Where to put the multi-fx?

2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   boroboy41

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 14-May 09

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

I'm going to try some amps out tomorrow and I'm going to take my Line 6 Pocket POD Multi-FX with me just to play around with too. My question is if the amp has an FX loop should I connect the POD in there or keep it as a pre-processor on the guitar input.

i.e. option one
Guitar - Amp Input - FX loop SEND - POD - FX Loop RETURN

option 2
Guitar - POD - Amp Input

Any advice or thoughts please?

Cheers
Ali

#2 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

Hi there
If the POD has amp simulation on you really don't want to have that in the loop.
The typical effects chain will have gain based effects in the front then into modulation, delay and then reverb.
You may be better off just trying the amps 'dry' before working out how to use the POD with it. If you really want to use the POD take the guitar into it, then go from the POD to the FX return. This will bypass the pre amp section and take you straight to the power amp section and probably sound better.
All the best with it

#3 OFFLINE   boroboy41

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 14-May 09

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

Thanks Scotty

I didn't even realise you could just go straight into the power section like that, glad I asked now. The POD is filled with amp and cab simulations, I tend not to use the chorus, delay and flanger effects that much tbh

Just packing up my gear and heading off to the shops now. Will try the amps as they come then see if I can play around with my POD presets after.

Cheers
Ali

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users