acoustic

13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lcjones

• Active Members

• 2,738 posts
  • Joined 10-January 06

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Hey folks,,,,,

Thought I'd pop a new song in that I'm working on. Please don't hesitate to critique or offer suggestions on lyric or melody. I have my own thoughts about what needs some work but i'll post it as it stands for now.

Thanks for listening :)

LC

Now Til Then - Chapman Jones (03/12)
CAPO 4 (I'm dropped a full step - so CAPO 2 if you're in standard)

G............................D................................
Dark was the day when you came to say
C.......................Bm..........C....................D
I've met another lover I must be on my way
Lonesome are the words no matter how they're said
If it's a thousand years you'll never leave my head

Buried way down deep inside your heart
Is a place that I know of, where you let me get my start
Like the seagull on the wind travels to another shore
Know wherever you may land my love is always yours

Em...........................C.......................Asus2.....D
I have memories to fill my heart from now til then
Em.........................................C..............................Asus2....D
You have been the breeze to fill my wings from now til then

In the sadness of my night there will shine a star
Bright as the flowers wherever you are
Never let it be said my love for you is dead
As I lay down in my cold and lonely bed

I have memories to fill my heart from now til then
You have been the breeze to fill my wings from now til then

I will see your eyes in my heart from now til then
Can you see me cry in your heart from now til then
I will be here now til then

Respect The Music
I'll saddle up my pony so I wont be so lonely, at least I know his heart is true

#2 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,999 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

:yes: Excellent passage of write and music.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#3 OFFLINE   Lcjones

• Active Members

• 2,738 posts
  • Joined 10-January 06

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

Hey Eddie .... appreciate that! :)

Respect The Music
I'll saddle up my pony so I wont be so lonely, at least I know his heart is true

#4 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,248 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:46 AM

Hey there stranger! Glad to hear you still singing and playing up a storm. And great lyrics - did they take a while to write or was it ~ sudden inspiration? I reckon there were lots of rewrites - tight rhyming scheme etc - and the lyrics have an interesting twist on the normal standard lost-love theme - I was actually listening to the words all the way through to see what happened next.

Great song. :thumbup:
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#5 OFFLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:25 AM

Heya Les, I enjoyed that... I was just looking you up on iTunes the other day trying to find a song of yours... It had "crazy" somewhere in the hook and I just loved it. I could only find "Other side of My Heart" - do you have anything else out there?

Clancy
I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ~ Dr. Seuss

#6 OFFLINE   Lcjones

• Active Members

• 2,738 posts
  • Joined 10-January 06

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:27 AM

Hey Clancy,

Hope things are going well.

I haven't officially released anything yet. However, I did put an album together. And I'm still hashing or maybe it's hacking out stuff on it. All it takes it time and money. :) But I am indeed getting closer on a second album.

I wrote a song titled "No, I'm Not Crazy" . Maybe that's the one. Boy. I haven't listened to this one in ages. Wow. I should pull that out and really, really clean it up. I was trying to think when it was written. I know I had written it back in the late '90's or early '00's and later on worked it over a bit. Cathy always liked that tune.

Les

Respect The Music

#7 OFFLINE   Lcjones

• Active Members

• 2,738 posts
  • Joined 10-January 06

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

Hiya Carol,

Good to hear from you! Yep. Still plugin away.

Sudden inspiration. I had been listening to a lot of Gordon Lightfoot lately. I ran across an old tune called "Morning Glory" that I think was the catalyst for "Until Then".

This is the first write. But there's a second write below. I spent a couple of hours this past Monday to get the first write down. Funny, the second verse was the first verse written and the first was the second verse. I'll tell you, I was not happy at all with the last verse. The last verse was a tad too weak and a little to cliche. Hence a re-write.

I have a few things in mind about this tune to bring out the music and emotion. The second write and recording is better. Though I did things in the second I didn't like after hearing the recording. The additional "until then" in a couple of places sound out of place and perhaps forced. I'm working things in my head on how to get a better rhythm on a couple of lines.

Yeah, you know I've always been heavy on rhyming words. :)

We'll see how it all comes out in the wash.

LC

Respect The Music

#8 OFFLINE   Lcjones

• Active Members

• 2,738 posts
  • Joined 10-January 06

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:30 AM

Here's the 2nd write & recording . .....

Until Then (download)

G............................D................................
Dark was the day when you came to say
C.......................Bm..........C....................D
I've met another lover I must be on my way
Lonesome are the words no matter how they're said
In a thousand years you'll still be in my head
Until then,

Buried way down deep inside your heart
Is a place that I know of, where you let me get my start
Like a seagull on the wind travels to another shore
Know wherever you may land my love is always yours

Em...........................C.......................Asus2.....D
I have memories to fill my heart from now until then
Em.........................................C..............................Asus2....D
You have been the breeze to fill my wings from now until then

Never let it be said my love for you is dead
Though it lies in the darkness with stone for a bed
I'll take whatever you leave you know I'll always believe
When we meet again, you'll fall back in love with me
Until then ....

I have memories to fill my heart from now until then
You have been the breeze to fill my wings from now until then
Until then....

I will see your eyes in my heart from now til then
Can you see me cry in your heart from now til then
I will be here now til then

LC

Respect The Music

#9 OFFLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

View PostLcjones, on 30 March 2012 - 08:27 AM, said:

I wrote a song titled "No, I'm Not Crazy" . Maybe that's the one. Boy. I haven't listened to this one in ages. Wow. I should pull that out and really, really clean it up. I was trying to think when it was written. I know I had written it back in the late '90's or early '00's and later on worked it over a bit. Cathy always liked that tune.

Les

That's the one Les. So nice to hear it again. Didn't mean to hijack this topic... but I always thought it was such a great tune and I've been thinking about it for a while now, I found the old thread where you first posted it and got great feedback. I love it the way it is but would love to hear you do it again too.

Clancy
I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ~ Dr. Seuss

#10 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

great stuff. This line perhaps would express it better from" You have been the breeze to fill my wings from now until then" to You are the breeze to fill my wings from now till then
The memories are continuous so it follows that the breeze would be present tense rather than past tense. Just a thought. Minor quibble

#11 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,248 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

Nice pick Clancy! What a great song - there's nothing better than a man (or woman), a guitar, and a great song - simple (not easy), heartfelt (or the illusion of it) to the point, no bells and whistles - that always works for me. Except maybe 2 men (or women etc) 2 guitars and a great song.

Nice goin', champ! :yes: - not a typo.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#12 OFFLINE   Lcjones

• Active Members

• 2,738 posts
  • Joined 10-January 06

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

Righteous catch Marty! That went over my head. :)
Also changed "Though it lies in the darkness with stone for a bed" "Though it lies in the shadow with roses for a bed"
I felt the line was a bit too dark ...

Hey .. Clancy, Carol ... really glad you like that tune.. I will indeed pull it out and work on it.... :weirdeyes: umm , I'll find the lyrics and re-record .. ;)

Thanks folks.

LC

Respect The Music

#13 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,874 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:18 AM

Beautiful song LC, great to see you back again.

All The Best

Chris
You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#14 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,248 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:46 AM

At first I wondered why you were singing in a lower register than usual.....then came the chorus, and it all became clear. :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users