- - - - -

Metranome Play

2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   codazoda

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Joined 20-March 12

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

I'm trying to figure out how to play to the Metronome (I have no rhythm). I'm trying to play "Day Tripper" by The Beatles. This song seems to have notes played in odd places. I can slow down the main riff, but I don't see how the beats on the metronome fit.

I pulled it into a program called TuxGuitar to work out the exact notes and make sure it sounded right (web guitar tabs suck, so I used this to tweak it until I thought it was right). I added a beat track into the app so I could try to hear what the Metronome was supposed to sound like. They just don't seem to match up, even though I used the same program. Am I doing this wrong? Is this a hard song because they don't play with the beats?

Here's what the first measure looks like in TuxGuitar. I hope this tiny bit doesn't break any copyright laws. The second part is what I thought the metronome beats might look like (it's a steel guitar in the midi just to give you an idea).

Posted Image

Here's the midi file I generated. Is the beat completely wrong? It sure sounds wrong to me.

http://dl.dropbox.co.../DTRiffBeat.mid

I've been reading that I need to play along with a metronome, but I'm not syncing with it. Maybe I should just play scales to the metronome or something, but that's not much fun.

Thanks,
Joel

#2 OFFLINE   OldG

• Active Members
  • 761 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:53 AM

That generated files timing is fine, try listening to the original to compare. I would make the first note an E to mirror the riff though..

If you divide those for beats into four again, you'll find that the riff will fit a treat. Most rock and pop is playing around syncopated patterns of four....
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; None but ourselves can free our minds'.
Robert Nesta Marley 1945- 1981

#3 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:52 AM

The metronome might be easier to hear if it sounds like a simple click or tap rather than the guitar-like sound it has at present. If you can't hear the music distinct from the beat you might like to practise beating time to the tune by clapping or tapping on the table. Train your ears to hear both the music and the beat as individual sounds. Some folk tap their feet. Do whatever works for you.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users