OldManGuitarNewbie

How to decipher Takamine's model letter codes?

I recently went on a hunt to find a guitar that had a neck similar to my Takamine EF340SCGN. Turns out that's not that easy to do......for whatever reason I find playing this guitar the easiest and most comfortable for me. I've tried many other Taks, Martins, Taylors and not found what I wanted until recently (below).

I know the "S" in the Tak model indicates "solid wood", but I'm not sure that means the entire guitar, or just the top. I suspect the former. The "EF" I think means an acoustic-electric in the "F" type guitar, as opposed to an EG which would be an electric in the "G" type guitar. But the other numbers and letters are a mystery to me.

I tried Takamine's home page, but while there is a good description of many guitars there, I was never able to determine what it is about the EF340SCGN that makes its neck so great for me. That model doesn't have the detailed specs that other guitar do for some reason, and none talk about neck profile. I know it's much more involved that just the nut width, it must have something to do with the neck profile around the nut to fret 5 or so. I don't use frets much below that.....I have not mastered barre chords, and not sure I ever will. Old hands y'know.

Any ideas what those letters mean?

BTW, I tried a bunch of guitars that would play as well, for me, as the Takamine EF340SCGN...even bought a 10 year old Taylor 312ce....and returned it two days later. After playing it and the Tak, it was apparent the Taylor didn't work for me. I am talking only what I call playability.....not the sound. So I returned and swapped the Taylor for a Martin DCPA4....I can play it as comfortably as the Tak, so I am a happy camper! That's how I judge a guitar; how it works for ME. The sound is really secondary up to a limit. I have really not noticed too much difference in sound with guitar costing over $400 or so.

eddiez152    129

Why not contact the manufacture and see if they can give you the details in the neck.

Taper, nut, and curve detail and shape of the neck. Ask about fret board radius.

Why not contact the manufacture and see if they can give you the details in the neck.

Taper, nut, and curve detail and shape of the neck. Ask about fret board radius.

Why not? Well, I'm lazy for one! :yawn: And I hate to be put on phone hold.

Besides, I often get more in answers here than I even thought to ask.....your post is like that. What is "fret board radius"?

Have you noticed the same thing, that some guitars just seem "natural" in your hands and others not so much? I suppose at my beginner-level that those sorts of things are more important to me than solid woods, etc, the advantages of which are sometimes lost on me.

One thing I don't think I mentioned in my earlier post: The Taylor 343 12 string's "playability" felt better to me than that of the Taylor 312. Odd, what that's what worked for me.

starsailor    20

Found this OMGN, the neck's an asymmetrical C-shape with an ergonomic contour. here's some more info on what Takamine do.

http://www.takamine.com/ebook/2012_Catalog/files/assets/seo/page48.html

And a bit more of a detailed description of the guitar,

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/takamine-ef340scgn-electro-acoustic-guitar--70712

On the letters and numbers, apparently E is acoustic electric, F the series, 340 the line (?) S solid, C cutaway and the letters at the end usually signify the colour of the guitar I think. Hope this helps a bit.

All The Best

Chris

Found this OMGN, the neck's an asymmetrical C-shape with an ergonomic contour. here's some more info on what Takamine do.

http://www.takamine....seo/page48.html

And a bit more of a detailed description of the guitar,

http://www.dv247.com...c-guitar--70712

On the letters and numbers, apparently E is acoustic electric, F the series, 340 the line (?) S solid, C cutaway and the letters at the end usually signify the colour of the guitar I think. Hope this helps a bit.

All The Best

Chris

Thanks Chris, I appreciate those links. Now if I could just figure out if the EF340SCGN has a neck that's different from their other guitars....like the EF360SC for instance, which did not feel as good to me as my guitar. I get the "GN" has something to do with the "antique" finish on my guitar, but who knows.