- - - - -

New to guitar -- need suggestions (Greensleeves and The Godfather theme)

7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   prancingnotes

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 10-April 12

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

Hi Everyone!

I'm relatively new to the world of guitars (well, got my guitar more than a year back, but starting devoting time only about 2 months back). A google search for guitar-forums led me to this website.

Here is the link to a my first video (in finger-style on acoustic guitar) on youtube:

Greensleeves:

(I wanted to post the other one too, but couldn't embed both in the same post; will start a new post for that).

While these sound close to what they should, they're still 'broken' and not very fluent/smooth. It would be great if you could go through them and let me know what all I can do to improve.

I look forward to hearing (seeing :D ) some suggestions.

Cheers!

#2 OFFLINE   prancingnotes

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 10-April 12

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

Here is the link for Speak Softly Love (The Godfather theme):

#3 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

welcome prancingnotes.
Looks to me like you are getting the hang of playing the guitar.Sorry I cant give you any tips on how to improve.
Your doing great keep it up.

#4 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

G'day Prancingnotes, Welcome to our community.

You've made a great start, but I think there's a couple of ways you can make these tunes better.
First, keep playing them. They're both beautiful pieces so you won't get tired of them even if you play them every day.
Next, work on your timing. Listen to other people play them and get the flow going in your head. Practise slowly until the whole tune moves at a steady and even pace. I realize that personal expression and interpretation allows us to change the timing of music, but the underlying beat should be even. Two ways to achieve this are 1) play to a metronome (I hate doing this) or 2) copy a simple rendition of the music into a music editor like Sound Surgeon, slow it down to a speed you can play at, and play along.
When people listen to you play, they start to mentally hum along, expecting the next note to arrive at the right time. If it's too early, or late, then they don't feel part of the music and they want it to stop. If the notes come at about the right time, they love it. You're allowed to make mistakes, miss the occasional note or even hit a wrong one, and you'll be forgiven. But if you stop and replay something you've stuffed up, or go slow on a chord change because you can't play it well, the listeners aren't so forgiving.
So my advice is to continue doing what you're doing, concentrate on timing, and never stop playing the tunes you've learned. Soon you'll know dozens of songs and your audience will love listening to you.

Keep playing, keep posting, and keep in touch.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#5 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,242 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

Hi, prancingnotes, welcome to GfB&B.

I agree with Karcey, keep playing them and make sure that you are in charge of those fingers. You have a great hands and a great sense of music. You just need to clean up the arrangements. In Greensleeves you seem to be adding a few extra picking notes that are keeping the tune from flowing properly. Check the tab again (is that the lesson I posted here ?). The Godfather theme is a lot smoother and I'm guessing you've practiced it a bit more than Greensleeves. But, like I say, your hands are made for playing guitar so just keep playing.

#6 OFFLINE   prancingnotes

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 10-April 12

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

Thanks, guys!
It's really encouraging to see tips from seasoned guitar players :)

I'll definitely work on my timing and will post some new videos to gather feedback (that might take a little time as life is hectic with work).
Question: Is it okay if I keep adding such posts or would you like me to post those in some other section of the forum?

Cheers!

#7 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

It is all about practice. Your doing fine. Keep it up

#8 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,242 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

Keep posting by all means ... the best forum is the 'Get feedback on your playing' forum.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users