JessThrasher

Do you have perfect pitch?

I don't need to take the test to know I'd score zero, especially when they don't give you feedback and tell you that you're wrong and give you the answer.

OK, I did try 4 questions and then knew I was wasting my time because I was randomly guessing.

I don't need perfect pitch. I intentionally play in between the notes.

Someone like me having perfect pitch would be like a walrus having an operatic voice.

It just wouldn't be right.

I got 4 on the relative pitch test and 5 on the perfect pitch test :walkman:

Better than i thought but then again like any multiple choice test a chimp would get a few correct.I would have probably got a similar score if i tried it without any volume.

Well done though Jess your blessed :claping: Can i ask does modesty also run in your family? lol

• Like 1

Nope, but I can still play the instruments and even sing a little and getting too old to care. And like karcey , got a great tuner.

Now as to the tuner, I noticed that instruments cannot keep perfect pitch at anytime for any given time period.

No but I always make sure my hair is Immaculate distracts people from tonal inadequacy.

That doesn't bode well for those wihout hair........................ :tongue:

Arguments against perfect pitch.

I for got to mention one other person that may very well have perfect pitch. Kirk, if in doubt, try playing something, and see if he don't catch you in a mess up.

Hey eddie.........that was very interesting.

Thanks for posting that.

I believe it explained a problem or two that has been bugging me with tuning

Gasbag,

Your are welcome. The perfect pitch issues and intonation have been studied for years. Here is another answer for those that have tried to win the battle.

Your eye are fine but there is something crooked going on here.

A few years ago I considered having the Buzz Feiten system put on my Strat. The guy that does them in Cincinnati warned me, I would hear a difference in my guitar and I would be very pleased with it. However, I would then also hear the difference and out of tune guitars of others I was with. Which he said can be very aggravating.

Something to think about. How many famous players have the True Temperment system or Buzz Feiten system on their guitars? Clapton? No. Santana, No. Paul Gilbert, no. On and on.

Also, listen again to the piece in the video of Emil Ernebro that Eddie posted. Can you hear if the notes are "perfect" ? That fast and do you really think, unless the guitar was WAAAaay out of tune, would you have heard the difference, REally!?

The guy in Cincinnati essentially convinced me to NOT get it done, unless I was doing a lot of solo work (I'm not) or studio work (I'm not) or a perfectionist with perfect pitch (needless to say......)

So. yeh, it seems like it would be something everybody would want...if we all had perfect pitch. But, not many of us do.

So, I could understand someone with perfect pitch, Like Jess, getting it and probably appreciate the difference.

(side note..At my age, having to wear no-line bifocals, if I had a guitar with frets like the True Tempermant system, It would probably make me dizzzy looking at the neck and think something was wrong with my glasses!! HA!!)

A few years ago I considered having the Buzz Feiten system put on my Strat. The guy that does them in Cincinnati warned me, I would hear a difference in my guitar and I would be very pleased with it. However, I would then also hear the difference and out of tune guitars of others I was with. Which he said can be very aggravating.

Something to think about. How many famous players have the True Temperment system or Buzz Feiten system on their guitars? Clapton? No. Santana, No. Paul Gilbert, no. On and on.

Also, listen again to the piece in the video of Emil Ernebro that Eddie posted. Can you hear if the notes are "perfect" ? That fast and do you really think, unless the guitar was WAAAaay out of tune, would you have heard the difference, REally!?

The guy in Cincinnati essentially convinced me to NOT get it done, unless I was doing a lot of solo work (I'm not) or studio work (I'm not) or a perfectionist with perfect pitch (needless to say......)

So. yeh, it seems like it would be something everybody would want...if we all had perfect pitch. But, not many of us do.

So, I could understand someone with perfect pitch, Like Jess, getting it and probably appreciate the difference.

(side note..At my age, having to wear no-line bifocals, if I had a guitar with frets like the True Tempermant system, It would probably make me dizzzy looking at the neck and think something was wrong with my glasses!! HA!!)

Andy,

Got some good points there. Although I do not think I have perfect pitch, I certainly can tell when a note does not sound right and that is annoying as you mentioned.