- - - - -

Capo V.s Tuning (Help)

5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Skylar_83_StulYurUsername

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 17-February 12

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

I love playing guitar, and mostly playing adele. For someone like you, its capo on 2nd fret, my guitar dosent play nicely and clear with my capo, im wondering if i can tune my guitar a whole step up, and what are the string names tuned up?

Help?

Btw
I am skylar
I never got lessons in my life,
Taught my self the full song of
Pink wish you were here, chords and all

My fav. Part is

Were just two lost souls, swimmin in a fish bowl,
Year after year...
It souns so awsome

Thanx peeps

skylar OWT!!

#2 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,009 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:05 AM

What kind of Capo are you using and what kind of guitar are you using it on ? Check and see the condition of the rubber. Important, the shape of the capo must match the neck. They make capo that are straight and curved.
Position on behind the frets is important too. Start with the above first.

Also check the intonation of your guitar with a good tuner. If the intonation is out on the standard tuning, it will only get worse as you go up the neck because you are pulling the strings down farther thus out of tune.

eddie
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#3 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,242 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:18 AM

Like Eddie says ... try all that first.

Tuning up a whole tone might pull the action up a bit and make it harder to play, also the tension will be hard on the finger tips.

#4 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 667 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:34 AM

as eddie says check the intonation i had an acoustic that i lowered the saddle and nut on and it played like a dream without the capo but alot of the songs i play need a capo and from the second fret on it was horribly out of tune.If i was you id take it to a shop and get it setup right.
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. B.B. King

#5 ONLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

Skylar,

Tuning your guitar up a whole step (F# - B - E - A - C# - F#) will put more tension on the neck and make it harder to play. Take your guitar to a music store and try different capos. They will also be able to tell you, if it needs to be set up correctly.

Mike

#6 OFFLINE   dbuck

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 29-February 12

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

Everyones right tunning up puts more tension on the neck. You can allways transpose the song if its not in your vocal range.
"Music is your own experience, your own thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn. They teach you there's a boundary line to music. But, man, there's no boundary line to art." - Charlie "YardBird" Parker
Get the help you need for your music......dailydent.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users