- - - - -

New guy....

9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jonathan Holliman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 25-March 12

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

I just bought a guitar yesterday and was looking around online for information when I ran into this site. I had taken a few classes back in college but that was nearly 10 years ago and feel like I am pretty much starting from scratch trying to learn again so any tips or suggestions would be pretty cool.

#2 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,018 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

Welcome to the forum.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#3 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

Jonathan,

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place. Check out some of the links at the top of the page to get you started.

Mike

#4 OFFLINE   si16

• Moderators

• 6,096 posts
  • Joined 07-November 05

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

Hi there Jonathan and welcome.

#5 OFFLINE   Jonathan Holliman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 25-March 12

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome

#6 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

Welcome to the forum
Brand new to playing the guitar?...read this first. - Guitar For Beginners & Beyond Forum

#7 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,877 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

Hi Jonathan, welcome to the forum.
You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#8 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:19 AM

G'day Jonathan, Welcome to our community.
Guitar is great to learn and play, the problems you face have already been faced by most of us, so don't be shy. If you need to get advice, then don't be afraid to ask. We're also interested to hear about your progress, so keep in touch.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#9 OFFLINE   Jonathan Holliman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 25-March 12

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

Well so far my progress isn't much, I learned tab and a couple of chords. I found a DVD by Mark John Sternal that was pretty easy to follow, the guy seemed like a pretty good teacher so I bought most of his DVDs.

The DVDs I have:
1.Guitar DVD #1 Beginner Basics and Beyond - it was recommended to me at Guitar Center and I was very pleased because it seemed to follow a nice steady pace that is easy to follow and build on.
2.Easy Guitar Theory
3.Total Scales, Techniques, and Applications (comes with a book as well)
4.Easy Guitar Tricks
5.Easy Blues Guitar
6.Led Zeppelin Phrase by Phrase
7.Creedence Clearwater Revival (Hal Leonard DVD)
8.Guitar Method in the style of Rage Against the Machine with Curt Mitchell

I plan on watching them in that order as I progress from DVD moving from 1 to the next after I feel like I have mastered the techniques/lessons.

I also bought a tab book with about 60 songs in it and a small chord encyclopedia.

I feel like it will take me a quite awhile to go through all of that but if there are some other DVDs/Books some of you feel like are must reads/watch I am always open to suggestions.

#10 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

Wow, you certainly have a collection there.

Here's something to keep in mind as you go. Learning guitar should be fun. But some of that stuff that gets dished up to beginners isn't fun, it's just plain difficult. Make sure you learn things that are fun and rewarding to play at the same time as you're learning the hard stuff. Just two or three chords will give you thousands of songs to strum along to, and while you're doing that you can also be learning your scales and the theory you need to play more involved music. I'm sure many beginners give up because they concentrate on learning as many chords and scales as they can find, but never get to actually play any songs. So don't be mean to yourself ... enjoy the fun of guitar right from the start and I'm sure you'll be around here for years to come.
Keep in touch.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users