering your help, once i learn some more chords i will reach out to you.

#5 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:35 AM

Im definately not an expert but my opinion is that speed of changing chords is important but that will develop naturally over time.
Practice speed changing from E-A-D-E but dont let it get in the way of learning lots of other new chords.

#6 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,382 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:16 AM

Sumit,

I would suggest practicing with a metronome. It will help you change the chords and improve your timing. Start off slow and gradually increase the speed.

Work with three chord changes in various keys (e.g., C-F-G; D-A-E; E-A-B; F-Bb-C; G-C-D; A-D-E; B-E-F#' etc.). Check the Internet for songs that you would like to play. Google "Song Title Chords".

Mike

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users