- - - - -

Guitar cable quality

15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

I use a very cheap and thin cable from my guitar to a roland micro cube amp.
Today in a guitar shop they were trying out guitars and i noticed the cable was very thick with good quality metal plugs on the end.
Would i notice any difference to the quality of sound produced through my little 2 watt amp if used a better cable?

#2 OFFLINE   gasbag

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 390 posts
  • Joined 31-January 08

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

My opinion would be no.
In my limited experience high quality expensive cables are used in recording production etc. where they need to get every little bit of signal to get the highest quality recording possible. In my area they call them "Monster Cables". The only thing monster about them is their price.
For guys like me it is wasted money. I wouldn't hear the difference at all. All my cables look like limp black wet noodles, all cost under $10 and serve me just fine.
I do pay attention to the quality of the plugs. Even in the less expensive category there are some variations that do make a big difference. Some fit, some don't very well and you get static and noise from them. I usually try them in a guitar at the store to check for a solid fit.

Just my 2 cents, when adjusted for inflation works out to about .9875 cents.
Blessed are the Flexible, for They shall not be bent out of shape.

#3 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

I know what you mean about bad fitting plugs.When i bought my 2nd hand electric guitar it came with an old cable and every time i moved or pulled the cable gently it made a static sort of noise like it wasnt getting a good connection.
Anyway the cheapy cable i bought off ebay seems to be fine.I just thought when i seen these more expensive cables in the shop i thought mine must be crap.
I am not a good guitarist and my guitar is just a cheap begginers guitar anyway.I think you are probably right i wouldnt notice the diffence.

#4 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

Monster Cable is a specific brand..I have used it before in my studio setup and it makes a big difference to the audio output.
Good quality guitar cables also make a difference. No need to pay $150 per metre for a cable but if you pay $20-$30 you may get something much better with a lifetime warranty against defects.

#5 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:33 AM

Maybe when i get my new guitar in May for my birthday i might get a better quality cable to go with it.Ah ha i know i will try and get them to give me it free with the guitar.After all if i pay about 400 for a guitar im sure they wont mind throwing in a 10 or 15 cable with the deal.

#6 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:41 AM

I think Scotty has a message here but he's not pushing it very hard. There is a difference.

If you want good quality sound then buy a quality guitar with reasonable pickups. But if you feed that quality to your amp through a rubbish cable you'll be lowering the quality back to cheap. I believe your gear should be good enough that the sound you hear, complete with the bad bits, is all your own work. If you have to wonder about the quality of any of your gear, then it's not good enough.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#7 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:10 AM

I have to admit i do like the sound of my guitar even though it is only a cheap beginers guitar.I think at the moment it is my playing that lets the side down.
I agree with you though there is no point in having good quality gear and using a crap cable.

#8 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,230 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

Stu74,

I'm using Monster cables right now and they seem good and sturdy. Gasbag is right about one thing, they have a monster price. My philosophy when buying anything whether it is a guitar, amps, cables, strings, etc. is to buy the best that I can afford. The more expensive cables cost more because they will have better ground shielding. Nothing worse than shaking a cable and hearing all the static or worse yet hearing a dreadful buzz. Buy the best you can afford and your equipment will serve you well.

Mike

#9 ONLINE   pHGTRSpider

• Active Members
  • 285 posts
  • Joined 08-October 08

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

No matter what anyone tells you, Copper is the best conductor and is the best wire for cables (leads) but oxidises too fast for guitar jacks. To minimise signal loss, only use the minimum length of cable required. i.e. V=IR and R is resistance which is directly proportional to the Voltage.

Resistance, wikipedia says this perfectly, "An object of uniform cross section has a resistance proportional to its resistivity and length and inversely proportional to its cross-sectional area. All materials show some resistance, except for superconductors, which have a resistance of zero."

Which also explains why monster cables work better, if they use a larger diameter copper wire inside. That's todays technical thought, now where's that guitar?!
Don't dream it, be it.
from the Rocky Horror Picture Show

#10 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:29 AM

I think it is also best to buy to a price level where you can hear the difference. No point in buying something because it is more expensive than something else and then discovering it sounds the same.
Some people hear differences in the most subtle of things and others can't tell the difference between one guitar and the next (sometimes one songs and the next!)

#11 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:35 AM

Exactly what im thinking.I could go out today and buy a better cable but i cant imagine my guitar is going to sound any better with it.I dont play at high volumes and i dont record myself yet so i think i will be ok for now with my cheapy cable.
What i will do is when i upgrade my guitar i will
also upgrade the cable.Thanks everyone for
your input.

#12 OFFLINE   Spellbound

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 22-January 12

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

If you're using a 2 watt amp, I don't believe a cable would make any difference in sound.

I would recommend a Roadhog cable. Mine works fantastic, I've banged it up a bit but it still works fantastically. It only cost somewhere around 15-20 dollars. It'll sound good through a 2 watt amp or a 100 watt amp. Although, if you upgrade your guitar/cable, I would upgrade your amp too. Buy a small Marshall or Fender.

#13 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

Wattage does not always indicate quality. Blackstar make a 1 watt amp that is fantastic. Sherwood Amps (boutique amp manufacturer in Australia) make a 2 watt amp that sells for $4000. Amazing tone!
A Roland Micro Cube amp would be comparable to a small Marshall or Fender amp of equivalent money in terms of output and tonal quality.

#14 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

The amp i use at the moment is a Roland micro cube.I love the little thing.It produces a good sound and is loud enough for me when im practicing in the house.I will eventually buy another larger/louder amp but that wont be for a while yet.

#15 ONLINE   pHGTRSpider

• Active Members
  • 285 posts
  • Joined 08-October 08

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

Hey Stu, I have a micro cube as well, great amp! I also have marshall and fender amps but the micro cube is just great in the TV room between ads. My boys let me know when the show comes back on, " Dad, stop it!". As for the lead thing, just use a short a lead as possible. cheers Spider
Don't dream it, be it.
from the Rocky Horror Picture Show

#16 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

Sounds similar to me.My son says he will cut my guitar strings if i dare to play through one of his favourite tv shows.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users