- - - - -

I have quite a few questions that I hope someone can help me with

3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SinistershadowX

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 06-April 12

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

I am a complete beginner at playing the guitar.

I am using my Dad's old classic acoustic guitar. I am having trouble playing more than one cord. It's like, they never add up. I know what the cords are, but when I try to play more than one, it doesn't sound right. Like, I'm not playing it fast enough or something. What can I do to make it better?

I can play a few songs using a high E and sometimes a B, but am not good at playing the other cords. Is that bad to play a song only using one note?

I'm having trouble holding the neck of the guitar. It really hurts my fingers, and I have trouble getting my whole hand on it. What can I do to make it easier? I have watched quite a few youtube videos of people playing guitars to see how they hold it, but it still isn't working for me.

When I'm trying to play a song, it doesn't make the right sound. like, the strings vibrate. However, if I hold down the strings on the neck, it makes every note sound flat.

When holding the guitar, I am having trouble seeing the strings, but if I slant the guitar, my fingers want to go on E and B. How can I see the strings?

I sincerely apologize for the many questions. I hope that you were able to understand what I was trying to say. I am learning completely on my own. No books or anything, so I obviously have many questions, and am not good at expressing what I'm trying to say. I have asked these questions of other sites, but no one ever answers. Thank you for reading.

#2 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,002 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

Two questions,
How old are you? Enough to get one or two lessons ?
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#3 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,327 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

SinistershadowX,

Check out the lessons on this site. They will help you get started on the right foot. Holding the guitar at first is awkward, but you will soon get used to it. If you can, it will also help you to take a lesson or two.

Mike

#4 OFFLINE   wlong

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 21-December 11

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

I cant answer all of your questions but I might be able to help with a few.

If your fretting hand is cramping while playing you are more than likely applying to much pressure to the the strings. They only need enough force to make them sound, try experimenting with this by adding a small amount of force while plucking a string until it plays.

As for the strings sounding flat when playing. Have you made sure that the guitar is in tune? You can buy easy to use tuners from any music store or online cheap, they even have a free online tuner here, you'll have to tune by ear but that shouldn't be to hard. Also going back to applying to much pressure to the strings, you might be bending them slightly with out even know it causing them to sound funny.

As far as seeing the strings while playing, tilting the guitar backwards can cause your fretting hand to hurt as you have to stretch to play 5th and 6th strings. If you really need to see what you are doing look up how to hold a classical guitar this might help you. There are many different ways to play the guitar but there are only a couple ways to properly hold and support it.

The internet is a amazing source for learning how to play the guitar. You can find just about anything you need from sites like this one or You Tube, but there is one thing to remember, the best online FREE lessons are not going to teach you everything that you need to know starting off. I would suggest that you pick up a beginners dvd as that should cover everything from how to hold the guitar/picks to fretting simple chords.

I came to this site much like you and not that long ago but I have learned a lot since then and I hope that this has helped you out a little.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users