paulg1630

amp for gigs

paulg1630    9

All i have at the moment is a 20 w practice amp it wont be enough for gigs will it.Been looking on ebay for bigger amps found a 200w amp for 120 pounds brand new its called an ibiza thinking of buying one later since they r cheap is it worth taking a chance cant afford more expensive well known brands.

Stu74    35

I have come across ibiza amps before when i have been surfing the net.I like the idea of the amps that have a usb slot.Ideal for playing along to an mp3 backing track.I think the 200 watt amp has 2 guitar jack sockets so you can have 2 guitars through the 1 amp.

I am sorry i cant give you any advice on this or any similar size amps. like you i just use a small practice amp.All i can say is ibiza amps look like good value for money and maybe worth a closer look.Maybe try to find a shop that sells them so

you can try it out.

Andy S    9

According to your profile, you want to play Rock & metal music. What kind of gigs are you going to be doing? What size rooms? The Ibiza amp I saw says 200 watts, but it then says it peak power. Most amps are rated RMS, and this one says it's 100 watts rms, equivalent to 200 peak. It's also solid state. For some reason, SS amps never seem as loud as tube amps. If you're gonna do some decent size rooms and you want to do heavy rock and metal, I'd say go with a decent tube amp of at least 50 watts.

You may want to try to play one or two before you buy one. It's always a bummer to fork over your hard earned cash to find out what you just bought doesn't quite give you the sound you're after.

Another route would be to buy a 30 or 50 watt amp and get a good distortion pedal to give you the extra push you might need for leads, etc.

Again, it all depends on what type of music and what size the gigs are. If you are gonna do rock and metal, I would think this amp is NOT gonna cut it. Usually, if you can plug in an MP3 and hope it sounds good, the circuitry would be designed to give you a nice clean sound. Minimal natural distortion. Also, solid state distortion tends to be a bit harsh compared to the smoother, natural harmonic distortion from a tube amp.

Just some info I've picked up over the years from researching and working on amps. Hope it helps!

• Like 1

OldG    3

I wouldn't - cheap amps sound cheap.... As Andy suggests a smaller Valve amp will do fine.

I have an all valve 15watt Peavey that keeps up with a drummer, I'd gig it through a PA happily. 30 -50 valve watts will certainly get the neighbours complaing and your ears ringing if used at full throttle!

paulg1630    9

ok good advice i dont know much about amps only thinking will we be loud enough.However we have 2 20w line six amps which r pretty good may just use them then for gigs shouldnt splash the cash if i dont need to