OldManGuitarNewbie

Dumb question - guitar to amp cable - which goes where?

Okay, I know it probably makes no difference, but this has been bugging me.....I have a couple of acoustic-electric guitars/uke, and their cables have two different ends. One end is straight, the other has a 90° bend it in. I have been plugging the 90° into the instrument, and the straight obviously into the amp, but it's got me thinking....what the heck is the CORRECT way? I cannot figure out a benefit to either! :online2lo

nickcallear    5

i would say the bend jack gose into the guitar so when you put the cable though the strap and into the guitar it looks a bit neater than having a straight jack coming out. but thats just me i may be wrong.

mset3    158

OldMan,

It depends on where the jack input is on your guitar. If it is on the face of the guitar I would use the 90 degree bent plug. If it is on the edge of the guitar I would use the straight plug. Run the cable through the guitar strap so if you accidently step on the cable you don't yank the cable out or damage the guitar.

Mike

boroboy41    1

It doesn't make any difference which end plugs in where. On my electric with the plug on the edge of the guitar I use the 90 degree connection there so I can run the cable along the edge and through the strap and then plug the straight connection into the amp. If you had a Fender Strat then the shape and location of the jack socket is more suited to a straight plug which means you have to plug the other end into the amp.

So it depends what you've got and what your personal preference is but either way it'll make no difference to the sound

karcey    42

Well look at it from the manufacturers point of view. If the cables had two bent ends, the Strat players wouldn't buy them. If they had straight ends, there'd be other players who'd give them a miss. So making a cable with different ends (call it a universal cable) offers a greater market share. When players buy a cable they usually buy one that is going to suit their particular setup. I'm sure you won't have to look far to find a cable with two straight ends if that's what you'd prefer.

Well look at it from the manufacturers point of view. If the cables had two bent ends, the Strat players wouldn't buy them. If they had straight ends, there'd be other players who'd give them a miss. So making a cable with different ends (call it a universal cable) offers a greater market share. When players buy a cable they usually buy one that is going to suit their particular setup. I'm sure you won't have to look far to find a cable with two straight ends if that's what you'd prefer.

No no, I don't prefer either cable-end; I just wondered if there is a "right" way to use it. Since all my instruments (guitars, ukes) have the plug on the bottom/middle, I forgot there are other choices to place that plug. Another case of my limited experience! <g>

starsailor    20

As far as I know the bent end was designed for the sockets on the front of a guitar as the straight ones kind of stick up too much, on the side the straight seems better, it's one of those questions not asked much, it should be, it's a good question :yes:

As far as I know the bent end was designed for the sockets on the front of a guitar as the straight ones kind of stick up too much, on the side the straight seems better, it's one of those questions not asked much, it should be, it's a good question :yes:

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Maybe we ought to have a survey......anyone know how to do that here?