Doug

Thinking of a 7-string - any thoughts?

Doug    12

I am entertaining the thought of buying an archtop guitar and have been looking at a seven string version. I remember talking to a fellow at an airport who was playing a jazz guitar while waiting to board - a benedetto in fact. He said he'd never go back to a 6 string.

Since I generally play finger style, I'm thinking it may be a good choice for me.

Does anyone have experience with 7 stings - how long did it take to get used to the extra string? Any advice?

thanks,

Doug

nickcallear    5

Do it.

I got one but i play a different style to finger style.It doesn't take all that long to get used to the low b string at all.

I had mine to play metal one as a lot of stuff i listen to uses 7s and some use 8s.It was jazz that started the 7 string off. I would recommend one all day and if you do you'll be bouncing around on that low b a lot.

Best thing to do is go to your local guitar shop and try a few out.

nickcallear    5

Doug That looks nice. I don't think you'll do wrong in buying one. I love mine the only the issue i got with it tho is i wish it had a slightly slimmer neck but other than that I'm so glad that i bought it. why not pop over and check out the www.sevenstring.org forum. I know most of the guys over there are metal heads but ive seen a few jazz guys over there.

carol m    64

Nice guitar Doug, everyone on this forum will always advise you to buy! Why are you choosing this one in particular? Reputation, looks, something else?

It's difficult to see from the pic, but does it have any sort of pickup? I thought all archtops had electrics on board, but I could be wrong - that did happen once, or so I'm told. :)

GotDeeBlues    3

Sweet, but can't identify it. Looks like a neck mounted floating humbucker. If it's solid top , it should be nice acoustically, too. I love big hollow bodied jazzers. Plenty of acoustic archies out there, Eastman, Godin, and Gretsch to name a few. If I had a couple grand sitting around idle, I'd like a vintage U.S. Epiphone, but may have to setttle on finding an old Stella, Kay or Harmony.

Doug    12

Hey,

The guitar is made in China by the same people (I believe) who make eastmans. It is designed by Matt Raines of Austin Texas. It is solid spruce top and solid maple sides and back. Unlike Eastmans, the guitar is made completely by hand and is tap tuned. The binding is all wood as well. It's a pretty reasonable price and comes is 7 string and 6 string versions and floating or mounted humbucker.

I haven't convinced myself yet although I've been considering one for quite a while. If I do buy it, I'll make a pact with myself to sell a bunch of other stuff.

It's a 15" lower bout but they do have 18" versions as well as really sweet looking 14" versions.

Another option I have is a local budding luthier who charges a set rate plus the cost of materials. I'm going to check out the quality of his workmanship and then will decide.

-Doug