- - - - -

Newbie Here

6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   IBnez

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 22-January 12

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:46 AM

Stumbled on your site here while searching for forums that may assist me to improv.

Played acoustic off and on for 20+ years as a rhythm guitarist, and bass for the local church and a garage band several more years, but never learned to improvise leads or melodies.

Made a resolution to memorize the Major, Minor, Blues, Pentatonic, Mixolydian, and Dorian scale structure, and there respective arpeggios in all 7 modes as a gesture of my commitment to learning improvisation. My wonderful wife also bought me an Ibanez Artcore AM93AYS, which is as BEAUTIFUL visually as it is audibly.

I see that a few here take a chord approach to melodies. Would anyone be willing to assist/point me to more information regarding chord style improvisation?

Hoping to glean insights from you all here.

Thanks in advance

Rick
Aging Thrill Seeker

#2 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,217 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:08 AM

Welcome, Rick, and you've come to the right forum.

I've been saying to my members here for years now ... "Melody loves chord tones". That's just a fact when you look into it and it's been my approach for decades now. There's nothing too complicated about it: Form your lines around the ever changing matrix of chord tones that every tune throws up rather than trying to remember scale and modes and juggle them all according to the chord progression. The latter works great for some tunes, doesn't work at all for others, whereas the chord tone approach works for all.

What specifically, would you like to know about it?

#3 OFFLINE   paulg1630

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Joined 17-November 11

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

perhaps i am the same as you ive been playing for some time also but i cant play lead.Ive just started learning and practicing scales also.perhaps because im not really musically minded i didnt know much about them.Its the fact that my friend plays lead in our band that has spurred me to do this and try to get more up to his level cuz im just playing rythmm in the band my ultimate goal is to shred see if i can achieve it in the next few years.

#4 OFFLINE   IBnez

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 22-January 12

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

View PostKirk Lorange, on 22 January 2012 - 08:08 AM, said:

...What specifically, would you like to know about it?

Honestly? an explanation of what it is and how it works... maybe pics of patterns??? I understand power chords and open chords. I'm imagining that if I play an 'A' power chord at the fifth fret that I'd play only those notes covered by my fingers? Yes? But I also think this method more limiting than knowing scales, so I'm betting my imagination is incorrect.

Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Rick
Aging Thrill Seeker

#5 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,217 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:12 PM

Have you seen the three Chord Tone Melody lessons I put together? The first one is here, follow links from there to the other two.

That's a good start ...

#6 ONLINE   6string

• Active Members
  • 3,928 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

Welcome IBenz
Deja Moo: The feeling that youve heard this bull before.

#7 OFFLINE   IBnez

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 22-January 12

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

View Postpaulg1630, on 22 January 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

perhaps i am the same as you ive been playing for some time also but i cant play lead.Ive just started learning and practicing scales also.perhaps because im not really musically minded i didnt know much about them.Its the fact that my friend plays lead in our band that has spurred me to do this and try to get more up to his level cuz im just playing rythmm in the band my ultimate goal is to shred see if i can achieve it in the next few years.

paulg1630,

I feel ya man. I've scoured the web for ways to break my own plateau, and found two other programs that have a lot to offer. However, I'm leaning heavily on PlaneTalk as it seems to make more sense.

View PostKirk Lorange, on 22 January 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:

Have you seen the three Chord Tone Melody lessons I put together? The first one is here, follow links from there to the other two.

That's a good start ...

Kirk,

Thanks. Went through all three. As expected, it leaves out many details, but does offer a glimpse to your approach. It is appealing.

View Post6string, on 23 January 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

Welcome IBenz

6string,

Thanks.
Care sharing your thoughts about Kirk's program?
Aging Thrill Seeker

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users