Attaching pedals to a board without Velcro!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:17 AM

If you are anything like me you have take great delight in attaching your ever-growing and ever-changing collection of pedals to a piece of wood. Guitarists are a funny lot!
I think my first attempt at making a pedal board was to use a metal shelf that was lying around at home with cheap Velcro from Woolies. The tubescreamer stayed in position reasonably well. The Crybaby Wah did not! The Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal I also used at the time didn't stay on the board for very long either.
But ever since then I have built and rebuilt pedal boards with some sort of weird obsession. I have never been particularly good with tools, but then again I have never really owned any tools of note. The kitchen table has often substituted for a work bench. One screwdriver has done the work of many.Screws have been recycled from other projects that have fallen into disrepair.
So, in short, some of my creations have not been particularly good!
And the dilemma of how to attach one's pedals to the board has become the bane of many guitarists and an otherwise happy existence simply serving society by rocking out.
But no more!
I have tried many variations on the Velcro concept. I have spent enough money on super-duper Velcro that could hold your head to the ceiling if you so desired to (finally) concede that the glue does not wish to hold some pedals down. That the glue is heavy and sticky and yuck when it decides to ooze over everything else on a prized pedal board. That it is time for a different approach!
Enter the bike chain links.
Instead of using Velcro I am now going to screw down my pedals. I don't really wish to move the pedals around on a whim, so ease of rearrangement is not an issue for me (but may be for others).
The poor lady at Engadine Bike Shop thought I was mad when I started discussing individual links from a chain with her. She had no concept of what a guitar pedal might be and was concerned I was going to screw the links into the guitar itself for some sort of decorative purpose. In the end she was kind enough to give me two lengths of chain that were in the workshop.
Attached File  chain-breaker.jpg   139.02K   0 downloads

A chain breaker borrowed from a friend allowed me to quickly break the chain into individual links. If you are interested in trying this for yourself I would recommend using one of these. It is possible to break the chain with a hammer and punch but I quickly tired of that. I also managed to bend a few of the links with blows from the hammer that Thor would have been proud of!
After a few minutes I had managed to assemble a reasonable amount of links; certainly more than needed for the job at hand.
Attached File  chain-links.jpg   108.9K   0 downloads

I then removed two screws from the bottom of my Hotcake Overdrive pedal, positioned one of the links over a hole and then replaced the screw.
This resulted in the following; tomorrow I shall finish all my pedals and then screw them straight onto an MDF board that is cut to go within the case. More to follow after I complete the next step.
Attached File  Hotcake-Pedal-2.jpg   207.08K   0 downloads

Attached File  Hotcake-Pedal-1.jpg   156.01K   0 downloads

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users