lorsban

Music Sharing Sites

lorsban    2

Hey guys,

Besides here, where else do you post your recordings? I post my songs on Soundclick but before, I used to post on Garageband, which was probably the best site for posting your stuff because it required users to review other music. I think it required 10 reviews prior to you being able to post your own song. I think this is an awesome practice because songs are reviewed based on a set of specific criteria, covering all aspects of your recording, from song structure, playing to sound dynamics. So, if your song is weak in certain aspects, users can point it out.

If you've been recording, I think you know that it's common to miss something if you've been listening to the same thing for a long time - your ears sort of get attuned to your song and your style. So, reading reviews and ratings and seeing pro's and con's helps a lot.

Of course, communities such as this can be a tremendous help as well, but there's nothing like hearing reviews from absolute strangers from basically all walks of life. Here, we're more like friends and as friends, we may be prone to "pulling our punches" so to speak, because we never want to hurt each other's feelings.

Soundclick is great and all but I question their method of ranking, which is simply based on number of times played - which to me, may or may not be indicative of how good the song actually is. I mean, a song with a high ranking could be good or it could also just be that the artist has a lot of friends and has been "pimping" it all over. So, what happens to other artists who record good music but don't happen to have that big a community to go to for mileage? That's the site's weakness, in my opinion.

What about you guys? What sites do you post your recordings on and what do you or don't you like about them?

regards,

lorsban

eddiez152    129

I post on Sound Click, You Tube, when its a cover tune. Otherwise, here when original work as the rules state. Here people either listen to you with no comment and reserve judgment to themselves or make some type of comment just to let one know they listened. Some folks get raving reviews, some get kind remarks. But many of us here are just starting out in guitar or recording. Some of us are in the golden years of our life as well. Some are just having some fun and enjoy the instrument.

So from my perspective, I would hope that some of the things that I have done came out OK. Thats good enough for me. I must have played at least one good tune. I must have written at least 1 great lyric (Got 1 lyric honorable mention in Song of the Year) That was cool.

Got some support from people that count at least to me. I am not in a quest to please the world. Just me and anyone who cares to listen.

Of course there are those who would like to know there status in the playing field and may want to seek the opinion of knowledgeable folks and I understand that too.

Hey, that reminds me, I never saw your name come up on any of my tunes. LOL I do remember commenting on yours.

regards

Edward

gasbag    54

I post on Soundclick and YouTube. None of my songs are a cover tune, mostly just a loose rendition of a song or a style I like.

I don't post anything in here just to keep things safe and above board.

Speaking of Soundclick......I had my last one there reach #40 in acoustic guitar.

I was so proud. :clap:

I was thinking of making a trophy for myself but my wife brough me back down off my cloud. :hammers:

I do like Soundclick. I have my own little corner in there and can be left alone if I so desire.

If I want my song out in the competition I can also do that and my friends (both of them) have access to them anytime they want.

lorsban    2

I post on Sound Click, You Tube, when its a cover tune. Otherwise, here when original work as the rules state. Here people either listen to you with no comment and reserve judgment to themselves or make some type of comment just to let one know they listened. Some folks get raving reviews, some get kind remarks. But many of us here are just starting out in guitar or recording. Some of us are in the golden years of our life as well. Some are just having some fun and enjoy the instrument.

So from my perspective, I would hope that some of the things that I have done came out OK. Thats good enough for me. I must have played at least one good tune. I must have written at least 1 great lyric (Got 1 lyric honorable mention in Song of the Year) That was cool.

Got some support from people that count at least to me. I am not in a quest to please the world. Just me and anyone who cares to listen.

Of course there are those who would like to know there status in the playing field and may want to seek the opinion of knowledgeable folks and I understand that too.

Hey, that reminds me, I never saw your name come up on any of my tunes. LOL I do remember commenting on yours.

regards

Edward

Oh where did you comment, on this site? Ya I saw that, I commented on your video here as well.

Soundclick and youtube do their job I guess but I still miss the review system of garageband.

eddiez152    129

Thank you very much than. In all fairness to the other sites, I suppose they can be helpful in crafting your skills and comparing each others work. I am a believer that we all learn a little something when listening to others play. I will have to checkout this garageband site you have mentioned. :winkthumb:

lorsban    2

Thank you very much than. In all fairness to the other sites, I suppose they can be helpful in crafting your skills and comparing each others work. I am a believer that we all learn a little something when listening to others play. I will have to checkout this garageband site you have mentioned. :winkthumb:

Yeah, your video was awesome. Pro-level stuff. I'm definitely not at that level in terms of recording and definitely nowhere near that level in terms of video.

Anyway, garageband.com was great because it required you to review a set number of songs with a specific set of very important criteria, it also has a part where you can comment on aspects of the song and give advice. When you're done with the required reviews, you get to upload your song and recommend aspects you want the listeners to critique, for example, you have a song where you want more feedback on the song structure, so you note it there so that reviewers can give their input.

That was then. Unfortunately, garageband.com was shut down on 2010.

So, I've been looking for other sites ever since but haven't found any that has that review platform.

Personally, the ideal platform is that pro's from the industry listen to your songs and critique every aspect and give advice on how you can improve. But, obviously this will only just be a fantasy. Closest to this would be garageband where you have recording artists like yourself giving peer to peer feedback. And you don't even have to join the forum or anything.

eddiez152    129

I went looking for it and did not find anything. Now I can see why. It sounded like they had a good idea at the time. You might wan to to check out Acoustic Guitar.

lorsban    2

Oh cool. Looking for something more generalized though since I also play electric with distortion etc...Still, nice to know the guitar community has a lot of options when it comes to these things.