OldManGuitarNewbie

D'Addario EXP26 compared to MSP7100 for Martin?

I have a Takamine EF340SSCGN. Takamine recommends D'Addario EXP16 light gauge for their 6 string guitars. However, I have been using D'addario EXP26 Light PB COATED strings as I think they last a little longer but are otherwise identical to the Tak recommended EXP16 strings. I pay about $36 for a 3 pack of them. I change strings probably every 2-3 month as I have three guitars so each one is not used too much.

I recently bought a Martin DCPA4 guitar. Martin recomends MSP7100 light PB strings for it. They are a bit more expensive, but they (accoring to Martin) are a little warmer and increase the Marin "punch" with the light strings. Probably hype, but the Martin does sound nice....but so does the Tak. I could get a Martin MSP7100 3-pack for $40.

Anyway, does anyone have similar concerns with two somewhat different guitars? I know I can just slap a set of D'Adarrios on the Martin when I next change strings, but I have to admit -I- could probably not tell the difference! I'm hoping someone here with more experience and a better ear can provide some insight. I don't mind having two sets of strings in the house for the two guitars, but wonder if I'm just unceccesarily comlicating my life. <g>

mset3    158

OldMan,

I think guitar strings are in the ears of the beholder. When I bought my Taylor guitar they recommended Elixir® Strings. I just didn't like them so I changed them out to D’Addario EXP strings. Players will disagree with me, but to my ears they just sound better.

Mike

OldMan,

I think guitar strings are in the ears of the beholder. When I bought my Taylor guitar they recommended Elixir® Strings. I just didn't like them so I changed them out to D’Addario EXP strings. Players will disagree with me, but to my ears they just sound better.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I use the EXP 26 on at least one guitar and I like them also.

gasbag    54

One more vote for EXP 26. I use them on all my guitars except one. I tried Martins, silkwound and otherwise, Elixirs, and some others.

I always came back to EXP 26's. I really like their sound, which of course is just personal taste.

The only other strings I use is light gauge D'Addario Flat Tops on one of my guitars. I have a few songs

where I slide my fingers a lot and they reduce string squeak and sound very similar.

One more vote for EXP 26. I use them on all my guitars except one. I tried Martins, silkwound and otherwise, Elixirs, and some others.

I always came back to EXP 26's. I really like their sound, which of course is just personal taste.

The only other strings I use is light gauge D'Addario Flat Tops on one of my guitars. I have a few songs

where I slide my fingers a lot and they reduce string squeak and sound very similar.

I am debating getting the Martin strings for the Martin guitar. I probably could not tell the difference between the light Martins or the D'Addarios (EXP26) I have already. I think I have 3 sets of the latter, so probably will replace the Martin strings on the Martin guitar when it's time.

I am debating getting the Martin strings for the Martin guitar. I probably could not tell the difference between the light Martins or the D'Addarios (EXP26) I have already. I think I have 3 sets of the latter, so probably will replace the Martin strings on the Martin guitar when it's time.