learn your fretboard

25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,245 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

Hi, DV8R, I'm Kirk, the author of PlaneTalk.

I don't know much about the other books you mention, nothing in fact, but I know everything about PlaneTalk. It teaches a mindset, more than anything else, a way of thinking about music and a way of 'seeing' the fretboard as a unit. Yes, you will learn about barre chords, but that's just a tiny aspect of the full lesson. I'm not sure what stage you are at, but I wrote it more for those who have reached a level of competency and are now stuck there. The way music imposes itself on a guitar fretboard has to be one of the most confusing puzzles of all ... PlaneTalk will show you a very simple way of tracking it all. With tons of practice, of course. What it doesn't get into is specific techniques like strumming, bending, hammer ons, etc., it's strictly a fretboard navigation and mindset lesson.

If you have any more questions, ask away, but read the testimonials. They say a lot about the lesson.

#22 OFFLINE   paulg1630

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Joined 17-November 11

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

well ive got some of these stickers on my guitar.Not sure how long it will take me to ingrain the notes into my memory but ive already found myself playing all over the fretboard and have created some interesting sounds with them on surely that cant be bad even if i am cheating i can sound like jimi hendrix now

#23 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,245 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

View Postpaulg1630, on 30 March 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

well ive got some of these stickers on my guitar.Not sure how long it will take me to ingrain the notes into my memory but ive already found myself playing all over the fretboard and have created some interesting sounds with them on surely that cant be bad even if i am cheating i can sound like jimi hendrix now

If you're having fun and making good sounds, then, no, it can't be bad.

#24 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

It teaches you the underpinning of how notes on a guitar works
learning the notes is just a side effect of studying the material
Not only knowing all the notes but their context in chords is one of it's strengths. After plane talk you don't need chord books You can just work out the chords on your own on the neck anywhere in any inversion.. You can look at an A for instance and know what interval it is and how it fits into a chord you want to play whether it be a sus2 or a minor 9th etc.
There is a place on this forum where you can read testimonials about this. last music book you would ever have to buy and it has it's own forum,

#25 OFFLINE   DV8R

• Active Members
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 03-May 11

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:57 AM

View Postmset3, on 27 March 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

I read the BEAD Method of Fretboard Mastery yesterday evening. Both books take a similar path in their explanation covering scales, chords, arpeggios, modes, etc. Since I am more familiar with the CAGED system, Barrett Tagliarino's book made more sense to me. The BEAD Method incorporates several of its own forms, however Dietz does mention the CAGED system in his book. If you are looking for a quick and easy way to identify the notes on the fretboard and how they relate to the Circle of Fifths, the initial chapters of the BEAD Method will serve you well.

I also agree with althumbs, PlaneTalk will allow you to see the fretboard as a whole and put it all together for you.

Mike

Would you recommend both courses? Do they work with each other? I got the BEAD method but am still considering PlaneTalk. Would you say one or the other or both at once are useful? I need a response asap so anyone feel free to respond! Thanks.
Equipment: Ibanez RG321MH Blackberry Sunburst with Peavey Vypyr 15

#26 OFFLINE   DV8R

• Active Members
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 03-May 11

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

Too late, forget the last post. I ordered them. :) Not sure if they overlap or what and which to start with, probably Plane Talk.
Equipment: Ibanez RG321MH Blackberry Sunburst with Peavey Vypyr 15

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users