- - - - -

Is Burswood a good name in Guitars?

19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   carver

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 20-March 12

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

My wife and I are looking a smaller size acoustic guitar to begin with. (We are both very senior citizens with small hands and novices) We saw an ad where a woman is selling a used guitar but the ad did not give any details. We asked by email what size it is and what brand? She said she did not really know whether it was 3/4 size or not. So we asked her to measure the width of the neck. She replied, "The neck is 1.75 inches across. the brand of the guitar is 'Burswood' a friend of mine got it for me from europe and i just dont have time for it anymore." We will go to the woman's home to try the guitar before buying it, However, even before going to see it, we would like to learn whether a 1.75 inch neck or fretboard identifies this as 3/4 size Guitar? And, is "Burswood" a good brand of guitar?

#2 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,019 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

The 1.75 just refers to the width of the neck at the nut and has nothing to do with the size of the guitar. The Burswood is an inexpensive guitar.
Usually from 50.00 to 100.00 or less new. Not really a good brand. You will find many on ebay.

There are guitars with smaller neck width of 1 9/16.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#3 OFFLINE   carver

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 20-March 12

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

Thank you for that information on the Burswood. I guess that means we go on looking. Thanks for your help.

#4 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,019 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:47 PM

Carver,
You are welcome. Are you looking for a 3/4 size guitar? Yamaha is a good name and low price.

http://www.google.co...CMAU#ps-sellers
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#5 OFFLINE   carver

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 20-March 12

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:04 AM

Thank you again. Someone loaned my wife a beautiful guitar to learn with. It is very nice, but it too big for her small hands. We live in a small town with just two guitar stores. We have not visited either one yet, but by phone learned that they each have a new "student" guitar for less than a hundred dollars and the next 3/4 size is a "Baby Johnson" for $299 in one and something for $399 in the other. Neither of those sounds interesting and they do not have any used ones. We just found this forum. Its articles ave been most helpful.

After browsing online for 3/4 size, I was beginning to think a Yahama might be one of the good ones to try when we saw the ad that turned out to be the Burswood. Now that it is out of the way we are faced with the question of how could we find one that we could try before buying. We cannot do that online. Does it make sense to say that under the circumstances, if we get a good, solid brand such as a Yamaha it would be safe to order online? We guess that whatever the brand, it would be better to get something above the basic model and might do better buying a used one than a new one. Something I read made the Yamaha FG 700s sound good so I was starting to look for one of them when your second message arrived. Given all of that, what would you advise?

#6 OFFLINE   carver

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 20-March 12

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hi Eddiez152,

This is a contiunation of my response that is immdeiately above thjis post. You included a link to a Yamaha CGS 103A 3/4. Here is how that model is described on that link;
"Yamaha CGS103A 3/4 Scale Classical GuitarThe shape and feel of this 3/4 sized guitar makes it appropriate for most beginning students in elementary school, up to about 6th grade. The shape and feel of this 3/4 sized guitar makes it appropriate for most beginning students in elementary school, up to about 6th grade."

THe fact that thius model is described as "appropriate for most beginning students in elementary school, up to about 6th grade" is cause for concern. Are you able to recommend a Yamaha or other substantilal brand) in that price range that is a bit more than a student model?. Or am I misunderstanding that decription?

#7 OFFLINE   carver

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 20-March 12

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

Just to keep adding to my question, two things have happened; We went to the local store that has the Baby Johnson.. The size was very good for my [petite wife and it sounded good. The salesperson then had her try the Baby Johnson with a solid mahogany top, and it sounded even better. That reinforced the notion of trying before you buy. In the meantime I had sent a question about 3/4 Yamaha guitars to to a large online guitar stores. They said that 3/4 Yamahas were good, but did not have a solid top. .That left me confused because I thought that the major reason for thinking about Yamahas was its good constrution and solid tops. .Since we just learned that there was a difference between the sound made by a Baby Johnson with a solid spruce top and one with a solid mahogany top. it seems safe to suspect that there would be a difference in the sound of a Yamaha with a solid top and one with a laminate top. Since we cannot go anywhere near here and try any Yamahas, I really do not know what to do except breakdown and get the Baby Johnson even though it costs more than I wanted to spend. I would appreciate any alternatives that you might be able to suggest.

#8 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,019 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

carver,

By all means your first preference should be a solid top guitar. I did not look at the specs for the Yamaha because I thought you may be wanting to keep the price low. Do not be afraid of the laminate top Yamaha though because they are good beginner guitars.
Try before you buy is always the best solution. If you feel comfortable about the Johnson and all its attributes then by all means go for it.
I am gonna have a look at it on line and see what its all about.
eddie

#9 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,019 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:28 PM

This is the only student guitar I found so far By Johnson

http://www.johnsongt...html#jg100.html

#10 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,019 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

Thought it would be interesting to listen to.

