New Jazz Guitar Coming My Way...

11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,892 posts
  • Joined 14-November 05

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

Well, I did it. I bought myself an archtop guitar. She's a sweat little thing. Curly blonde. Seven strings. Solid hand-carved and tap tuned spruce top. Solid maple backs and sides. Wood binding.
I get it next week. She's on the petite side - 14" lower bout. Has a fixed humbucker at the neck position.

Now I have to go through my planetalk and extend it for that low B (or A). I've always wanted to learn walking bass lines so here's my chance.

-Doug

Attached Files

"we don't see things as they are, we see things as we are" - Anais Nin

#2 OFFLINE   nickcallear

• Active Members
  • 272 posts
  • Joined 09-December 09

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

Congrats Doug.
Another seven stringer in the forum. You'll probably put that B into better action than i do.
My guitar is not a thing. It is an extension of myself. It is who I am.
Current gear: Ibanez RGR321EX, Jackson DX7, Fender mustang 1 amp.

#3 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 667 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

wow real nice doug. enjoy
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. B.B. King

#4 OFFLINE   GotDeeBlues

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 2,797 posts
  • Joined 22-December 06

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

Well, not a big box jazzer, but very, very sweet, Doug. Nice buy. What will you play her through?
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
..Nietzsche

#5 OFFLINE   Doug

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,892 posts
  • Joined 14-November 05

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

thank guys.
I own a peavey classic 30 tube amp but I was just looking online at DI boxes and the like. I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff. Our house is pretty open concept so playing through an amp is not likely a good idea. Any recommendations for a small box with reverb and maybe a graphic equalizer and headphones and line out?

-Doug

#6 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,009 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

Gorgeous guitar ! Congrats on your new acquisition.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#7 OFFLINE   nickcallear

• Active Members
  • 272 posts
  • Joined 09-December 09

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:32 AM

View PostDoug, on 18 February 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

thank guys.
I own a peavey classic 30 tube amp but I was just looking online at DI boxes and the like. I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff. Our house is pretty open concept so playing through an amp is not likely a good idea. Any recommendations for a small box with reverb and maybe a graphic equalizer and headphones and line out?

-Doug

I recommend the fender mustang series amps.Seriously have a look into them there a sweet little amp loads of features and effects plus you can connect to your computer and edit to your harts consent.They have got all the features your after and more. I have the 20watt version and that pumps out more than enough.

But if your after a valve amp unfortunately i cant recommend anything.

Hope you come to a decision soon to go with that gem of a guitar you have coming.
My guitar is not a thing. It is an extension of myself. It is who I am.
Current gear: Ibanez RGR321EX, Jackson DX7, Fender mustang 1 amp.

#8 OFFLINE   GotDeeBlues

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 2,797 posts
  • Joined 22-December 06

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:00 AM

I have a Roland Cube 20X I use in small rooms with a Epi Dot,( Seymore Duncan Humbuckers) Aria FA71(Floating neck HB) and a Godin Kingpin new II(Set twin P-90's) and even run my Guild A/E through it. I live in a condo with thin walls and get no angry neighbors pounding on my door. The new XL add a few features. The overall Cube lineup has something for you. There are some nice small Voxes and Fender Mustangs have gotten some good reports from Jazzers. The ZT Lunchbox and Club amps deserve a look and the new Ibanez Whole tone were well received.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
..Nietzsche

#9 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,877 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

Congrats. Doug, nice guitar it's a beauty :yes:
You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#10 ONLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

Doug,

Very nice choice. It looks great!!

Mike

#11 OFFLINE   Doug

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,892 posts
  • Joined 14-November 05

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for the info, guys.
I put up a some stuff for sale to cover the cost and to stay balanced on the material acquisition side (I have to sell something to get something). And I just finished selling a microphone. Just two more mics and a classical guitar to sell and I should be good ;-).

#12 OFFLINE   GotDeeBlues

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 2,797 posts
  • Joined 22-December 06

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:51 AM

One thing on the amps I forgot to mention, is the Fender Mustang III had some noise issues when first released. Jazz forum posters were trying work arounds and Fender was aware of the problem and working on it. But just the lll for some reason, seemed to be software or firmware from what I read. But not every one experienced it, so some research would be a good thing, or contact Fender Customer Support, they are responsive.
..Nietzsche

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users