Starting from scratch!

beginner electric

10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AdamSBennett

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 25-March 12

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

I've finally taken the leap and decided I'm going to buy a guitar. I'm about as beginner as a beginner can get. I own an acoustic guitar back home that my parents bought me years ago but was turned off from learning because the instrument was apparently a poor choice for beginners (cheap design, very high action, etc... all which I found out years later). I stumbled upon this site while browsing the web and figured if I'm going to learn, it would be a good idea to get some advice before jumping into things.

I've decided I'm going to learn on an electric guitar. Its more my style of music and I'm also living in military quarters at the moment... so the ability to keep the sound to a minimum is important.

These are the 2 choices I've come up with after doing a couple hours of research.

http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top
http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B0019421EY

Just wondering what some of your thoughts on this are before I decide to buy. Any advice would be appreciated!

#2 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,882 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

Adam.
Welcome to the forum and back to guitar. I stumbled on to this site too. Great place to begin your learning adventure.
Well as t which one I would choose, it would be the sunburst. But that only because I like the color. The real choice is up to you of course.
Trying before buying is always the best way to go though if you have a guitar store near you. But your place of residence may not be possible.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#3 ONLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,230 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

Adam,

Either one looks like it would serve your purpose. I agree with Eddie though. Try them out at a music store. If there is a Guitar Center near you, they also have a great selection in all price ranges. They can also give you some advice on a purchase.

Mike

#4 OFFLINE   RolandC

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • Joined 04-November 11

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hey Adam,

Just a few thoughts:

1) In general I agree with the previous posters--it's usually better to try before you buy. However, since you are starting from scratch, the "test-drive" at the shop may not be that useful to you as you are not yet in possession of the skills that would allow you to make an informed comparison.

2) Whichever guitar you choose, I would suggest that you have it professionally set up i.e. take it to a place that will have a guitar technician check the action, inspect the electronics, etc. Remember, mass produced guitars are often set up for shipping and not for playing. It is not uncommon for a professional setup to transform a cheap starter guitar from nearly unplayable to perfectly fine.

3) Apropos to 2, one of the biggest problems with the Asian-made Stratocaster knockoffs IMHO is that the quality control can be really spotty. Some are perfectly fine, while others have issues e.g. misaligned neck, loose electronics, etc. Again, a professional tech will be able to either address those issues or tell you that you need an exchange.

Good luck!

3)
With apologies to the Bard:

"The fault lies not in our [guitars] Horatio, but in ourselves."

#5 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

Don't forget a good small practice amp A 10 watt roland micro cube is very popular with guitar teachers and you can use earphones with it

#6 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,872 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:46 AM

Hi Adam, welcome to the forum, good advice above, have fun with the guitar you choose.
You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#7 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:00 AM

G'day Adam, Welcome to our community.
Whatever the folk before me say, I'll say the opposite. If Eddie likes the sunburst then I like the other one. No, I'm not being smart, and Eddie won't condemn me for opposing his choice. He likes sunburst and I like solid colours. I want you to understand that the choice of guitar is yours and yours alone. No-one is ever going to criticize you for buying something. If you spend just a few dollars and get a starter guitar, then that's OK. When the time comes to move on you'll get a better one. If you spend heaps of money ... well maybe we don't want you to spend a lot at this stage. As Roland says, at this point in time you can't be expected to know all about the different types of guitar, so being a little bit conservative would be the best advice. Later on when you can play a bit and you can feel the music, you'll be leaning towards a particular guitar and you won't be asking our advice! My opinion is that you should get a usable guitar from a shop who can set it up so you'll be able to play. For your part you have to love it, love the look of it, love the feel of it in your hands. It doesn't matter what name is on the headstock or how much it costs. For their part, the shop should set it up so it's easy to play. They're professionals, they know what's required. For our part, we don't care what guitar you have or how much it costs, just that you are going to learn to play and we're going to help you if we can. So buy something you can enjoy and keep in touch.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#8 OFFLINE   AdamSBennett

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 25-March 12

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

I've decided to go with the Stratocaster. It seems, in terms of quality, they're both on the same level but I like the solid blue of the Stratocaster more. The order is in and now I'm just waiting for it to get here.

I appreciate all the feedback you guys have given! Its good to have an online community that's willing to help and give advice to beginners. I'm excited to get started and I'll keep you guys posted on my progress!

Thanks again!

#9 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:36 AM

I bet you cant wait for it to arrive.When it comes let us know what you think of it.

#10 ONLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,230 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

Adam,

Let us know when it arrives. Good choice!

Mike

#11 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,872 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

Cool, hope it arrives soon Adam.
You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users