scotty_b

Building a new pedal board

scotty_b    16

I sold off my Boss GT-8 and bought the Line 6 POD HD500. Much to my frustration the POD is about 10mm longer than the BOSS.

As my previous pedal board was packed so tightly anyway I finally conceded defeat and decided to build another ( I have spent too much time in the past week attempting to put the pedals and associated power supplies into my old case in every way possible).

Still a work in progress but hopefully I will be able to finish it off tomorrow.

The holes on the right hand side will have Neutric connectors; one for the guitar coming in and two to connect to the FX loop on my amp.

The big hole on the left will have a grommet fitted and a power lead and DMX cable will come out of that.

I had originally decided to wire a different plug to a power board and have that mounted in the side.... I decided that even though I feel competent with my soldering skills to do such a thing if something went wrong in a club I was playing in because of this I could be in a lot of trouble!

I'll probably finish it off with textured paint or a hammer tone finish. Not quite sure which at the moment but my initial desire to use Tolex proved to be an exercise in futility. Very hard to obtain in Australia and too expensive for me to have a few goes at getting it right!

I'll post some more pics later.

post-1877-0-25218000-1330166242.jpgpost-1877-0-08283000-1330166255.jpgpost-1877-0-14625700-1330166265.jpgpost-1877-0-41705400-1330166274.jpg

micky mac    14

thats a tidy board scotty for someone thats not into woodwork you done a good job nice straight cuts and angles.What do you think of the pod pedal board im looking at the PodXT Live i can get one second hand for 170 euros have you ever played it or do you think it would be overkill for a bedroom player.

scotty_b    16

Thanks

Hoping to screw and nail it together this morning. I bought some hammer tone paint last night so will try that and see how it goes!

PodXT live would be good for anyone as long as it gets used. Haven't personally played through one but a singer/guitarist I used to work for had one. Some good tones in there.

Overkill for a bedroom player would be a Marshall stack with two 4x12 cabinets...which I have seen!

If you do get the Pod have a look at Glenn Delaune's site. He has some quite good patches to download there.

micky mac    14

Thanks

Hoping to screw and nail it together this morning. I bought some hammer tone paint last night so will try that and see how it goes!

PodXT live would be good for anyone as long as it gets used. Haven't personally played through one but a singer/guitarist I used to work for had one. Some good tones in there.

Overkill for a bedroom player would be a Marshall stack with two 4x12 cabinets...which I have seen!

If you do get the Pod have a look at Glenn Delaune's site. He has some quite good patches to download there.

should look good when you finish it.

thanks for the reply i decided against the pod and bought a boss me-70 this morning i had one before and sold it and regreted it instantly so i figured since i know how it works i should stick with the boss.

scotty_b    16

I've painted the board. It's OK. I'll probably do some soldering tomorrow and try and finish it off.

The Boss will be good. I don't think the COSM modelling is as good as the Line 6 modelling but the effects are very good.

post-1877-0-77055200-1330430782.jpg

• Like 1

mset3    158

Scotty,

Painting it made all the difference. It looks like you made it out of MDF board. Is it pretty heavy? It looks like a winner!!

Mikw

micky mac    14

I've painted the board. It's OK. I'll probably do some soldering tomorrow and try and finish it off.

The Boss will be good. I don't think the COSM modelling is as good as the Line 6 modelling but the effects are very good.

looks good scotty what i would'nt give for it and the pedals. yeah i know the amp modelling not the best i bought it for the pedals and the looper single pedals are just to dear.

scotty_b    16

Scotty,

Painting it made all the difference. It looks like you made it out of MDF board. Is it pretty heavy? It looks like a winner!!

Mikw

Thanks

I used particle board. I have used MDF in the past for a smaller board I made and it just didn't last. It is reasonably heavy and I needed it to be. When I am busy with gigs I might be out 3-4 times per week with it. Haven't done a tour with a show for a long time but that is also possible of the right opportunity comes along.

scotty_b    16

Looking good Scotty. You gonna make a top or case for it so you can travel?

Yeah I'll make up a lid for it. At the moment I can get away with just putting the board in the back of the station wagon but I'll enclose it soon.

scotty_b    16

looks good scotty what i would'nt give for it and the pedals. yeah i know the amp modelling not the best i bought it for the pedals and the looper single pedals are just to dear.

I have heard the new COSM modelling is pretty good. Depends on how you use it...like anything else.

Single pedals can be pretty pricey!

I wish I had bought the flight case with my Pedaltrain Pro. The soft case is ok but it has to be laid flat, when you try to stand it on its side it just falls over and I'm not so sure it's doing much to protect the pedals on top. Not that it matters much anymore seeing as it's been months since I even turned it on. Can't get motivated to do anymore than just sit on the couch and play my acoustic. I think for the money I could've built one a bit nicer than what I ended up with. Still a good board overall