carol m

New Leonard Cohen Album Streaming now

carol m    64

It sounds like he might have been having a few relationship issues (Anyhow and Crazy to Love You...so far) and a drug problem. Nothing new then. :laughingg:

starsailor    20

Nice find Carol, I'm on the last track different sides now, good of him to stream it, my favourites are Darkness, and Lullaby, he still sounds brilliant, apparently he's off on tour again too :yes:

Cheers

Chris

carol m    64

Yes it is amazing that they've allowed us to listen to the whole thing for free - I did have to follow a couple of links to find it, but the full stream option is advertised on his Pre-Order page.

That interview is quite interesting too.

Some of those lyrics live up to his habit of leaving his fans to discuss and guess the meanings for years to come - Doug? Any in particular we should have a go at analysing?

Doug    12

A bit late to this but am listening now. Listening to "anyhow" right now and I am really enjoying it. Love the musical vibe and the underhanded sense of humour and the quiet wry feeling that you get when listening. It is very enjoyable.

carol m    64

apparently he's off on tour again too :yes:

Chris

"Money's too tight, to mention" He got swindled out of his backup finances a few years back by some agent or someone similar. I forget the details.

I expect it's all relative - he probably has to make his own coffee in the mornings now......but wait - there's always some gorgeous young thing shacking up with him - she'd be doing the coffee making. It's a tough life, but someone's got to do it (L Cohen that is, not the girl - she's earning her keep).

Doug    12

Hi Carol,

I get the impression he lives fairly modestly. Here is an interview which takes place in his house...

-Doug

carol m    64

What a great interview. He is so articulate in expressing his feelings, and brave too to answer so candidly.

Right at the end: are those worry beads he's fiddling with? They're very popular in Greece - maybe he's been using them since then?

And....get on over there Doug - he virtually gave his address away - tell him I'm a fan (and take your washing).

Doug    12

knock knock knock

door opens...

Oh, hello Mr Cohen.

Uh, hello..?

Just wanted to drop by with my laundry.

[had over laundry]

hmmm, thank you

Carol says to say hi and that she is a big fan.

Oh, that's nice. Tell her I like her poetry.

Do you mind if I come in and have a coffee with your gorgeous young assistant while you're doing my laundry?

No, no, come in. By the way, is that a blue rain coat you're wearing?

I smile and place a long stemmed rose in my teeth...

carol m    64

I can really picture that happening, well most of it, but we need hard evidence (photos, autograph, some personal item of his, souveneered for your bookshelf) - I'm still struggling a bit with the image of you with a long stemmed rose in your teeth. :unsure:

PS By the way, I think you'd have to do your own laundry, getting him to do it for you might be expecting a bit much - there are limits.

Doug    12

Well, on second thoughts, I think I will respect his privacy.

Besides, there's a tear in my blue raincoat (near the shoulder, I think).

carol m    64

What a pity - I really wanted you to go in there and tie her (whichever female you found in residence) to the kitchen chair......and then explain to the world what happens next.

Doug    12

Leonard comes up the stairs after putting my laundry in the washing machine.

He's puffing a bit. "I hope you don't mind - I put put it on colour... what the f...."

His beautiful assistant struggles futilely in the chair. She glances at Leonard with an exasperated look on her face.

With a surprising Irish lilt she says,

"This is the third time this month, I've been tied in this chair..."

I laugh my evil laugh and brandish my sheers.

Snip snip snip and tufts of hair fly.

Soon it becomes apparent that the beautiful assistant is actually...

Yes, Sinead O'Connor is there before us.

[ok, Carol. I'm out of ideas. Over to you to continue. But don't get me in too much trouble...]

carol m    64

Leonard comes over and says ; In my secret life, I like to dominate women and I've found that trying them to the kitchen chair is really very effective....but we're still making love.

Sinaed shouts back 'That's the trouble wiith you Len - you smile when you're angry - you cheat, and you lie!'

Leonard smiles enigmatically and says,'I do what I have to do.... to get by'

He goes on to tell you 'Sinaed has this stupid idea that she wants to join the order of The Sisters of Mercy and take the name of Sister Alexandra. I do what I have to do to stop Alexandra leaving.

Sinaed retorts 'What's wrong with that?? I want to become the modern Joan of Arc, and put those uppity Poms in their place. And to do that I've got to take Holy Orders - besides, I've always fancied the Sisters of Mercy 'cos there was a lovely song about them many years ago - I forget who wrote it'

'And anyway, I keep hearing voices telling me to cut off my hair and wear men's clothes. I don't see what's wrong with that.'

Leonard's sonorous voice is now gentle as he says "Sinaed, Sinaed, you know you have loved too much, going out every night down to Boogie Street, down there where the river is dark, and leading a life of not so quiet, desperation (I think he pinched that line from Pink Floyd....) but I have to do what I have to do to stop you leaving. And you'd only end up getting into all sorts of trouble with the Church and the French authorities. I just know that it would end badly for you'.

I have to go - over to you Doug!

Doug    12

[note to self - careful what you wish for]

During this exchange I've been getting more and more confused.

I say - "let me get this clear..."

They both stop and look at me with piercing looks and say in unison...

"did you ever go clear?"

Now not only am I confused, I'm starting to get scared.

I stammer a bit and say...

"look, I'm going to have to go - I've got to meet someone at the train station."

I can see them roll their eyes.

quickly I snip the satin bonds that I used to tie Sinaed to the chair.

I steal a lock of her hair and bolt for the door feeling completely out of my depth...

"wait" Sinaed says - "I'm leaving with you"

I can see the hurt look in Leonard's eyes

It's hard but I try not to look smug.

Alexandra is leaving with her Doug.

:whistling

carol m    64

You old dog, Doug - I saw you this morning, and you were moving so fast, you were gone before daybreak - but I don't think it'll last. You have to give us the lowdown on your secret life, 'cos I'm dying for the truth. But rest assured, I bite my lip, and I bide what I'm told - from the lates hit, to the wisdom of old. Luckily, I'm always alone, and my heart is like ice, so your secrets are safe with me - your secret life.

And Sinaed: Hold on my sister, hold on tight....and a piece of advice: becoming the modern Joan of Arc is not a good career move. Your dreams will all go up in smoke and all you'll be left with is rather well done toes, and a rather grimy wedding dress.

Also, It's only fair to warn you that the odds are there to beat. You might lose your grip, and slip, so you must be prepared to face your invincible defeat.