JessThrasher

Stainless steel strings

JessThrasher    10

I'm wondering, has anyone used stainless steel strings such as Elixirs before? I have only been using nickel wound strings and they seem to last me a while (keeping in mind that I don't play very often lately). If you have used stainless steel or coated strings before, what are the differences? Other than they probably last longer, of course.

wlong    0

I am currently using Elixir nanoweb strings on my acoustic and I don't really notice that much of a difference in sound. The only difference between a coated string and a stainless one that I can think of is that one fights corrosion naturally and the other uses a coating to do so. I’m still out there as to whether or not it’s worth the money because if you wear your strings out playing all the time then I would think that corrosion wouldn’t be something you would have to worry about. There is one other thing that coated strings fight and that is dirt and other junk build up, something that stainless probably won’t do.

Anyway, the reason that I bought the nanowebs over regular strings is because I only play for about a hour a day and I noticed that my uncoated two month old strings had started to show signs of corrosion and gunk build up (major change of color).

shonie777    3

I tried the Nanowebs once. They felt too slippery and felt as if they were gonna break at anytime. Eventually they did break and I went back to Nickle wound. Martins to be exact.

Shonie

I have friends who swear by Elixirs, so I tried them. Didn't care for them all that much. They felt... different... and I didn't leave them on long enough to get used to them. Tried several different brand names through the years, but I've most always used Ernie Ball strings and also have a couple electric gittars strung with DR's. My acoustics are strung with nickel Martin strings. Like gittars, you need to try different strings out to see what suits you...the difference being that you can try out a gittar and then put it back on the wall. With strings you have to buy them to see how you like them.