- - - - -

For sale section here?

23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   OldManGuitarNewbie

• Active Members
  • 211 posts
  • Joined 02-February 09

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:06 AM

I have some unused guitar strings I'd like to basically give away but cannot find a "For Sale" section. Is there one here or can anyone suggest a places where I can post that. These are strings, steel and classical, for guitars I no longer own.

Thanks.
Eastman AC412 (K&K Pure Mini), Eastman ETG1,Eastman E10-OM AE, Eastman AC122 CE, Eastman AC 420CESB, Taylor 320 (LR Baggs Lyric)
Pono ATDC-Ce (tenor ukulele), Oscar Schmidt OU53 (baritone ukulele)

#2 OFFLINE   nickcallear

• Active Members
  • 272 posts
  • Joined 09-December 09

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

I think a for sale/trade section would be awesome.
My guitar is not a thing. It is an extension of myself. It is who I am.
Current gear: Ibanez RGR321EX, Jackson DX7, Fender mustang 1 amp.

#3 OFFLINE   shonie777

• Active Members
  • 397 posts
  • Joined 30-November 07

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:02 AM

I totally agree. That would be awesome!

Shonie

#4 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,002 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

Usually,
Many folks sell there stuff on sites like ebay, amazon, etc. It would be nice to have a for sale section here but I think I know why there is not one.
I suppose Clancy will inject something here.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#5 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

I quite enjoy reading ads for stuff people have for sale, even when I'm not interested in buying anything.
But not here. I think this place is OK as it is.
That's just one man's opinion, and I'm not about to be drawn into too much discussion about it.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#6 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,002 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

There was a section that had links to "musicians friend" and other sites to buy from but I do not see it listed as a subcategory at this time.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#7 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 665 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

one of my favourite sites is adverts.ie here in Ireland you can buy sell or even swap your gear ive gotten some good stuff and some crap but i could spend hours on it just looking at guitar stuff on it.
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. B.B. King

#8 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,327 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

I agree with Karcey, this isn't the place for it. Let's stick to guitar topics.

Mike

#9 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,002 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

mickey,
Its the good and the bad that is the problem and would create more problems.

Not long ago, I bought a high end guitar on ebay. This was a great buy and well worth the money. Just so happens that the person I bought it from is a member of GFB&B. I did know this until after the purchase was made. No regrets here because I knew what I was looking for.
One thing the 12th fret had popped up a bit has a buzz, easy fix and no complaints.

#10 OFFLINE   JessThrasher

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,538 posts
  • Joined 23-February 07

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:15 AM

I know that some other forums out there like jemsite.com and sevenstring.org have a "classifieds" type section. I can certainly see some benefits of having something like that on here, but one problem to think about is the creditability of sellers/buyers. A seller/buyer feedback system seems to work in other forums.

Using Paypal as opposed to wiring money, Western Union, or sending cash is a good precaution to take if you can't meet up to pick up an item. Paypal has a dispute feature so if you think you have been scammed, you can file a dispute within 45 days after the transaction.
"Remember to eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends." - Rusty Cooley
"You can't play an instrument for the technicality of it. It's a tool you use it to get what's in here and here [heart and mind] out there." - Marten Hagstrom, Meshuggah

#11 OFFLINE   nickcallear

• Active Members
  • 272 posts
  • Joined 09-December 09

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:34 AM

I like what sevenstring.org dose.you cant post in the for sale section unless you have got over 100 posts but i suppose that dosn't really mean all that much as forum posts will probably be flooded with pointless post.

Dose any body know if this forum tracks users IPs as another forum i was on with another forum tracked users IPs and think it would be good to prevent spammers.
My guitar is not a thing. It is an extension of myself. It is who I am.
Current gear: Ibanez RGR321EX, Jackson DX7, Fender mustang 1 amp.

#12 OFFLINE   GotDeeBlues

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 2,797 posts
  • Joined 22-December 06

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:22 AM

I agree there's no need for a buy/sell section here. There are plenty of sites available to find and sell stuff already set up for paypal transaction, and offer buyer and seller the protection needed. I do quite a bit of my purchasing on E-Bay, and locallly from Craig's list. I don't know how Clancy feels about a member to letting us know they're listing F/S elsewhere or looking for something specific in the gear section seems like a no-hassle approach.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
..Nietzsche

#13 OFFLINE   OldManGuitarNewbie

• Active Members
  • 211 posts
  • Joined 02-February 09

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

Well, I'm still stuck with 3-4 sets of strings with no place to give away/sell them. The other guitar forum to which I belong has a classified section, but one has to be a paid member to use it.....and I'm too cheap!

I just hate to have these strings go to waste. I can't bring myself to toss them, so I suppose they'll go into the "junk pile" of discarded stuff I have in the back closet. How knows, maybe someday I'll get another classical guitar, or decide I want to try Medium steel strings again.
Eastman AC412 (K&K Pure Mini), Eastman ETG1,Eastman E10-OM AE, Eastman AC122 CE, Eastman AC 420CESB, Taylor 320 (LR Baggs Lyric)

#14 OFFLINE   GotDeeBlues

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 2,797 posts
  • Joined 22-December 06

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

See if a local public school has need of them first. Some districts have a "guitar in the classroom" for the kids.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
..Nietzsche

#15 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 665 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

View Posteddiez152, on 08 February 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

mickey,
Its the good and the bad that is the problem and would create more problems.

Not long ago, I bought a high end guitar on ebay. This was a great buy and well worth the money. Just so happens that the person I bought it from is a member of GFB&B. I did know this until after the purchase was made. No regrets here because I knew what I was looking for.
One thing the 12th fret had popped up a bit has a buzz, easy fix and no complaints.

i see what you mean eddie maybe the site would'nt stay friendly for much longer if we were all selling or trading with each other.
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. B.B. King

#16 ONLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

This has come up a few times over the years... and while I think it's a great idea in theory, it isn't a can of worms we really want to open. If you let anyone post in a for sale section it becomes a spamming free for all, if it's based on number of posts, you get people complaining about that and then posting senseless posts so they can reach the post amount... and so on.

Having said all that, if an established member wants to start a topic in the guitar gear forum asking or letting anyone know that they have something they want to sell or buy, we'd really have no issue with that.

Clancy
I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ~ Dr. Seuss

#17 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,002 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

I think folks should be aware of the logistics issues. Members here are from all parts of the globe. Shipping and duties must be considered.
I would tend to think that one could feel comfortable with buying from a trusted member.

In the past I have bought from members. The first was on ebay and later to find it was a member sale. The second was from a member by video conference and knowing the member.

Letting others know you have something to sell might work well providing that all communications on the subject go private messaging with people that have an interest in the sale.

#18 OFFLINE   OldManGuitarNewbie

• Active Members
  • 211 posts
  • Joined 02-February 09

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:28 AM

Thanks Clancy, I'm not sure I'm considered an "established member", but I might offer those strings as you indicated. If anyone complains or whatever, I have no problem with Admin deleting my offer. I just hate to have those strings wasting away in my closest when they could be doing someone some good. I just also remembered that my daughter's boyfriend plays acoustic guitar, so I might offen the steel strings to him, if he can use the Martin Mediums.

Good point also eddiez152, I tend to forget that this forum is not just for folks in the USA. But I'd only offer the strings to those in CONUS, and only accept PayPal as payment. That's best for both me and the potential buyer I think.

#19 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,002 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

Old Man,
You know, its still not a bad idea. Who knows, It certainly worked out great for me and the folks that I bought from.

#20 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:09 AM

Hi everyone
I have a guitar and some other odds and ends I would like to sell...so before I post anything up here I'll just double check that is OK?
Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users