SchoolRockers1

Upgrading AMP for a Talented Son

My son has a fabulous Fender Blacktop Stratocaster HH guitar & a little starter Fender Frontman 15G amp. He's only been playing guitar for 1 year, but I'm so blown away by his talent - I want to surprise him on his birthday with a much better amp.

Looking so spend $350 - $500. Currently considering:

• Vox Valvetronix VT80
  • Fender Super Champ X2
  • Fender Pro Junior III
  • Jet City JCA2112RC

Here's a video of him playing for the 1st time on stage in front of an audience, so you can get an idea of how he plays and what amp I should lean toward for him. Thanks for any help! I'm pretty clueless!

eddiez152    129

I am thinking to get a Roland AC-33. The cool part of it is that it is battery operated for outdoors as well as plug in for indoor. But one of the neatest features it has is making loops. Check this out. If he is laying an Electric guitar this will not be the one he wants though.

pHGTRSpider    32

I think the gear he has got is fine for 1 year on. Why not get him something a bit more groovy, like a wah pedal, a pandora, an overdrive pedal or similar? Oh to have such choices!! :clap:

Andy S    9

I think I have to agree with Spider. The amp, for just one year of playing, is fine.

If you were looking to spend $350-$500, well, tell him you need to go to the hardware store for something and you want his opinion. Don't tell him what it's about, then as you pull up to the music store, he'll be excited and confused. Then when you go inside, tell him "Happy Birthday!! you have up to $500 bucks to spend!! Choose wisely grasshopper! "(old Kung fu verbage) He'll be freaked out ! Let HIM decide if he wants a pedal or a new amp.

Oh, and you might want to sneak his guitar into the trunk of the car so he can pull it out and try HIS guitar with whatever new appliance he's interested in.