- - - - -

Proper form for playing chords?

9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hankmoody

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 22-February 12

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

Its me again. Still having a heck of a time trying to play chords. i don't know if it is my fingers or coordination. I have been watching you tube videos of guitar playing. Although everyone says to not put your finger on the frets, stay behind them, but I see a lot of people doing it. If I do it on my guitar it pretty much kills the sound. Any thoughts on this? I do have a tuner and am reasonably in tune if that matters. TIA, Hank

#2 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,002 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:19 AM

Hank,

Its OK to ask. But the right place is behind the fret.

Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#3 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,002 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:20 AM

If you got any question on this just shoot away.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#4 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,002 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:24 AM

Checkout Steve's lessons here on the site.

http://www.guitarfor...defind-it-here/

#5 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,327 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

Hank,

You answered your own question. If you put your finger on the fret it kills the sound. The correct way is to put your finger directly behind the fret. Keep at it and it will soon all come together.

Mike

#6 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,002 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

Here is a condition that can really mess-up a beginner. Jumbo frets and a thin set of strings. One thing i might mention, when you look at pictures is still is hard to see at times where the fingers are. Sometimes it appears that they are on the fret, but I can assure you that they are not.

http://www.fretjam.c...ay-easiest.html

#7 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,002 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

Hank any chance of you getting some pictures done while your holding the guitar and fretting a chord?

#8 OFFLINE   hankmoody

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 22-February 12

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I have not been online, just to darn busy!! I think my biggest problem (guitar wise anyway) is that I i don't get time to practice so my fingers are not getting the callouses needed for holding the strings down. When I get done I have a 1/4" indent in my finger tips. I know I am trying to strangle it but for now it is the only way I can press them down. I did file my nails down to the second knuckle and that helped some. I am actually able to play a chord sporadically. Thanks again, I will be back for more edumacation! Hank

#9 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,002 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:38 AM

Hank,
Got an idea. Do you have a good tuner? If so, here is what I'd like to see you try.

1. Tune the guitar normal at each string. If all is well and all strings are in tune open. Go to next step.
2. Make a chord, lets start with the (G). While holding the chord position look at your tuner.
a. Pluck 6th string and see what the tuner shows. You have a finger on that string. The E became a G
b. Pluck 5th string and see what the tuner shows. You have a finger on that string. The A became a B
c. Pluck 4th string and see what the tuner shows. You do not have a finger there. D
d. Pluck 3rd string and see what the tuner shows. You do not have a finger there. G
e. Pluck 2nd string and see what the tuner shows. You do not have a finger there. B
f. Pluck 1st string and see what the tuner shows. You have a finger on that string. The E became a G

What I am trying to show here, is when the strings are in tune open, is each one that is depressed in its proper tune. Now of course this will work only with a chromatic tuner that can show all notes being played.

If you do not have one, then here is a link to a free one on line. All you need is a input mic of any kind so it can detect a input tone.
It will give you a reference for each note on the neck. Flat b- open- Sharp #
If you strum a chord of any kind you can check the feed back of each string.

http://www.tunerr.com/

#10 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,002 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:52 AM

Also while you are depressing each string, check and see what the tuner shows. If strings go sharp or to the correct note within reason.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users