#11 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

G'day Carver, Welcome to our community. I hope you and your wife become regular members as indeed I have become.
If I was looking for a new guitar I'd be looking for a solid top. But my collection is very satisfying and any new one would be icing on the cake.
The guitar I play most has a laminated top. I use it daily, take it to my lessons, take it on holidays. It fits my hands, and to my old ears it sounds good. Side by side with most of my others, it doesn't have the deep rich tones of the more expensive ones, but by itself it plays well. My point here is that size and fit should be your most important concerns now. The brand is immaterial, since blindfolded, no-one would know what you're playing anyway. The variations in tone will never prevent you from learning to play or enjoying the music. Sometime in the future you may need to buy a better guitar, but at present the most important thing is finding one that feels good in your hands, one that you don't have to fight with, one that's not too heavy.
Remember that people learning to play piano don't need to buy a Steinway, there are other less expensive ones that will do the job just as well.
All the advice you get here will be given genuinely in the hope that you can get the most enjoyment out of your music, so keep in touch.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#12 OFFLINE   paulg1630

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Joined 17-November 11

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

hi i found these while browsing amazon they are luna guitars mostly 3/4 size people have given them a good review on amazon and they are endorsed by an artist.

http://www.amazon.co...2359701&sr=8-10

.I think also adam black make good guitars at an affordable price and even some washburns are fairly cheap you cant go wrong with them they are on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item460203a24c

http://www.ebay.co.u...am+black+guitar

forgot to mention hohner i have one of those not to expensive either.Other brands which spring to mind are takamine,crafter and ovation all good.

#13 OFFLINE   carver

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 20-March 12

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Hi,

I thank all of you for your advice and suggestions, and that very useful video that you sent eddiez152. My head is beginning to spin and my main problem still seems to be the inability to actually try any of the guitars that you have suggested. I guess there is no magical way around it, if we absolutely should try a guitar before buying it, then we might as well plan to get the Baby Taylor with a mahogany top. That looks, feels and sounds sounds good. The only question might be is if we could find a better price somewhere online or a good used one. Does that make sense?

#14 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,019 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

carver,

Karcey has some good points too. He also can appreciate good wood. But size is the most important thing. I have a baby Taylor and its very nice but I don't have to play it. It was purchased for Maggie who is a small girl and small hands. But it fits her great and thats all that counts.
The reason I posted the YouTube video was because so many folks find themselves asking the same questions. Sometimes text just does not move us and videos bring out things we don't think of writing.
There is nothing easy about buying any guitar whether a beginner or seasoned player. As a beginner we have no idea if we are even gonna stick with playing or the investment. If the guitar is setup right easy to play and sounds decent then that is your start. Later, we all upgrade.

Lets see if I can put that into perspective.

1st guitar. - Classical 80.00 - 1972
2nd guitar - 12 string 200.00 - 6 months later
3rd guitar - 2nd 12 string 400.00 - 1973
4th guitar - 6 string classical 900.00 - 2005
5th guitar - 6 string Taylor 2750.00 - 2006

I'll stop there. It took 32 years to make my first serious investment and that only happened because I joined this site and the enthusiasm played a major role in the upgrade. And the playability and its features were realized in the grip of my hands.

So good luck with your quest and trust that we have all been there.

eddie

#15 OFFLINE   carver

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 20-March 12

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

A Progress Report

As I mentioned earlier, thanks to your good advice, we knew we wanted to actually try using a guitar before we bought it. Yet it was hard to do that because of the limuted choices in our small town. So we decided to get the best deal we could on a Baby Taylor BT2 because we had been able to try one of those t one of our two local guitar shops and my wife fell in love with it, and it fits her petite body and fingers very well. I knew that it was a good quality and sounded good so I wanted to get one for her even though the price was more than I had hoped to spend. I browsed the internet to find a good deal, but was disappointed to see that almost all new BT2's were listed for the same price when shipping and handling was added. So I went back to the guitar store and told them that my wife fell in love with the BT2 and I wanted to get her one, but was hung up on the price and was browsing the internet for a better price. Instead of asking me the price I had found, he said, Let's see what is on the internet." He went to Google and the first thing he saw was a used BT2 for $199. I told him tat was the price range I had in mind. After reviewing some of the pitfalls of buying a used guitar from the internet, he said, "I cannot reduce this new guitar's price $100, but I can take off $50. Just like that! No Haggling, I was thrilled. So we got a new BT2 and a great new Taylor case for $249. My wife was thriled when I got home. So we are both happy and feel comfortable that she is going to start off on a good quality guitar that is just right for her.

That video on how to choose an acoustic guitar that eddiez152 sent is interesting and helpful. Is there a video like focused on "getting starte with your new guitar?"

#16 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,019 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

Well congrats on your new acquisition and I hope she will enjoy it for a long, long time. Three chords will get her through many, many songs. I am glad the video was of some help too.

#17 OFFLINE   carver

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 20-March 12

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

Eddie,

Thank you. I am musically-challenged. Which three cords are they?

#18 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,019 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:32 AM

Check these out. And please notice on the right you will see a transpose block. Go up or down until you find what works for you until you learn more chords.

http://www.the-joy-o...chordsongs.html

#19 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:30 AM

View Postcarver, on 23 March 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

A Progress Report
and my wife fell in love with it, and it fits her petite body and fingers very well.............. So we are both happy and feel comfortable that she is going to start off on a good quality guitar that is just right for her.
These are the words we love to hear. Obviously now you have the best start for your musical journey.
Congratulations on making such good decisions.
We'll be interested to see how you both progress, so keep in touch.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#20 OFFLINE   carver

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 20-March 12

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:56 AM

Eddie and Karcy,

Thank you very much for your advice and encouragement. Both are very much appreciated. To set the record straight,
the quitar is for my wife. I am not only tone-deaf, I now only hear about 40% of normal conversations even with
a hearing aid, but my wife is one of those people who can pich up a guitar and after playing around a bit can pick
out a tune that even I can recognize. So I assume that she will be a good studen and playing soon.

Eddie, thank you for the link to "The Joy of Music." That is a fantastic web site. I did not see a "Transpose block"
and am not sure what that is, but that site is packed with excellent, well-written information. I am sure that ir will
be very useful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users